NoE38

North American Markball League; A Fictional Sport & A Fictional History: 1959 Offseason

Hmm I think color wise, Blue shouldn't be on the table unless it's a brighter blue given half the league already uses blue in some sort of shade.

What are the prospective owners famous for? Is there any History of Markball teams in the cities?

3 hours ago, Darknes said:

What are the prospective owners famous for? Is there any History of Markball teams in the cities?

The no blue is a good idea, I'll keep that in mind. 

In the storyline,The head of LA's bid is longtime Hollywood executive Roger Lowry, known for his charisma, while Minnesota's bid was headed by Terrance Edwardsson, who owns a successful logging business, as well as the Twin Cities' baseball team.

LA's current markball team is the Bears, but Lowry has stated that he would like a new identity for the new team. In Minnesota, their current team is the Bobcats, and Edwardsson is open to retaining the name or going in a new direction.

One thought for LA is to go straight to the Cinema and name themselves after something film-related. My Suggestion would be Marshals or Sheriffs as the Western Movie was in it's Heyday

Minnesota I could see going towards something like Stags, Foresters, Voyageurs, something to capture the natural wonder of Minnesota.

Yeah, Los Angeles is pretty tricky since they got a lot of their teams through relocation in real life and they each brought their nicknames over from their old cities.

Hollywood Moguls

Hollywood Legends

Minnesota on the other hand should be easier, if you draw from the names rejected by the real life Minnesota teams.

I think he should avoid that name simply because Hawkfan's PHL uses that nickname for Minnesota.

Even though Lumberjacks is an awesome name, Hawkfan has already taken it, and I wanna respect that. I was thinking of similar names to that, like the already mentioned Foresters. I like the other suggestions for Minnesota as well, and I'd like to add the name Axemen to that list. I feel it still gets the point across.

As for LA, I was thinking something like Stars, since that's what Hollywood is famous for. Maybe they start off as the Hollywood Stars, and eventually transition to the LA Stars later in the timeline? Legends is another good suggestion, I could see that being used.

I haven't made any final decisions yet on the names, but I've chosen Forest Green as Minnesota's main colour, and Gold for LA.

Still looking for name suggestions for the two teams, If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

LOS ANGELES

Arcadians

Breakers

Coasters (Proximity to the Pacific Coast and Roller Coasters at Santa Monica Pier?)

Hollywood Stars

Hollywood Legends

Hollywood Moguls

Visionaries

Barracudas

Stingrays

Jaguars

Aztecs

Guardians (As in guardian angel?)

Seraphs

Spirits

Cherubs

Olympians

Daredevils

MINNESOTA

Asgardians

Axemen

Blue Oxen

Loggers

Loons

Lumberjacks

Millers

Miners

Muskies

Norsemen

Northern Lights

Pike

Polars

Saints

Trappers

Voyageurs

Los Angeles: Moguls

Minnesota: Loggers

Hope LA gets some rivals in the future, pretty weird seeing them play all by themselves for now.

27 minutes ago, RightGuard said:

Los Angeles: Moguls

Minnesota: Loggers

Hope LA gets some rivals in the future, pretty weird seeing them play all by themselves for now.

I'm sure it was awkward for the Angels in the early days till the A's moved to Oakland.

I'm glad to see Minnesota got a team. You had mentioned forest green as the main color which I can't really disagree with, I would suggest matching it with powder blue though. Forest green and powder blue not only look amazing together, they also fit the state perfectly with the green for the states wilderness and blue for our vast bodies of water. Anyways, here are my thoughts on the names you mentioned that I would be happy seeing and reasons why I like the name.

Blue Oxen: I would shorten to Blue Ox, this is my favorite name possibility but I would be another blue team. I would do navy and powder blue. It would fit the team and state due to Minnesota's history with Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox.

Loggers: I like the name and think it would fit well with the history of the owner. It would fit the states history of lumber and forestry.

Loons: The state bird beloved by the state. I think Loons would be a unique name that fits the state perfectly and it could create a unique identity (similar to Minnesota United).

Millers: I would only use this name IF the team is going to be called Minneapolis instead of Minnesota. I would use the old Minneapolis Millers baseball team colors of orange and black. It would be cool to see a Millers team in a professional league, but I would say no to using it if the team is going to be called Minnesota (which I'd suggest).

Muskies: The states most prized trophy fish, big, mean, and hard to catch. I think the Minnesota Muskies has a good ring to it and the fish fits the state well, plus it could be a really cool logo.

Norsemen: I would shorten to Norse, but it would be a good name playing off of the states Scandinavian history.

Voyageurs: Unique name that fits the states history of fur trading, french exploration, and canoeing. 

Here is one other name I would suggest

Walleye: The state fish which is both beloved and very much a symbol of the state, much like the loon.

As for LA, I really like the Guardians

Minnesota should be green and yellow, la should be black and gold! 

Minnesots loggers, axemen, walleye

Los Angeles Stars, Guardians, Sharks 

LA should use the Guardians or Moguls as their nickname. Preferably use Los Angeles in the team name and not Hollywood.

Minnesota should be the Muskies or the Walleyes.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I promise that I will have the team names chosen either tomorrow or Wednesday. For now, I've narrowed each of the city's suggestions to a shortlist:

Minnesota: Loggers, Voyageurs, Oxen*, Muskies, Walleye

* - I really like the idea of the Blue Oxen, but since I would prefer to not have any more blue teams for now, I've shortened it to Oxen.

LA: Moguls, Guardians, Stars, Legends

The good news is that I've decided on the colour schemes for each. I'll make a compromise for Minnesota, by using both the suggested powder blue and yellow, creating a unique but awesome scheme IMO.

Lzh5W9B.png

For LA, I'll use @BellaSpurs's suggestion of Gold and Black.

lqnufgN.png

I'll announce the final names in the offseason post, which will be up either tomorrow or Wednesday, as I mentioned earlier.  This will be busier one than usual, with one team tweaking both their jerseys.

Good choices, can't go wrong with any of them. Minnesota is going to have quite the unique color scheme but I have a good feeling it will look amazing!

1959 NAML Offseason

Minnesota, Los Angeles Announce Team Names

After much speculation on what the new Minnesota and Los Angeles teams' names would be, people finally got their answer in November, when Minnesota formally announced their name.

"After several surveys and consultation with supporters, we are proud to announce our name. Minnesota, please welcome the Walleye!" Owner Terrance Edwardsson announced to a packed crowd at the team's headquarters. Fans were very receptive to the name, and several told reporters they couldn't wait to see the logos and jerseys.

Just 4 days later, the Los Angeles executives announced their name to the world. "We want to show the world that no matter what, we will protect our amazing city,  Nothing will get past us. We are the Los Angeles Guardians!" said Owner Roger Lowry. Fans were also happy with the name, including mayor Norris Poulson. "I love it. It fits the city extremely well and I'm excited to see it in action." He said.

The NAML also announced that Minnesota would begin play in the 1961 season, while Los Angeles would start in 1962, so that the LAMC could be renovated to fit a markball field.

Milwaukee unveils new home uniform, tweaks away set

In terms of jersey changes, the Milwaukee Dragons made changes to both their home and away jerseys. The home now has the cuff striping moved to the yoke, similar to the away. Pinstriping was added on either side of the yoke stripes. The away switched the red and yellow on both the yoke and sock striping.

tWW1cGD.png

There were also interesting rumours out of Michigan, with several reporters saying that Owner Sam Norling was looking at the possibility of a new logo. He eventually acknowledged this was true, saying that the team was "considering" a new logo, and that "It isn't guaranteed." Norling also stated that the logo wouldn't be too different than what it is now. the Bandits have only changed their logo once in their history, with the current MB logo dating back to 1885, a year after the team was founded.

Montreal, Michigan add valuable future assets

In terms of transactions, Montreal added a reliable midfielder to their core by signing Nicolas Bartosh to a 5-year contract. Bartosh was one of the 'Keepers who put in a strong performance against Montreal in the 1958 Urquhart Cup.

The other big signing was Michigan getting another young prospect, signing defenseman Stephen Henson for Ottawa of the EML. Henson was the EML's MVP in 1957 and 59, despite only being 21. Henson's ceiling is high, and Michigan hopes that he can develop into a player similar to Harry Keener, to is approaching the end of his career.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

There's the offseason post. I'm happy with the name selections for Minnesota and LA, I've got some ideas for both of them, hopefully they turn out well. If you have any ideas for logos, I'd like to hear them.

I'll simulate the 1960 season soon, and it will hopefully be up within the week.

Thanks for reading!