Chief Wahoo Departs: Indians remove logo from brand in 2019

CS85

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/indians-removing-chief-wahoo-logo-from-uniforms/

CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Indians are removing the divisive Chief Wahoo logo from their jerseys and caps starting in the 2019 season.

Following numerous discussions with Major League Baseball and Commissioner Rob Manfred, the Indians will no longer wear the big-toothed, smiling, red-faced caricature during games. The iconic logo, which has been used in various expressions by the team since 1947, has been deemed racist and offensive by some.

Manfred said the team conveyed to him that some fans have a “long-standing attachment” to the logo, but the Indians agreed that it’s “no longer appropriate for on-field use.”

The Indians will wear the Wahoo logo this season and continue to sell merchandise featuring it.

Under growing pressure, the team has been transitioning away from Chief Wahoo in recent years. The Indians introduced a block “C” insignia on their caps and have removed stadium signs with the Wahoo logo.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting note, they say they need to maintain limited use of Wahoo in retail aspects to maintain ownership of the logo so that another party can't eventually claim the logo as their own and thus profit from it. 

I interpret that as they'll still use Wahoo on throwback related merchandise. Seems fair and might be good enough for the long time fans who wanted it to stay for historical purposes. 

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Now come up with a good replacement Cleveland, and we’re in good shape.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.  Pathetic as it is, they'll probably use the block C as their only mark.

Whatever, we'll always have Major League.

The Indians' set could use some reorganization anyway, maybe they'll use this time to settle on a color distribution and lose the red home/blue away nonsense that never suits anyone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Good riddance. Wahoo can burn in hell.

Seriously, though, I hope some sort of rebrand is coming. That block C, as is, is pretty dull.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

They'll make a killing selling Wahoo caps and other stuff this year.

We'll have to endure whining about how political correctness has destroyed America.  Then we'll move on.

32 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Interesting note, they say they need to maintain limited use of Wahoo in retail aspects to maintain ownership of the logo so that another party can't eventually claim the logo as their own and thus profit from it. 

I interpret that as they'll still use Wahoo on throwback related merchandise. Seems fair and might be good enough for the long time fans who wanted it to stay for historical purposes. 

Given the statement about fans having long-time attachments, I suppose it looks like it's not quite going away just yet for merchandise.  However, it could fade away through attrition depending on how well it sells in the early years.

But taking it off the field is a huge step in the "phasing out" process.  I kinda wish they'd just rip off the Band Aid and we could have one last time to lament political correctness over this ridiculous logo and then move on.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

18 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up.  Pathetic as it is, they'll probably use the block C as their only mark.

That what annoys me most. 

If they at least had an alternative to replace it, I'd be ok with it. 

But I 100% know they are going to stick with the bland, boring, unoriginal block letter design. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

3 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

That what annoys me most. 

If they at least had an alternative to replace it, I'd be ok with it. 

But I 100% know they are going to stick with the bland, boring, unoriginal block letter design. 

With the UnderArmour changeover in 2019, anythings possible I guess.  

I actually like the 1980s block C (https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/blyleven-bert).  I think the white outline is needed because of the way the blue and red play off of each other.  

Right now they kind of have two looks.  Hopefully they'll pick a lane.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived