infrared41's Who Am I? Super Bowl LII Edition

infrared41

It's Super Bowl Week. Let's play the Super Bowl LII edition of "Who Am I?"

For the new folks, here's how it works: 

Every player has appeared in at least one Super Bowl.

The easier the player, the tougher the clues and vice versa.

The emphasis is on players who played in the 60's thru the 90's but a player could be from any Super Bowl. 

Pay close attention to the way the clues are worded and the words used in a clue. 

Round I

I. I finished my playing career with one of the teams that has never played in the Super Bowl. My most recent coaching job was with one of the others. 

II. The team I was drafted by had yet to play in the Super Bowl when it drafted me. It's made three since. 

III. I set two all-time records in college - but they weren't NCAA records.

IV. I never got a Super Bowl ring as a player, but I did pick up two as a coach. 

V. I am a member of the College Football Hall of Fame.

Who am I? 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wilbert Montgomery?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

26 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Wilbert Montgomery?

OnWis97 opens the scoring this year with Eagles great, Wilbert Montgomery.

I. Montgomery's last season as a player was in 1985 with the Detroit Lions. His most recent coaching job was with the Browns. 

II. He was drafted by the Eagles in the 1977 draft. The Eagles, with Montgomery at RB, made their first Super Bowl in 1980. Their second trip was in 2004. Number three is this year's Super Bowl.

III. Montgomery set both the Freshman (37) and career (76) touchdown records for Abilene Christian University. Abilene is an NAIA school. 

IV. He picked up Super Bowl rings as a coach with the 1999 Rams and 2011Ravens.

V. Wilbert Montgomery was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1996.

WCWtxLi.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

That's the first football game I remember (very vaguely).  I was pulling for the Eagles.  Why?  Why else? Uniforms.  I loved green and loved the Eagles helmet.  But the Raiders won and I ended up asking for a Raiders helmet (for that reason) the next Christmas and somehow my parents got me one.  Too bad the Eagles lost.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

OnWis97 opens the scoring this year with Eagles great, Wilbert Montgomery.

I. Montgomery's last season as a player was in 1985 with the Detroit Lions. His most recent coaching job was with the Browns. 

II. He was drafted by the Eagles in the 1977 draft. The Eagles, with Montgomery at RB, made their first Super Bowl in 1980. Their second trip was in 2004. Number three is this year's Super Bowl.

III. Montgomery set both the Freshman (37) and career (76) touchdown records for Abilene Christian University. Abilene is an NAIA school. 

IV. He picked up Super Bowl rings as a coach with the 1999 Rams and 2011Ravens.

V. Wilbert Montgomery was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1996.

WCWtxLi.jpg

Damn. Fun fact: he may be in the College Football Hall of Fame, but he's not in the NAIA Hall of Fame. My hunch was that clue III was about the NAIA, so I tried checking on every player that was in both halls of fame. Surely, if he's in the hall of fame for all of college football, he's in the hall of fame for the dinky little NAIA, right? Apparently not.

Round II

I. The teams I played for have a combined total of 14 Super Bowl appearances - for a few years it seemed like they were always playing each other to get there.

II. My only Super Bowl appearance was unquestionably the worst Super Bowl appearance by my team. Perhaps the worst of any team. 

II. With my name, "One play at a time" would have been the perfect Chris Berman "slogan" for me. 

IV. When I left my first NFL team, I held the team record in every statistical category for my position.

V. I'll volunteer one more clue - I was the first player to achieve this single game statistical milestone for my team. 

Who Am I? 

EDIT: Turns out I used this player with different clues last year. Sorry about that. To avoid repeats, I always search the board for the previous "Who Am I?" threads to use as a reference, but this year nothing turned up. 

BB52Big.jpg

Irving Fryer?

Edit:  never mind... no way he fits the second part of #1

POTD (Shared)

6 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Stanley Morgan.

Nice job with the 14 appearances clue... trying to think of 49ers/Cowboys threw me off.

"Who Am I?" veteran, sc49erfan15 gets on the board with Stanley Morgan.

I. Patriots (10) and Colts (4).

II. Morgan played for the 1985 AFC Champion Patriots team that lost to Chicago 46-10 in Super Bowl XX. 

III. A little play on words with Stanley Morgan and Morgan Stanley the financial company. One of Morgan Stanley's commercial slogans is "one customer at a time."

IV. According to his Wikipedia page, by the end of his tenure with the team, Morgan was the Patriots leader in pretty much every significant career receiving stat.

V. He was the first Tennessee Volunteer to rush for over 200 yards in a game. 

H8Qu12H.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Round III

I. The teams I played for have a combined total of three Super Bowl appearances.

II. I hold the record for the shortest one of these in NFL history. 

III. I played in two one of the biggest blowouts in Super Bowl history. Once on the winning side and once on the losing side. 

IV. One of my Super Bowl teams was the only sports team to ever appear on this chart. 

V. We were also nominated for this prestigious award, but we lost to a Vikings fan. 

Who am I? 

BB52Big.jpg

49 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Shaun Gayle?

ninersdd gets on the board with Shaun Gayle.

I. Bears (2) and Chargers (1).

II. In the 1985 Divisional Playoff game against the Giants, Gayle returned a punt five yards for a TD. 

III. Super Bowl XX - Bears 46 Patriots 10 and he had nothing to do with Super Bowl XXIV. (Thanks for the heads up, Brian in Boston)

IV. Believe it or not, "The Super Bowl Shuffle" made it to #41 on the Billboard Hot 100 making the '85 Bears the only sports team to ever make the music charts.

V. Because making the Billboard Hot 100 wasn't ridiculous enough, "The Super Bowl Shuffle" was also nominated for a Grammy. It lost to "Kiss" by Prince...who was from Minnesota and I'm assuming was also a Vikings fan.

t6ep9m1.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Super Bow

3 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

ninersdd gets on the board with Shaun Gayle.

III. Super Bowl XX - Bears 46 Patriots 10 and Super Bowl XXIV 49ers 49 Chargers 26

Unfortunately, Shaun Gayle does not fit the parameters of all of the clues you gave.

Shaun Gayle didn't play in the San Diego Chargers' loss to the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XXIX. Gayle was still a member of the Chicago Bears during the 1994 NFL season, which culminated in Super Bowl XXIX, which was played on January 29,1995.

Gayle joined the San Diego Chargers in time for the 1995 NFL season, a year in which the team finished 9-7 and lost the AFC Wild Card Game to the Indianapolis Colts.

19 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Super Bow

Unfortunately, Shaun Gayle does not fit the parameters of all of the clues you gave.

Shaun Gayle didn't play in the San Diego Chargers' loss to the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XXIX. Gayle was still a member of the Chicago Bears during the 1994 NFL season, which culminated in Super Bowl XXIX, which was played on January 29,1995.

Gayle joined the San Diego Chargers in time for the 1995 NFL season, a year in which the team finished 9-7 and lost the AFC Wild Card Game to the Indianapolis Colts.

Oops. Oh well. That's not the first time I've botched a clue and it won't be the last. Fortunately, someone still managed to guess it was him. 

EDIT: Did you go to the trouble of double checking my work or was it something you just happened to know? 

BB52Big.jpg

50 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

II. In the 1985 Divisional Playoff game against the Giants, Gayle returned a punt five yards for a TD. 

I got extremely curious about this... how exactly does one return a punt 5 yards for a touchdown? Even with a terrible punt into the wind, you'd probably be fair catching it at the 5, right?

I sure do love YouTube...

Starts 5 seconds in. Just a big ol' swing'n'amiss by Sean Landeta! :lol: It wasn't blocked, so it's a legitimate 5 yard punt return TD. Fantastic!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived