Cincinnati Reds: Time For A Change?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way I’d take those is as an alternate and that’s if they wear red hats with them. I don’t like vests so they’re out in that regard and the other NL red and white team also uses pinstripes so they should punt on that as well. The pinstriped white hats look silly. 

The current road uniform has good structure with the red white red striping. I’d thicken the widths of the stripes about 15%, lose black, go back to the old block font, make a white version with a red alternate, and boom, perfect Reds uniform set.

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Why? Not trying to be arguementative, but just saying no is not very useful.

The Reds, in my opinion, don’t need to be wearing pinstripes. With the Phillies, Cubs, Mets all wearing pinstripes in the NL, why go back to them if your the Reds. Its not a particularly good look. Plus, sleeveless? No thanks. The Reds are fine now, but if they were to make a change I would hope it would be to something different.

14 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I think the Reds look fine now and should stick with what they have.

But, that being said I did reallyyyy like the Griffey era uniforms.  Maybe it's nostalgia or maybe Griffey makes any uniform look cool.  Whatever the case is, I liked them a lot. In the vest era these worked.

Related imageRelated imageImage result for ken griffey reds

I like this set and the current set. Both look great. The black compliments the red well.

^ the only one that didn't work for me was the red hats, black sleeves. For some reason after 99 when the black hats/black sleeves look was their go-to home and away they pretty much stopped wearing that combination. After that it was always black sleeves red hats and that felt unbalanced. 

This was sharp

070299cameron_515x500.jpg082199neagle_500x366.jpg

the uniform needed the sleeves and hats to match to work. To my knowledge they never wore red hats and sleeves with the road grays, but they sold replica road jerseys with red sleeves for the longest time. 

Recently their nstagram posted a picture of a series from 2000 that I was certain actually happened, but always had a hard time finding any visual proof that it took place. They wore their regular pinstriped vests with the current all-red hats (made the home hats in 07), and then never did it again. Normally they'd be worn with the black billed caps. I loved the look back then and thought it was the weirdest thing that they never used those hats with that uniform ever again. 

1vCOyka.png

I wouldn't hate that as an alternate look for the current Reds. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

But, that being said I did reallyyyy like the Griffey era uniforms.  Maybe it's nostalgia or maybe Griffey makes any uniform look cool.  Whatever the case is, I liked them a lot. In the vest era these worked.

Perhaps it’s my late 90s nostalgia, but I was pretty happy then and still would be now if they went back to these as long as the home uniforms use the red sleeves and red cap. I understand that a team nicknamed REDS should not wear so much black, but I really liked this look at the time. Even though I’m a Cardinals fan, the first fitted hat I ever bought was a red crown black billed Reds hat. 

I already realize that this is an unpopular opinion. I won’t argue with you. 

1 hour ago, Cardsblues02 said:

The Reds, in my opinion, don’t need to be wearing pinstripes. With the Phillies, Cubs, Mets all wearing pinstripes in the NL, why go back to them if your the Reds. Its not a particularly good look. Plus, sleeveless? No thanks. The Reds are fine now, but if they were to make a change I would hope it would be to something different.

I guess my only rebuttal, and this is a minor one, red pinstripes really only mimic the Phillies. In the NL Central it would separate them from the Cards and wouldn’t look enough like the Cubs, but to each their own. 

There's plenty of black in the Reds uniforms prior to the 90s BFBS era and their '99-'06 set. In my opinion, the common denominator is not the use of black per se, but the use of dropshadow as an element.  Imagine a new alt based on the '99-'06 set that returns to an earlier version of the logo incorporating black:

2918.gif

13 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Why? Not trying to be arguementative, but just saying no is not very useful.

An argument isn't just contradiction.

Well! it CAN be!

No it can't!

An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

No it isn't!

Yes it is! 'tisn't just contradiction.

3 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

For me this is the worst thing they could do. BFBS. Not needed and only clutters a great look in my eyes. 

2 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

For me this is the worst thing they could do. BFBS. Not needed and only clutters a great look in my eyes. 

De gustibus non disputandum est.

However, I still argue that while the motivation at the time was likely to ride some of the BFBS wave, the actual uniform itself was an homage to the early '60s look:

5834066023_8c494274ce.jpg56-26Fr.jpg

23 hours ago, Beeperino said:

Exactly.  It was a reintroduction, to be sure. But it was not BFBS in the same way as, say, the Mets.

Fair enough but I doubt they would have gone to it had black not been such a trendy color. Bottom line in my mind is the black does nothing to enhance and actually makes the look worse. Shouldn't be used. Unnecessary. 

On 6/25/2018 at 8:55 PM, EddieJ1984 said:

They need a change, what they are wearing now is stale, and isn't a timeless classic.

Agreed.  The oldest team (?, or at least very close) should not be wearing some weird customized font just because.  They should try to be Yankees-like with a traditional, uniform that's not meant to be outdated in a decade.

On 6/25/2018 at 11:18 AM, the admiral said:

The typeface is convoluted, related to absolutely nothing with the Reds or Cincinnati except generic ye-olde-tymeyness, and the black gets in the way as much as it would with the Detroit Red Wings. Folks! It's bad!

Agreed.  The font seems to be used to simply be unique but without much other purpose.  That's something the Diamondbacks, not the Reds, should be doing.

On 6/25/2018 at 11:37 AM, McCarthy said:

No black, a buttoned version of the 1990 uniforms with Mr Redlegs on the sleeve, piping thickness the same as the Blue Jays. That's the Perfect Cincinnati Reds uniform. It's not hard. 

I'm not a fan of Mr. Redlegs but otherwise this is the direction I'd like them to go.  The early 1990s uniforms should have just gone this way once pullovers were on the way out.  Red and white works just fine and black is not needed. (At Wisconsin, I think football and hockey have looked better than basketball for that reason; well that and the will to stick with a traditional look rather than just copy trends).  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived