AFC / NFC championship game end zones

klmccann

I saw on You tube last night that in 1987, the Cleveland Browns painted one end zone of Municipal stadium to say "Broncos" and the opposite end zone was painted for the home team.  How many times has this happened were the visiting team had their nickname painted in the end zone ?  Is there a rule now that prohibits this type of "decoration"

My guess is maybe the NFL brought in their own grounds crews for Championship games in the earlier years, thus visitor end zones.

No way that happens now. With the high stakes amplified, as well as the focus on the mental game and psychological advantages increased so much that teams have full time people to think of gaining those advantages, no team will put their opponents name in one end zone at their own home field.

In terms of modern times., some of the London games have done this.  Before you say that’s a neutral site, it’s a little interesting because sometimes they’ll go home team logo at 50 yard line but still give visiting team one end zone. So they do consider it a home game for one team. Off top of my head Rams had that in 2016. 

The jets and giants do this for their preseason game against each other.  The whole stadium will be turned over to the home team- ring of honor, wrap etc. but “road” team gets one end zone. 

The other one I know is the saints at giants stadium after Katrina. They tried to make it as much like a saints home game as possible so they gave them the end zones (I think both). 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

9 hours ago, goforbroke said:

In terms of modern times., some of the London games have done this.  Before you say that’s a neutral site, it’s a little interesting because sometimes they’ll go home team logo at 50 yard line but still give visiting team one end zone. So they do consider it a home game for one team. Off top of my head Rams had that in 2016. 

The jets and giants do this for their preseason game against each other.  The whole stadium will be turned over to the home team- ring of honor, wrap etc. but “road” team gets one end zone. 

The other one I know is the saints at giants stadium after Katrina. They tried to make it as much like a saints home game as possible so they gave them the end zones (I think both). 

no6.0.jpg

Giants did a crap job and gave them one end zone.

Archived