XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

On 1/25/2018 at 3:47 PM, nickp91 said:

Love the new XFL logo with the red, white & blue standing proud and promising to be family friendly

“Family friendly”?  Because the NFL isn’t?

Do you think replacing black with blue is supposed to be telling us something?

• Like 2

On 1/25/2018 at 1:36 PM, FightingGoldenDevil said:

It needs a new name. XFL feels so dated. The days of Xtreme!!!!! are over. As a kid born in 2000 I just don't like the name. Glad to see the logo is more tame though

The XFL has become a curiosity and a novelty.  Without any other information, a huge audience was going to tune in.  Sticking with the name is free marketing.

So, I've never seen discussion of a new league like this.  Does theorizing about what the league will be like in terms of locations and identities belong in here, in concepts, or in sports in general?

What do you guys think is coming in terms of logos and identities?

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

So, I've never seen discussion of a new league like this.  Does theorizing about what the league will be like in terms of locations and identities belong in here, in concepts, or in sports in general?

Discussion of XFL branding, both league logos and team names and marks, belongs in this thread. That said, theorizing about team locations and identities is fine, so long as logo and design-based discussion doesn't get sidetracked by in-depth analysis of where teams may/should be sited based upon business analytics, etc. After all. this is the Sports Logos thread.     

Discussion of XFL business decisions - personnel hirings, player signings, rules of play, broadcast deals, the reasoning behind the selection of markets, etc. - should be discussed here.

As for proposed concepts, they should be posted in the Concepts forum.

Thank you.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

What do you guys think is coming in terms of logos and identities?

my perception is this will be a legitimate, professional league without the cheeseyness of last time. this feels like they’re building football from the ground up and will evaluate every aspect in order to make a great game/league. they also will take risks and do things the NFL either wont or cant- im imagining the games broadcasted on their website/apps or maybe a partner like Netflix. 

translating all that into visuals, i can imagine 2 different strategies. 1) traditional and professional - with the NFL/Nike pushing variations and abominations of team identities, a very simple approach to teams would appeal to the audience they’re speaking to and represent a purity if football

2) design of the future. represent the league in a way that feels forward thinking and innovative. league uniforms that would be inspired by Oregon, or totally re-think what a football uniform needs. maybe there a cold/warm weather gear set or the inspiration comes from somewhere else, like track or speed skating.  

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

17 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I fear the main focus of this league is going to be an anti-NFL, "where players respect the flag and our heroes" brand.

That appears to be the case. So their entire marketing angle is based on (IMO) a short-lived, non-controversy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

my perception is this will be a legitimate, professional league without the cheeseyness of last time. this feels like they’re building football from the ground up and will evaluate every aspect in order to make a great game/league. they also will take risks and do things the NFL either wont or cant- im imagining the games broadcasted on their website/apps or maybe a partner like Netflix. 

translating all that into visuals, i can imagine 2 different strategies. 1) traditional and professional - with the NFL/Nike pushing variations and abominations of team identities, a very simple approach to teams would appeal to the audience they’re speaking to and represent a purity if football

2) design of the future. represent the league in a way that feels forward thinking and innovative. league uniforms that would be inspired by Oregon, or totally re-think what a football uniform needs. maybe there a cold/warm weather gear set or the inspiration comes from somewhere else, like track or speed skating.  

#2 seems contradictory to #1, where you stated there would be a very simple approach to teams. Unless you meant one or the other?

6 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

I agree with this assessment.  While I expect the color schemes to be a little on the outlandish side, the overall branding is going to seem way toned down from XFL 2K1 - more traditional.  Fewer Memphis Maniax and Los Angeles Xtreme, and more Boston Breakers and Oakland Invaders.  A less is more approach.

• Like 1

nav-logo.png

19 hours ago, Quillz said:

#2 seems contradictory to #1, where you stated there would be a very simple approach to teams. Unless you meant one or the other?

yea, the latter. you couldnt do both from an identity/uniform decoration standpoint, but maybe they get to the point where the uniform template, structure, and equipment is something new but decorated in traditional style

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 10 months later...
11 hours ago, daniel75 said:

Should have came up with a new league name, Xtreme is so late 90’s early 2000ish.

Xtreme is not any part of the name. 

Pretty sure never  has been. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Xtreme is not any part of the name. 

Pretty sure never  has been. 

You are correct.

When the original XFL was founded there was already an Xtreme Football League so they made it very clear at that time that the X stood for nothing. 

Interesting side note is that the other XFL merged with the AFL 2 before ever playing a game. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

20 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

So what does XFL stand for?

The X stands for X, the F stands for F, and the L stands for L.

XFL = XFL.

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When the league was first organized in 1999, it was originally supposed to stand for ‘Xtreme Football League’, however, there was already a league in formation at the same time with that name, and so promoters wanted to make sure that everyone knew that the ‘X’ did not actually stand for anything.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFL

• Like 1