Leeds United New Crest

UnclearInitial

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

I’m going to guess they’ll go back to their regular crest within 5 years. It looks like a PES generic team logo

DUTZjzIWsAAlAf7?format=jpg&name=large

5 years? With the current backlash I'm seeing it'll be 5 days.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

33 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Okay, I’ll play contrarian.  I like it. 

I love using the Leeds Salute. And I don’t think they’ve ever had a great badge on which to draw, so I appreciate the lateral thinking.

Screen-Shot-2018-01-22-at-09.12.07-768x1

Solid upgrade. 

You're gonna need to elaborate on this.

17 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

You're gonna need to elaborate on this.

What’s to elaborate?  They’re using an identifiable and personal symbol of the club.

It’s also replacing a terrible badge. I have family as friends in Yorkshire. I know supporters who dislike the old Leeds badge because it’s a symbol of failure and mismanagement, and supporters who like it because it’s just an ugly design. I don’t know anyone who actually likes it.

When replacing an ugly modern design, my first instinct is to look to the past, to take inspiration from an older design.  But I don’t think Leeds’s past has anything worth borrowing.  So look forward, blazing a brand new trail. 

Sure, this one is unusual.   But that doesn’t automatically make it bad. 

29 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

What’s to elaborate?  They’re using an identifiable and personal symbol of the club.

It’s also replacing a terrible badge. I have family as friends in Yorkshire. I know supporters who dislike the old Leeds badge because it’s a symbol of failure and mismanagement, and supporters who like it because it’s just an ugly design. I don’t know anyone who actually likes it.

When replacing an ugly modern design, my first instinct is to look to the past, to take inspiration from an older design.  But I don’t think Leeds’s past has anything worth borrowing.  So look forward, blazing a brand new trail. 

Sure, this one is unusual.   But that doesn’t automatically make it bad. 

Yes, Leeds' old logo is generally ugly and cluttered. 

Yes, Leeds have never had a great logo to go on.

That's not an excuse to pull something like this out. Is the salute an identifiable, and personal symbol of the club? To a degree, yes. But the white rose of Yorkshire is also a much better symbol for the largest club in Yorkshire, and it looks ridiculously better. Some guy on twitter literally just switched the fan for the rose and the logo looked like an upgrade over the previous ones. 

I really do hope Leeds take his idea, otherwise they'll have one of the worst logos in England. 

colorado_jonas_sig_by_verasthebrujah-d9pt2sl.jpg.6a5f5d5469d9aee56cb75c7776d95240.jpg

9sa7mHv.gif

I think the peacock or especially the white rose of Yorkshire were both solid starting points for a logo. Updating the 1984 crest would have been the right choice. We’ve seen updates of worst logos in the past (notably the Man City badge inside a roundel).

I don’t think a piece of fan culture should be the main representation of the team. It would be like the Packers having a cheesehead logo or Auburn using a tree covered in toilet paper as their logo.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived