Chief Wahoo Departs: Indians remove logo from brand in 2019

CS85

3 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I actually like the 1980s block C (https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/blyleven-bert).  I think the white outline is needed because of the way the blue and red play off of each other.  

Block C with a wispy-looking feather sleeve patch would look pretty good. 

The identity just needs a little more character than the most basic looking C possible.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Interesting note, they say they need to maintain limited use of Wahoo in retail aspects to maintain ownership of the logo so that another party can't eventually claim the logo as their own and thus profit from it. 

I interpret that as they'll still use Wahoo on throwback related merchandise. Seems fair and might be good enough for the long time fans who wanted it to stay for historical purposes. 

This is pretty common. The University of North Dakota have done the same thing with the Fighting Sioux logo and moniker as a means of avoiding a steady flow of non-licensed merchandise from overtaking its new brand. The university launched a specialty, throwback-focused apparel brand to make use of the logo, though its done a good job of keeping its use to a minimum. 

8 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I actually like the 1980s block C (https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/blyleven-bert).  I think the white outline is needed because of the way the blue and red play off of each other.  

Right now they kind of have two looks.  Hopefully they'll pick a lane.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

1 minute ago, PittsburghSucks said:

That's a decent hat.  It's not going to be on everyone's top-5 list or anything but it's nice.  Then again, I like the original Texas Ranger hat.  A lot.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

11 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Right now they kind of have two looks.  Hopefully they'll pick a lane.

I'd go with dark red lettering/numbers (cursive Indians, block Cleveland) outlined in midnight blue, with midnight blue trim and socks and red shoes. (That last part is kind of an inversion of Boston.) I agree that the block C needs an outline. Red undershirts so that they can still do the blue-over-red alternate, which I think looks kind of neat and should be their own.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, Quillz said:

So, are the Blackhawks next?

Next for what, removing the logo or people demanding they remove the logo? No and yes, respectively.

This is the correct cap for the Indians.

cleveland-indians-turn-back-the-clock-59fifty-fitted-baseball-cap-new-era-mlb_1.jpg

This logo manages to suggest Native-inspired imagery without appropriating the imagery itself and without being demeaning, as the letterform gives an allusion to the art of woodworking.

There is no logo better than this for the team.

Though there are hundreds that are better than the C that they currently use.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 minute ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There is no logo better than this for the team.

The logo they just had to get rid of for being racist is better than that stupid one.

The "C" logo has a good following with Tribe fans. I actually like both hats a lot and really think they should keep it around.

While I'm sure people will still complain, I'd like to see a cool new "respectful" logo. Something along the lines of the Blackhawks or Seminoles....

3 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

There is a pro football team in D.C. that may be next.

No, I think the Redskins have been declared a lost cause, and now the momentum will be applied to the Blackhawks instead. They're already a problematic team because of the way they love and endorse rape, so they make more sense to go after.

As a Clevelander, I'm glad the whole debate is over and the Indians are doing the right thing and removing the logo from the uniforms, for numerous reasons:

1.  Every good baseball franchise needs a monogram logo.  The Block C logo is fantastic for a baseball team.

2.  Whether people want to admit it or not, it was a caricature for a race of people that our government sponsored a genocide of.

3.  I just don't think it was a good logo.  It was proportioned poorly, it had awkward placing everywhere, etc.

4.  After seeing the Florida State and Chicago Blackhawks logos, I would support a better logo, if it were influenced by the various tribes.

My biggest issue is when people refuse to look at the subject/logo objectively.  They can't admit it has tons of stereotyping in it and they think "Manifest Destiny" isn't the same as genocide.

Archived