Cincinnati Reds: Time For A Change?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It feels like a button down version of the Big Red Machine unis should be no-brainer for the Reds (so, basically, their 1968-1971 uniforms).
nl_1968_cincinnati.gif

Why a team with so much history, and a look that still has plenty of cache because of the ubiquity of those mid-70s teams, keeps chasing silly fads year after year; I'll never understand.

It’s just crazy that every team that adopted black at around the same time has since reverted back to their original colors except the Reds. With the manufacture changing, it would be a good time to drop black. 

XM4KeeA.png

Modern reds should definitely be in 68-71 set. With the addition of red-white-red piping on home and road pants like they use on their current road grey pants. Also, possibly a white outline on the “Cincinnati” road wordmark and name and number to match the piping on the pants.

reds-2-1495407461.jpg

603551668.jpg?w=610&h=343&crop=1

los-angeles-ca-usa-9th-june-2017-cincinn

I fail to see what's wrong with this look.  Only things I'd change are the dropping of the black, lose all drop shadows, and maybe go with a blocker, more traditional font.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

35 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I fail to see what's wrong with this look.  Only things I'd change are the dropping of the black, lose all drop shadows, and maybe go with a blocker, more traditional font.

That'll get you most of the way there (maybe thatsthejoke.jpg?). The headspoon piping can probably go, too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

51 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That'll get you most of the way there (maybe thatsthejoke.jpg?). The headspoon piping can probably go, too.

The headspoon I'm fairly tolerant of when the team is already toting a simple look.

As long as this look never comes back:

reds_zoom.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with their look. It's related to their past and has modern touches. The black accents make the set more visually interesting.

The typeface is convoluted, related to absolutely nothing with the Reds or Cincinnati except generic ye-olde-tymeyness, and the black gets in the way as much as it would with the Detroit Red Wings. Folks! It's bad!

No black, a buttoned version of the 1990 uniforms with Mr Redlegs on the sleeve, piping thickness the same as the Blue Jays. That's the Perfect Cincinnati Reds uniform. It's not hard. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Olde English "C" and the script "Reds" can't be gone soon enough, and unfortunately, the "C" is still being painted behind the pitcher's mound.  Those Spring Training caps were horrendous.  Are they still using them in BP?

Wishbone "C" on caps and home jerseys, block "CINCINNATI" on road jerseys, one or the other on jackets and outerwear, and no (or minimal) black.  Please don't make this a clown show in the name of selling merchandise.

On 6/22/2018 at 10:49 AM, -Akronite- said:

I disagree only because I think your examples are bad, since I generally agree that the addition of a white stroke helps colors pop and creates a more balanced look.

In this instance you have an Orioles jersey with a black outline and a white outline. To me, that looks cheap and overdone compared to say, this:

x2orfffffzweoezgp5fsm1y8u.png

And again, I usually like the use of a white stroke, but something about that orange being directly on the black looks gorgeous in that instance. What a beautiful set.

Image result for orioles 1990s

Related imagebal-13-blackwhite-1-675x3801.jpg

A white outline here just seems unnecessary to me in this case. The orange on black is a much smoother look, and the orange pops off the black just fine. It works for the Orioles.

I can go either way. One argument might be that because the black scripts on orange have a white outline, the orange scripts on black should as well. Plus, the Orioles, with their white-paneled hats and their old striped socks, seem to be about a black/orange/white balance more than the Giants are. But I get how good the simple orange on black looks. I'd probably skirt the issue by wearing orange alternates more than black ones.

24 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I can go either way. One argument might be that because the black scripts on orange have a white outline, the orange scripts on black should as well. Plus, the Orioles, with their white-paneled hats and their old striped socks, seem to be about a black/orange/white balance more than the Giants are. But I get how good the simple orange on black looks. I'd probably skirt the issue by wearing orange alternates more than black ones.

Here's the thing though.

The script the Orioles use for the black jersey is the same one as the home/away. Orange script with a black border. You just don't see the black border because it's on a black jersey, but if you have an authentic jersey in your hand you can see it. 

The orange jersey is the only weird one. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

10 hours ago, CS85 said:

reds-2-1495407461.jpg

603551668.jpg?w=610&h=343&crop=1

los-angeles-ca-usa-9th-june-2017-cincinn

So, basically, the old uniforms, then? ?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

At this point I’d settle for them losing the black-billed road cap and going with the home cap full time. They wear all red batting helmets on the road anyways. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived