EddieJ1984

Logos that really need to be updated.

Recommended Posts

What are some logo's you think look really outdated and could use either a whole new logo or update?

 

300?cb=20131004151520

I have thought for a whole now that Burger King's logo just screams late 90s/00s with the blue swoosh, and considering they have reverted the blue roof's bks to a tan roof and don't use blue that much I think they should go back to something like the logo they had before it or an update to it (sorta like what subway did with their logo)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the Whopper ads BK ran with the abstract burger in place of the E in the WHOPPER word mark:

 

burger_king02.png

I think that and a combination of their early 90s bun logo would look great.

 

I think Sherwin-Williams could use a refresher:

Sherwin_Williams-e1453266243934.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

 

I think Sherwin-Williams could use a refresher:

Sherwin_Williams-e1453266243934.jpg

 

I actually like their "Cover the Earth" logo. The "SHERWIN WILLIAMS" font is the only thing that really needs to be updated, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the problem though is that many of these logos, despite their flaws, have obtained good brand identity. Which is probably worth keeping more so than updating or making modifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the Burger King logo is that it is too updated, with pointless tilting and the addition of faux-3D in the shine on the buns (Why shine on buns, anyway? Buns aren't shiny.) and a motion line (Why? Your burger isn't spinning when you eat it.)

 

They need to return to the classic logo, which was straightforward in its 2-dimensionality.

 

Burger_King_logo_(1994).svg

 

This logo was universally recognised; and it looked great in all applications: print, on employees' uniforms, and on signs. 

 

This is an example of the problem with thinking that updating is a necessity. This update was a downgrade, even if not as big a downgrade as the Baskin Robbins disaster, in which a beautiful and timeless logo was exchanged for an unsightly mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

I think Sherwin-Williams could use a refresher:

Sherwin_Williams-e1453266243934.jpg

 

Refresh? Yes. Rebrand? No. The "Cover the Earth" and basic idea (paint pouring over the globe) is strong. It could be "cleaned up" (simplify the paint drips and globe) more than anything.

 

I think it's interesting that S-W was founded/is based in the U.S. (though it does operate globally), but the globe shows Africa and Europe. Why is the globe tilted like that? It seems like they'd want the Americas as the identifiable geographic features, not Africa and Europe. I guess it could be interpreted as "we've already 'covered' the Americas, the rest of the globe is next" but who would really think of that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

They need to return to the classic logo, which was straightforward in its 2-dimensionality.

 

Burger_King_logo_(1994).svg

 

This logo was universally recognised; and it looked great in all applications: print, on employees' uniforms, and on signs. 

The funny thing is that Australian Burger King never went away from the old school logo...when I visited there, I was reminded of just how much better this logo is than the one BK is using now.
42c0281dd383c68c21c928a5f3fbd2cb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

IBM.  As iconic as it is?  It's time for an update.

 

That's an odd one. I agree with it, but at the same time, it's a logo that's hard to update and keep the spirit of the original. Plus, it kinda works. Maybe not in small print, but when it's blown up or on a TV ad, it's recognizable enough to know what it is even if you don't get the time to read the "IBM" it spells out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

 

Refresh? Yes. Rebrand? No. The "Cover the Earth" and basic idea (paint pouring over the globe) is strong. It could be "cleaned up" (simplify the paint drips and globe) more than anything.

 

I think it's interesting that S-W was founded/is based in the U.S. (though it does operate globally), but the globe shows Africa and Europe. Why is the globe tilted like that? It seems like they'd want the Americas as the identifiable geographic features, not Africa and Europe. I guess it could be interpreted as "we've already 'covered' the Americas, the rest of the globe is next" but who would really think of that?

At the risk of being labelled a "tree hugger", I wil say taht "Cover th earth" needs to go, with its logo.

What I see here is a giant toxic spill,

And graphically, it is way too complicated/busy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Frenchie said:

At the risk of being labelled a "tree hugger", I wil say taht "Cover th earth" needs to go, with its logo.

What I see here is a giant toxic spill,

And graphically, it is way too complicated/busy.

 

 

Damn hippies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sherwin Williams' "Cover the Earth (with the blood of our enemies)" logo is a classic; outside of changing the font I hope they never change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 4:36 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Related image

 

Growing up in the Carolinas in the 1990s, Food Lion was a ubiquitous grocery choice - we usually went there or to Winn-Dixie, with Bi-Lo a distant third.

 

It took me entirely too long to see that white triangle above the tongue isn't an eye. I wondered quite often as a kid just what the heck was going on with that lion's mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a cool lion logo, but I can see how some people could confuse it with a wingless griffin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

 

Growing up in the Carolinas in the 1990s, Food Lion was a ubiquitous grocery choice - we usually went there or to Winn-Dixie, with Bi-Lo a distant third.

 

It took me entirely too long to see that white triangle above the tongue isn't an eye. I wondered quite often as a kid just what the heck was going on with that lion's mouth.

SBkALFa.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2018 at 9:09 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The problem with the Burger King logo is that it is too updated, with pointless tilting and the addition of faux-3D in the shine on the buns (Why shine on buns, anyway? Buns aren't shiny.) and a motion line (Why? Your burger isn't spinning when you eat it.)

 

They need to return to the classic logo, which was straightforward in its 2-dimensionality.

 

Burger_King_logo_(1994).svg

 

This logo was universally recognised; and it looked great in all applications: print, on employees' uniforms, and on signs. 

 

This is an example of the problem with thinking that updating is a necessity. This update was a downgrade, even if not as big a downgrade as the Baskin Robbins disaster, in which a beautiful and timeless logo was exchanged for an unsightly mess.

 

The motion indicated speed of service, it's fast food after all. And when they changed the logo, fast food burgers were a more powerful brand then. It seemed like McDonald's ruled the world. I was a kid, but I remember thinking the upgrade was great. The old logo seemed dated, like something from the 70s or 80s. But the new logo was sleek and fit the era.

 

Now, I agree they need another upgrade and it'd do them well to go back to a simple logo AND I agree that the Whopper branding has been good. They should find a way to layer in more color, because as of now it seems like a lifeless burger on a bun. Old, stale, unhealthy. They need to catch up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now