Evolving Uniform Opinions

BJ Sands

On 1/22/2018 at 8:39 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yeah the Marlins are a perfect example for this thread. I think they're rebrand was originally put off mostly because their previous look was so great and their new look was so far removed from that Florida Marlins look. If, say, the 2012 rebrand was for an all new team, and not connected to anything before it, the initial response may have been better. The Marlins now could definitely use some tweaks to improve but their set is not as bad as it was received in 2011/12 and many are finally admitting that.

With that said, I'm also reminded of the 04-11 Blue Jays set as well. Definitely not a "great" uniform set but one that some are finally starting to see positives in... but again it has to be seen, somehow, separately from the classic Blue Jays sets that came both before and after it. 

I agree wholeheartedly on the Marlins. As for the Blue Jays, the only thing I liked about that dumb set was the grey hat they wore at home in 2004 only. BFBS is annoying enough on its own, but when it's used for a team with the word "blue" in its name, it's maddening. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I agree wholeheartedly on the Marlins. As for the Blue Jays, the only thing I liked about that dumb set was the grey hat they wore at home in 2004 only. BFBS is annoying enough on its own, but when it's used for a team with the word "blue" in its name, it's maddening. 

It is even more maddening because their reasoning to having a black and gray first color scheme was to “look hip to attract the kids”. I can honestly tell you I didn’t like them, as I followed baseball during their final days in those (2008 or so, pretty much as soon as I could understand how the sport worked). So if the fans who followed the Jays in the 80s and 90s didn’t like them, and the younger fans didn’t like them, it makes the franchise look stupid. The black alternates that they wore too much were hideous. The white jersey was bland and over all just ugly. And didn’t they use a black leaf logo once? Just stupid.

When the Astros introduced with their current set, I wasn't impressed and even made my first concept using a sans serif font instead of the block. Though I was glad the brick and black were gone. Now I can't look at it without breaking into a cheesy grin, for obvious reasons. The set that proceeded it, I hated it at first, grew on me when the 'Stros got better, but went back hating it again after the Stros went to garbage. Especially since I LOVED the blue and gold set. Thought the Rainbow Guts were gaudy, now I love them and wish they did a modern version instead of half-a like the BP's. 

Likewise, the Rockets current I liked at first since it replaced the snaggletooth pajamas. Now, not so much. I did like their old ketchup and mustard alts. The Nike redesign helped some things, but I wish they used the black alts as the template for their current set. If they win it all this year, I'll have mixed feelings if they change. 

Texans, I hated their home set because it wasn't red like I envisioned. But, I fell in love with the team and the uniforms especially getting the Battle Red alts. Now, I just hate the current combos. The yoga pant roads have not helped at all and I've grown tired over of blue over white. Either Battle Red over white (either sock will do) or Blue over red a la the Kardiac Kids Browns which was my earliest football uni memory. As for away, all white or maybe with red pants. I didn't like 2016's Red over blue as much I thought I would. Just wish they were red to match their warm-colored brethren (and set us apart from Dallas and the six other teams that use navy blue).

Others:
Shocked when the Bucs ditched the creamsicles. Now I miss the original red and pewters along with the rest of y'all. 

Thought Dallas' double stars were gaudy too, now I wish they were their primaries. It would be asymmetrical if they kept their current navy jerseys but at least both would use the same colors. 

Archived