Super Bowl LIII logo

Pharos04

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

I honestly don't know which is lazier. The current Post-50 logos, or the XLV-XLIX logos with just the stadium backdrop. 

Obviously the post 50, at least the XLV-XLIX logos had something to differentiate and regionalize them, however minute it was.

Here's a thought on why blue for the logo, if this is in fact the logo. For Super Bowl LI, the host city team is in the AFC, so red logo. SB LII, host city team is an NFC team, so blue logo. Now, SB LIII, is hosted in the city of another NFC team, so another blue logo. It's so stupid that this might actually be true.

57 minutes ago, pitt6pack said:

Here's a thought on why blue for the logo, if this is in fact the logo. For Super Bowl LI, the host city team is in the AFC, so red logo. SB LII, host city team is an NFC team, so blue logo. Now, SB LIII, is hosted in the city of another NFC team, so another blue logo. It's so stupid that this might actually be true.

In the League's flawed view of what matters, this sadly makes sense.  if that were the case, LIV would be red and LV would be blue and then LVI would be......uhh....purple?

BTW just pointing out the absolute loss that is Super Bowl LV not being held in Las Vegas as well as LVI not being held at LeVI's Stadium.  50 should've been at LA Memorial and it would've helped a lot of this.  Oh well, No Fun League strikes again

19 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

I honestly don't know which is lazier. The current Post-50 logos, or the XLV-XLIX logos with just the stadium backdrop. 

17 hours ago, zigbazah said:

How is it possible to botch a logo system this badly? 

There are plenty of people (albeit the minority) that don’t feel that they botched it, and appreciate the consistency. I am one who feels that it stenghtens the brand. 

Quite frankly, “lazy” is the most overused critique of any design. It’s fine not to like it, but calling a design (that had likely a dozen people signing off on it) “lazy” indicates a total lack of understanding of the process. 

Im not going to pretend that the actual finished product took months or even weeks to draw, but I’d bet that months or maybe even years of study, concepts, prototypes, edits, etc went into what they have now. 

With th all the seemingly random patches that teams wear these days (anniversary, man of the year, captain, memorial, etc) the SB patch is the one thing that’s now consistent and instantly recognized as being for the big game. It gives players something to shoot for (“Ive played my whole career to wear the Lombardi trophy on my jersey”) and much like the finals graphic package,  creates more of a big-event feel to the game. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:
20 hours ago, zigbazah said:

How is it possible to botch a logo system this badly? 

There are plenty of people (albeit the minority) that don’t feel that they botched it, and appreciate the consistency. I am one who feels that it stenghtens the brand. 

Right.  The Super Bowl should ideally have a consistent visual identity, not one that changes every year.  The NBA had it right with their Finals logo that became so identifiable, as did Major League Baseball in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with a World Series logo that took on a life of its own.

Image result for nba finals logo       Related image

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Quite frankly, “lazy” is the most overused critique of any design. It’s fine not to like it, but calling a design (that had likely a dozen people signing off on it) “lazy” indicates a total lack of understanding of the process. 

The issue becomes when you go from colorful, lively host centered logos to a utilitarian, single look logo. The CFL had a set way to display the Grey Cup game logo and even when they changed to the current design requirements they tried to add something that displayed the city hosting the game as well. The stadium addition to the Super Bowl logos didn't work as well because they were required to be minimalistic and placed behind the numbers which made reading the logo from certain angles difficult. 

Image result for gfl grey cup logosRelated image

Image result for super bowl logosRelated image

Even though it's not an official logo this design by @logoroy shows what a little bit of local flavor can add to a championship logo.

Image result for super bowl logos

Even the host committee logos represent the game better, in my opinion.

Image result for super bowl logosRelated image

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 minutes ago, jc... said:

If you are going to number them with Roman Numerals, then that gives each Super Bowl individuality. And it should be that way. 

When LII and LIII are next to each other I'd like to have something other than the color bar help me differentiate between games when I take a quick glance at the logo.

Did you mean simply adding the roman numerals to the host logos, like Houston? I agree with you on that.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Ill agree that the stadium logos don’t really work well for their intended purpose and given the requirements just can’t really look good. 

Nobody called the SCF patch “lazy”, or the O’Brien patch. If anything, “lazy” is a cliche Mardi Gras theme for New Orleans, peach for Atlanta, rose for rose bowl, etc. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived