Leeds United New Crest

UnclearInitial

27 minutes ago, Digby said:

The best design is both well-crafted and distinctive, and those two things are close to equal in importance. Perhaps the Crew check off 1 and not 2, while Leeds checks off 2 and not 1.

Yeah, I think the Crew badge is well done, but there's pretty much nothing about it that actually feels relevant -- you could slap any other club's name and colors onto that logo, change the 96 to whatever the last two digits of that club's founding year was, and it probably wouldn't look out of place.

This isn't to say that all logos need to be overly unique -- they don't -- but they should at least be specific to something that has to do with the club. The only design element that is particularly unique or special to the Crew is the shape of the old logo that's a minor part of the new crest, which is why it feels bland or generic.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Digby said:

The best design is both well-crafted and distinctive, and those two things are close to equal in importance. Perhaps the Crew check off 1 and not 2, while Leeds checks off 2 and not 1.

there also has to be a message that connects with people and communicates clearly. a logo (as is all graphic design) is communication, whether its a single letter that represents a city or an intricate crest that has a lot of history written in it. i think the Leeds mark was (since its gone now) well crafted and distinctive, but was completely lame in concept— even if the idea behind it was clear (i think everyone picked up on the salute) its just not a great idea/message to start with. no one wants to be a fan of the team with a fan as its symbol, its just really odd and doesn't connect as something people can rally around. it should be used as the prime example of how "a logo just needs to look good" is complete bonk

the most important thing though, is equity and what a logo comes to represent after years of events, games, players, whatever being poured into it. and this is where the Crew can be used as a perfect example. their current logo is a much better piece of art and in my opinion very distinctive due to color and pattern, but doesn't have nearly the "DNA" and history of the old. and in that aspect, i believe is a lesser symbol for the Crew, but its only a matter of time (assuming they stay in town) before it gets to where it needs to be

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I don't follow the Premier League (is Leeds United even part of that?) so for me, this is one of those "okay in a vacuum" logos. Whereas, the logo in of itself doesn't really bother me, but I don't know anything about the history of the club or even much about Leeds. But given how unpopular this has become, I can only assume the logo doesn't really do much to embrace the Leeds culture.

This logo definitely feels too corporate.  One of those designs by compromise.  If anything it looks like a logo for the fanbase rather than the team itself. Nothing about it feels inspired.  It almost looks like a guy who has to hit his chest to help with a cough.  I don't follow the EPL or know anything about the Leeds Salute but it certainly shouldn't be something that's conveyed on an official team crest like that.  If anything, if they did proceed with it, it sets up an easy way to mock the team if they lose! (similar to how the Saints' coach was doing the Skol gesture before the Vikings won the game).  You can't set yourself up for that. They say 10,000 people were consulted over 6 months but what does that mean? did they find 10,000 people who liked the crest? yet 51,000 don't like it? obviously internet petitions can be inflated but that still doesn't seem like a good number of who they supposedly consulted. So definitely throw this one in the bin with the 49ers One-Day logo and other poor logo choices that are almost immediately discarded.

On 2018-01-24 at 9:17 AM, Gothamite said:

Okay, I’ll play contrarian.  I like it. 

I love using the Leeds Salute. And I don’t think they’ve ever had a great badge on which to draw, so I appreciate the lateral thinking.

Screen-Shot-2018-01-22-at-09.12.07-768x1

Solid upgrade. 

73-77 look like someone took the Brewers glove logo and dropped it as a child.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/club-news/23062/club-statement-crest-update

Due to the volume of ideas and designs submitted by fans and their focus around celebrating our 100-year anniversary, we can confirm that we will now be introducing a new club crest on the shirt for the 2019/2020 centenary season and beyond.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all fans for the inspiration they have provided which, following further consultation with supporters’ groups, will form the basis of a democratic vote later this year. We look forward to our loyal and passionate fans selecting a crest that will proudly herald in the next 100 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived