The Guardian rebrands

CS85

to sum it up in a sentence, i'd say the aesthetic is "they've gone from internet news, to print news". i wonder if a general newspaper design is becoming just retro enough to be cool now? theres a lot of things that are right about that look. it feels like the wordmark has moved out of the college dorm and into a sweet, Victorian house. it's grown up well. i dig it 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

12 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

to sum it up in a sentence, i'd say the aesthetic is "they've gone from internet news, to print news". i wonder if a general newspaper design is becoming just retro enough to be cool now? theres a lot of things that are right about that look. it feels like the wordmark has moved out of the college dorm and into a sweet, Victorian house. it's grown up well. i dig it 

It's a bitch to review designs that toe the line between retro and timeless.  It may just be semantics, really.  The blue shades of the original wordmark may have been unique to The Guardian, but it also smacked intensely of the original facebook scheme.  This feels like wrought iron.  Does that make it retro, or are they aiming for timeless?  I guess it's up to me.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't like how thin some of the letters get in parts.  To my brain, they're not fluid letters / words, more like lots of shapes that need to be pieced together to decipher what it is.  That's obviously an exaggeration, as that all happens in an instant, but to me at first glance, it's not as legible..

EDIT:  like the "r" for example.  It's almost two separate shapes connected by a thread.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived