A Black & White History of the Chicago White Sox (Updates 2/17)

coco1997

1919, '25, '26: These translated well into the modern color scheme. I too wish they stuck with the crossed socks.

1932-34: I like that you kept the yellow bats, and I find that the grey horseshoes look good. The 1932 cap is fantastic (I'd like a '47 brand edition). That 1934 road uniform is top-notch in the modern colors, and could easily work with the modern set.

1936-42: The '36 home jersey looks good in monochrome. I like the grey-heavy "SOX" jersey, but I'm not keen on the grey-heavy "White Sox" script. That's less a problem with your design and more a problem with the original red-heavy look. 

1949-59: The minimalist "Sox" turned out well in monochrome and the grey worked well with the 1959 designs.

1969: I also love the 1969 uniforms! It's good to see them in black/grey/white. Similarly, the 1972 set translated well into the new color scheme.

1976: The "circus" set looks pretty spiffy in black/grey/white. I like it more than the navy originals.

It's really cool to see the White Sox's uniform history in their now-classic color scheme, and I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the 1983-90 uniforms.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Let's enter the '80s with a Sox fan favorite...

1983 HOME:

1983_White_Sox_Home.png

1983 ROAD:

1983_White_Sox_Road.png

This look was actually introduced in '82, but everyone associates these unis with the team that won the AL West in 1983. The "beach blanket" uniforms called for a simple color swap of black and silver for navy and red, respectively. I decided to make the stirrups black as opposed to silver, which didn't mesh well with the road gray. 

1983 BP:

1983_White_Sox_BP.png

The Sox actually donned two different BP styles during this era, one red and the other navy. A silver BP top didn't look good, so I went with a black one. 

And now for a couple bonus concepts...

1983 HOME (w/ black pants):

1983_White_Sox_Home_w_black_pants.png

I had the idea of trying out the '83 home set with black pants, as a sort of logical evolution of the '76 unis. Let me know what you guys think. 

1983 RED ALT:

1983_White_Sox_Alternate.png

Ok, so this one is not at all in line with the premise of the series, but I figured it didn't deserve its own topic. While working on this series, I asked myself the question, "What would a '83 Sox alternate look like," and this is what I came up with. 

C&C appreciated. I'll wrap up the series in the next post! 

I love the 80’s set with the modern colors, it makes it look like it could be a present-day uniform.

Like all the other sets of this series, it makes me really wish the Sox had found their color scheme earlier on. Nice job!

The '83-'86 set translated well to black/grey/white. My only complaint would be that the numbers don't have outlines, but that's a problem I have with the original. I also like the bonus concepts, but I feel like the red alt might look better with a white stripe and blue outlines, to tie it into the cap. Good work.

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

The '83-'86 set translated well to black/grey/white. My only complaint would be that the numbers don't have outlines, but that's a problem I have with the original. I also like the bonus concepts, but I feel like the red alt might look better with a white stripe and blue outlines, to tie it into the cap. Good work.

So would that imply a navy "SOX" against a white background?

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Before I move onto the '87-90 Sox, I wanted to do a few tweaks of previously posted teams based on some of your input. 

On 2/8/2018 at 8:54 PM, SFGiants58 said:

1936-42: The '36 home jersey looks good in monochrome. I like the grey-heavy "SOX" jersey, but I'm not keen on the grey-heavy "White Sox" script. That's less a problem with your design and more a problem with the original red-heavy look. 

I took the '42 home set and inverted the colors on the script. Better?

46coJ6I.png

On 2/10/2018 at 2:01 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Here are the '83 sets with outlined numbers, as well as an updated version of the red alt per your suggestions:

NCxajGO.png

Srhxa3N.png

JbWtaEv.png

On 2/5/2018 at 5:06 PM, MJD7 said:

These designs are really making me wish that the Sox were black & white from the beginning. Both 1969 sets are stellar, only thing I would do would be to make the back numbers on the ‘69 road white, since that’s such a unique element. Looking good though!

Here's the '69 home set with white back numbers:

Q81VK2K.png

13 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I have a feeling the Sox will somehow start wearing the greyscale '83 uniforms in some capacity within the next 3-5 years.

Yeah, a redesign of sorts would be nice to coincide with the team becoming a contender within the next 2-3 years. 

I really like the white numbers on the back of the 1969 set. The extra thick outline really makes it pop against the silver uniform. 

Minor note on the revised 83 designs. On the new red alt, I'd go with white numbers outlined in navy since in the other concepts the wide bar across the jersey is the color of the numbers while the two outer stripes translate to the outlines. 

1 minute ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I really like the white numbers on the back of the 1969 set. The extra thick outline really makes it pop against the silver uniform. 

Minor note on the revised 83 designs. On the new red alt, I'd go with white numbers outlined in navy since in the other concepts the wide bar across the jersey is the color of the numbers while the two outer stripes translate to the outlines. 

Thanks, and good eye! I'll try that out. 

All right, let's wrap up this series!

1987 HOME:

1987_White_Sox_Home.png

1987 ROAD:

1987_White_Sox_Road.png

1987 BP:

1987_White_Sox_BP.png

We finish up the series today with the very underrated '87-90 set, the last look the Sox used before adopting their current identity. Like the '83 set, this was a simple color swap of black and silver for navy and red. I really like the wordmarks on this set, especially the "C" in "Chicago," as it reminds me a lot of the '69-75 script. The home jersey is also one of the very few in team history to use the team's full name across the front. These uniforms get overlooked because they were worn during a pretty forgettable stretch in White Sox history, though they were the first worn by Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura

Thanks to everyone who followed along with this series and left feedback. I'll have a few bonus designs up in the near future, so keep your eyes peeled!

Archived