Should NFL teams be allowed wear their alternate for the Super Bowl?

gothedistance

Lets talk about this. Do you think NFL teams should have the choice to wear a uniform other than their main sets in the Super Bowl? How good would it be for a team to be allowed to wear an alternate or color rush uniform/jersey for the big game?

There was a time when the home team had to wear their dark color for the Super Bowl but then it was changed. I think it would be cool to see teams with an outstanding third jersey wear them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. If the alt is so much better than their standard set, then they should have switched it then. If the owner, team, whoever views a certain set worthy of their standard set then that is the one they go with. It's not for our enjoyment, it's the team who decides what. So no. 

Go A's!

The Cavs and Cubs both won historic titles in alternate uniforms and (at least for us geeks) they mar the visuals.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The 49ers were allowed to wear their throwbacks for SB XXIX (and if the Cowboys had beaten them in the NFC Championship Game, I think they would have worn their Double Star fauxbacks, because they wore those against the Niners). But It hasn't become standard to allow the alternate, and I don't see it going that way.

Matter of fact, I feel that, like the NBA has pretty much stepped away from Christmas uniforms, the NFL will let the Color Rush thing go away.

IDK about y’all, but I wouldn’t be upset if the Patriots decide to wear their Color Rush jersey with their silver pants in the Super Bowl. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

My .02 says no. Why? Because, like mentioned, I’d rather see a titan or charger alt, but what you’d get is someone going color rush, someone going mono, or someone doing some sort of new combo for a big game. Obviously, the teams who have multiple opinions don’t leave these types of decisions to knowledgeable people like us, but rather to players or fans that use the term fire and prefer chrome helmets with a blurry chrome logo and the love of anthracite 

KISSwall09.jpg

I'll take it a step further, if it works I'd love to see color vs. color ...

This would of been an awesome match up last year.

New-England-Patriots-to-Face-Atlanta-Fal

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I think the super bowl no. But in baseball basketball and hockey where they are playing up to 7 games it’s nice to see something different than just the basics every night they play. The games start to blend together if it’s a specific uni matchup 4 times and another one (usually same uniforms but inverted colors) 3 times. It can be a little tough. I like the idea of that they are allowed to wear alts as long as they are in original team colors, no new logos, as in like let the warriors wear yellow for a game, but none of the fancy gimmick stuff with “the town” or Chinese New Year stuff. And I think there needs to be a rule that if the series could end, it has to be home and away because in future years, those are the games we remember the most, and seeing gimmick unis doesn’t sound good with that. Nobody in general remembers game 2s of the World Series, but you bet we remember game 7s.

But for football where it’s one and done, I say they should not be allowed Alts, simply because some teams may go too far. I’m thinking about like 49ers black, Seahawks green, but it can be a beautiful thing too, with chargers light blue, jags teal, ravens color rush. Just remember these are some iconic colors and for a game we will watch in many years down the line. I said it above that if the game has the ability to eliminate a team, it should be home vs away because those are the games we remember. Nobody wants to look back and see the black 49ers, or the neon green Seahawks. We know those teams for their identities they have used for decades, not the fun uniform the team wore for 5 games. Although I’d love to see my jags in teal, the owners decided we were a black jersey team a while ago, and were stuck to that.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

there's 2 different philosophies on this; do you 1.) wear what is most recognizable 2.) put on something special. 

i think better questions are how much does it matter? what are the lasting effects of either choice? what kind of "party" is the SB, and how should that determine how you dress?  

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I generally agree that teams should be content with their home or road look, but I did think of two different approaches/levels to alts in the Super Bowl...

- The most restrictive or special case would be if a team has already decided that it's going to switch full-time to a set based on their current alt for the next season. In a way, the alt might be more appropriate in that special context.

- If you were going to allow alts other than in the situation above, I would only allow alts that are palate-swapped versions of the regular home/road uniform. The Broncos could wear either their navy or orange version of their current uniforms (I don't know if the navy is still officially an alt, but you get the idea), but the Bills couldn't wear their throwback unis. No helmet changes. No BFBS.

Archived