Evolving Uniform Opinions

BJ Sands

I didn’t love the Jags set when it came out. But the more games I watch, the more they grow on me. If the helmet was one color, it would be a great uni.

I hated the Browns uniforms when they came out, but like the Jags set I think they could make a few tweaks and have a decent uni. 

I used to LOVE Adidas shockweb pattern on football uniforms...there. I said it. Don’t worry I hate them now.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Spot on. I love grey masks, but you definitely have to make them work. It’s not a universal “this always looks good” kind of choice. It *can* always look good, but it’s completely dependent on the vibe of the other components.

I also agree about the sleeve numbers. One thing that reeealy bugs me is a jersey with a UCLA-esque loop, but with the numbers on the shoulder, above the loop, instead of under the loop where they belong. For example, the Patriots’ uniform would be much cleaner if the numbers moved to where the logo is on the sleeve.

100%. i'll give you one team that is doesn't work for: Arizona Cardinals. everything they do from an identity standpoint is still quite modern and forward thinking (even the Reebok era uni) but the gray mask is out of place because it represents the past. it still looks fine, but what that element represents and the "personality" of the others (stripes, logo, stadium, typography, etc) are very different

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I used to think this was a modern classic that should be brought back untouched...

4gMdLUv.png

But this just blows it out of the water.  Replacing the black and white stripes for a larger grey stripe makes things so much cleaner.  The only thing wrong with this uniform is the bone-headed decision to outline the sleeve numbers with maroon instead of silver.

aN78RVh.png

11 hours ago, Morgo said:

I used to think this was modern classic that should be brought back untouched...

4gMdLUv.png

But this just blows it out of the water.  Replacing the black and white stripes for a larger grey stripe makes things so much cleaner.  The only thing wrong with this uniform is the bone-headed decision to outline the sleeve numbers with maroon instead of silver.

aN78RVh.png

Idk why they'd outline it in maroon. It creates a bigger contrasts and doesn't go with the rest of the font colours on the jersey. Maybe it was because it would create a silver kind of blob with that stripe being right next to it?

I never used to like numbers with no outline but I've begun to appreciate how bold they are.

49 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I used to not think twice about liking a uniform. These boards make me notice all the imperfections. It's a blessing and a curse; I hate it.

This. All this. If I wasn't on here I'd probably love the Niners' uniform because it has great colors and looks sweet on TV. Now it bothers me that black is in the helmet logo but nowhere else and how gold is absent on the jerseys even though it's the color of the helmet and pants.

Speaking of evolving opinions, I used to love the Niners' old uniforms...

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I used to not think twice about liking a uniform. These boards make me notice all the imperfections. It's a blessing and a curse; I hate it.

That's true.  I'll love the creamsicle Bucs until the day I die. But if I'd never found these boards I don't think I (a non-designer) would have ever realized that Bucco Bruce is a terrible logo with far too much detail.  Similarly, the issue with the Twins "TC" (the "C" not contrasting enough with the cap) that leads some people to prefer the "M" is something I never would have realized on my own.  

I'm still just a guy who "likes what he likes" but I do have a little bit of extra understanding of good and bad elements that have sort helped change my opinions on a few things.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

15 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

100%. i'll give you one team that is doesn't work for: Arizona Cardinals. everything they do from an identity standpoint is still quite modern and forward thinking (even the Reebok era uni) but the gray mask is out of place because it represents the past. it still looks fine, but what that element represents and the "personality" of the others (stripes, logo, stadium, typography, etc) are very different

Yeah. The helmet looks fine on its own because it's so simple (really, it's not that much different than their classic helmet), but the uniform is not cohesive. The best option for a uniform that works with their current helmet is probably just their old uniform, but with black trim around the numbers and a simple red pant stripe with matching black trim.

14 hours ago, Morgo said:

I used to think this was modern classic that should be brought back untouched...

4gMdLUv.png

aN78RVh.png

3 hours ago, Tanny81 said:

Idk why they'd outline it in maroon. It creates a bigger contrasts and doesn't go with the rest of the font colours on the jersey. Maybe it was because it would create a silver kind of blob with that stripe being right next to it?

I don't care for those captain patches, but I also think the silver is a huge improvement on this set. Honestly, I think a silver outline on the sleeve numbers would make them feel too thick because the white and silver are so close in value, so I'd probably go with solid silver sleeve numbers/captain patches, and even silver nameplate lettering, adi logo, and cut the trim on the shoulder mark down to just silver. I guess at that point the logo outline should be silver, too. :-)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 1/17/2018 at 9:43 AM, WavePunter said:

While I agree 100% with the Ucla loop comment, I think the Patriots and Panthers fall more into the Texans/USC category with their loops.. They're not quite shoulder, not quite sleeve, so I give both teams a pass on their "above the loop" numbers.. However, both might have a cleaner look if they ditched the sleeve logos and moved the numbers down..

Which leads me to my next uniform opinion.. I used to like teams with logos on the sleeve, but the scope of that opinion has changed significantly.. Now, I really dislike repeating the helmet logo on the sleeve.. If you have a solid secondary logo (like the early Jaguars or current Eagles), then it's a great look, but if your only options are helmet logo and numbers, then numbers win every time..

Another good one. It's gotta be a different logo on the sleeve. 100%. What's more, I think a logo, plus shoulder stripe, plus number is just too much stuff to cram onto a jersey sleeve/shoulder today. Pick two.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 1/15/2018 at 3:53 PM, MCM0313 said:

When the Rams unveiled their 2000 uniform changes, I thought they were awful. Now, while I still think they were a downgrade from what came before, I also consider them the best major overhaul or update of 2000-05. If they still had the metallic gold pants (and that rich gold color as opposed to the lighter Vegas gold), they really wouldn't NEED to change - granted they would still WANT to because those uniforms are identified with St. Louis, but they'd still look pretty good anyway.

The evolution of my opinion here is almost identical to that of my opinion of the 1997-present Broncos set. Both replaced classics but weren't so bad themselves.

I'm the opposite of you. I loved the Rams uniforms when they made their debut during the "Greatest Show on Turf" days. In fact, they were one of my favorites in the NFL. I always was attracted to the gold color. At the time, I thought the were an upgrade over the 1999 Rams unis. I was in middle school at the time, so my tastes in uniforms were a little different then than they are now. But as I grew older, I begin to hate the Rams millennium unis. Ditching the gold pants surely didn't help. Today, I love the old school Rams unis and wished they had never changed them in the first place.

9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Another good one. It's gotta be a different logo on the sleeve. 100%. What's more, I think a logo, plus shoulder stripe, plus number is just too much stuff to cram onto a jersey sleeve/shoulder today. Pick two.

I agree that all 3 is a bit much.. I think it can work, but usually doesn't.. Longer, slender logos like the old full body jaguar or flying Elvis make it work better than bulkier logos for sure.. The Panthers are on the cluttered side of things..

My ideal solution for the Panthers jersey situation is this:

Current Rams navy blue jersey template

(With gold shoulder insert)

The shoulder insert on that jersey is trimmed on the bottom side by extra-thick white trim/piping.. Use that same trim on the top side as well to create a modern version of the Panthers' 3-color shoulder loop.. It would be an existing current template (USC, Texans, Rams) with minimal modification (adding thick trim/piping to both sides of the shoulder insert), to recreate an aesthetic in a more efficient way that translates better to the modern template.

On 1/15/2018 at 5:47 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I, like many, despised the Marlins 2012 identity. I didn't like how the teal was dropped and replaced with orange. I didn't like how the blue was minimal. I didn't like the logo and I didn't like the uniforms.

Now, I like their newer identity, the colors are great. It's a look that says "we're from Miami, :censored:ing Florida". Yeah, I'd still like blue emphasized more than orange, but that's the only nitpick I have with them.

On 1/15/2018 at 8:40 PM, OnWis97 said:

But the Marlins is one of 'em.  I hated it at first.  But it's grown on me.  I wish they used less black, but the look has grown on me overall.

Yeah the Marlins are a perfect example for this thread. I think they're rebrand was originally put off mostly because their previous look was so great and their new look was so far removed from that Florida Marlins look. If, say, the 2012 rebrand was for an all new team, and not connected to anything before it, the initial response may have been better. The Marlins now could definitely use some tweaks to improve but their set is not as bad as it was received in 2011/12 and many are finally admitting that.

With that said, I'm also reminded of the 04-11 Blue Jays set as well. Definitely not a "great" uniform set but one that some are finally starting to see positives in... but again it has to be seen, somehow, separately from the classic Blue Jays sets that came both before and after it. 

I just thought of a really obvious one...I had not quite articulated it to myself until just recently.

The Wild's evolution from day 1 to now.  Historically, I've said that every change the Wild have made (prior to the most recent one) has been bad.  I did not (and still do not) like the way they shrunk the logo into a circle or used a collegesque script.  I always said that they got it right on day 1.  But I think I like them better today.  I don't think they nailed the uniforms.  I hate the way the sleeve numbers on the homes are not outlined, unlike the backs (or the roads).  I'm not totally sold on the chest strip and I think the trim on the road jersey needs some red.  But I think the overall image is a bit more green, red, and cream.  They've toned down the gold and I think that's definitely a step in the right direction. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I still can't get used to the NHL wearing dark at home. 

I miss Oregon's dark (mallard) green helmets.

I have grown to hate the Washington Football uniforms, after originally liking the possibilities (frosted white helmet anyone?)

I now love the Seahawks look, did not at first - missed the steel blue.  I do wish they would mix it up a bit though - Blue over white or grey, Wolf Grey over blue, more white over white or grey, etc.  I loved the Browns re-do, but like Seattle, no mixing it up anymore (unpopular opinion, I know)

I miss metallic pants paired with metallic helmets, but doubt they will ever be back.   

I can't believe chrome is still a thing in college football.

I've hated the Cardinals and Patriots striping, and still do.   

I hated the Eagles switch to Midnight Green - but now they seem perfect to me. 

I originally thought the Dolphins update was really nice - but I really miss the retro look now. 

I loved the Redskins home jersey over yellow pants, but now it is seen too often.  Could mix it up with white and burgundy pants.  I still like the white over yellow though.  They need to make the Cowboys wear blue when at home.  

BYU in dark blue looks fine, but not when compared to the retro royal look.  I wish they would just switch back now. 

I originally missed the 49rs old dark burgundy (black highlights) and dark gold look - but really, their colors are perfect now. 

I used to love the Canucks' skate logo, because it reminded me of Judas Priest's 1982 album Screaming for Vengeance by Doug Johnson.

Judas_Priest_SforV.jpg  8381_vancouver_canucks-jersey-1986.png

I still like the album and its cover art (I prefer Priest's Roslaw Szaybo-designed covers from 1978-81), but my love of the logo faded once I realized that it looked like a jumbled mess and didn't reflect the meaning behind the team name. Now I'm a "Johnny Canuck or bust" guy.

I used to like Black For Black's Sake uniforms.

Actually, at the time it hadn't quite become BFBS.  It was more Black Because It's Cool.  Few teams had black alternates and they generally looked decent enough.  And then it devolved into unmitigated chaos and my opinion shifted.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I used to think alternate courts to match alternate uniforms were stupid.

Now I see the Bulls and Heat wear their City uniforms on their standard courts and it looks off. If alternate courts aren't a big hassle, more teams should adopt them.

On 1/15/2018 at 2:53 PM, MCM0313 said:

When the Rams unveiled their 2000 uniform changes, I thought they were awful. Now, while I still think they were a downgrade from what came before, I also consider them the best major overhaul or update of 2000-05. If they still had the metallic gold pants (and that rich gold color as opposed to the lighter Vegas gold), they really wouldn't NEED to change - granted they would still WANT to because those uniforms are identified with St. Louis, but they'd still look pretty good anyway.

The evolution of my opinion here is almost identical to that of my opinion of the 1997-present Broncos set. Both replaced classics but weren't so bad themselves.

The Rams have also changed their uniforms so many times during that 2000 - 2012 period. They introduced gold pants with a stripe, without a stripe, ditched the striped one, introduced blue pants, ditched them for striped blue pants, removed the side panels on the jersey, and ditched the gold pants completely. All in 12 years.

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

On 1/17/2018 at 8:52 PM, Morgo said:

I used to think this was a modern classic that should be brought back untouched...

4gMdLUv.png

aN78RVh.png

Probably a #unpopularopinion here, but I actually much prefer the black/white stripes to the solid, overbearing gray one. The gray stripe looks incomplete and bland, like a placeholder for a future design. It's too sterile, IMO.

I'd have been happy to see a return of the Avs' old jerseys, just with the current number font.

Archived