Changes to Arizona's Numbers

Ted Cunningham

It's been my impression that Arizona's current number font is not terribly popular with the majority of members on the boards. (Am I right in thinking that?) While I don't think they're the best-designed numbers I've ever seen, I think they do have quite a bit of potential. I don't care for the pointed serifs, though they do balance out the weights of the various numbers and, along with the rounded parts of the counters, add a certain character to the set. And, as a rule, I don't like open-topped 4s. So, with a skew toward giving Arizona's numbers a "throwback" or classic look, I made changes to the set. I'm not a designer by trade, and I certainly don't claim to understand the intricacies of type design (especially intentional design to improve readability, etc.), so I am open to any and all C&C. The original Nike set is on top, and my variation is on the bottom:

AZnos.png

I think perhaps the most changed and potentially generic number in my update is the 4. I didn't know exactly what to do with it, but leaving it open wasn't an option so as to not break my rule. Ha. I realize that with Nike's original, the angle of the left side of the 4 appears to match the angle in the 7 and 9. In my version, I kept the crossbar at the same height, but closed the top. I think there are a lot of variations for the 4 though:

AZ4s.png

I think of the 6 options here, no. 2 may be the one that stays closest to the original while closing the top.

Anyway, thoughts?

I feel like it's either #5 or #6 because of the bottom serif (like on the 7).  My personal favorite is #5.  You may want to flatten the point on the left side?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived