I think the frog is very well-designed, but I don't think it would fit in the NHL. Seems like too much of a minor-league aesthetic. It reminds me of the green bug that used to be on Columbus' uniforms. They phased him out to look more like a major league franchise.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hecticbro said:

I think the frog is very well-designed, but I don't think it would fit in the NHL. Seems like too much of a minor-league aesthetic. It reminds me of the green bug that used to be on Columbus' uniforms. They phased him out to look more like a major league franchise.

I hear you, hbro...and I remember that "bug"...but is the tree-frog any more "cartoony" than some other well-known and accepted logos?...

gqjpwZD.jpg

On 2018-03-17 at 3:11 PM, The Impaler said:

I hate criticizing any of your designs as they’re in general just fantastic. 

On 2018-03-17 at 6:57 PM, Steelman said:

so I hesitate to even say anything

Impaler (love that) and Steelman...Thanks but no problems in accepting critiques...I've posted a LOT of concepts here over the years and I can't think of one that didn't improve with the feedback from fellow members. I welcome the different viewpoints 'cause I think it results in a better final product...That "E/C" logo wasn't cutting it.

On 2018-03-17 at 9:36 PM, darkpiranha said:

Love everything about it except the EC.  The E is coming off more like an F, as stated earlier.   I think you're okay with leaving the top of the C as the middle bar of the E, but I'd try just having a full bottom bar on the E extend out from the middle of the C.  That way, both letters still share one common element.  And I know you've done it with most of your other hockey critters, but the frog is just screaming out to have some sort of skates on. Maybe let the Battle of Seattle have an extra competitor and split these two up into their own identities.    

Thanks dp...I tried to put some skates on him, but it just looked weird...I'll give it another crack. I've completely changed the "EC"...Got any ideas for a name that would have a frog mascot?

On 2018-03-17 at 11:34 PM, woody86 said:

I like the idea with the emeralds. Some off the wall thinking here: what if for the sweater you shrunk the gem, removed the monogram, and stuck that rock right in the middle of a roundel? You could even have mini silouhettes of a sitting frog to separate upper and lower text in the roundel. I know, super creative ;) ...but perhaps worth a shot exploring? Fwiw, it seems like I always like an old-timey-feeling roundel on a hockey sweater. Anyhoo, I love your work, it's great. Keep it coming! 

Thanks woody...I've got a roundel logo in the works for an alt..

On 2018-03-18 at 7:23 AM, Whittier S said:

Agree that it looks like FC; it almost looks like a monogram for bank rather than a sports team. That said, the frog is phenomenal. And at the risk of being That Guy, is it realistic to have that many shades of green 

Whittier...I reduced the number of shades of green to 47...:P...Actually I did reduce the number of green shades... The uniform will have 2 shades plus silver, and the logos just a couple more. Still not as many colours as the Hawks logo.

20 hours ago, OhioSportsMan61 said:

Not a big fan of the monogram, but that frog rocks! Fantastic mark you've got there, and very unique to the NHL

I think it could be, Ohio...maybe it starts life out as a secondary and eventually makes it way to the premier position...

Ok...thanks for the input everyone...I scrapped that first "EC" attempt...trying too hard...so maybe a simple solution is to have a letter "E", made up with a letter"C" and a small emerald diamond shape in place of the middle bar of the "E". I'll try a few different font types....here's the first crack at it...

N1jS94c.jpg

1 minute ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Impaler (love that) and Steelman...Thanks but no problems in accepting critiques...I've posted a LOT of concepts here over the years and I can't think of one that didn't improve with the feedback from fellow members. I welcome the different viewpoints 'cause I think it results in a better final product...That "E/C" logo wasn't cutting it.

Thanks dp...I tried to put some skates on him, but it just looked weird...I'll give it another crack. I've completely changed the "EC"...Got any ideas for a name that would have a frog mascot?

Thanks woody...I've got a roundel logo in the works for an alt..

Whittier...I reduced the number of shades of green to 47...:P...Actually I did reduce the number of green shades... The uniform will have 2 shades plus silver, and the logos just a couple more. Still not as many colours as the Hawks logo.

I think it could be, Ohio...maybe it starts life out as a secondary and eventually makes it way to the premier position...

Ok...thanks for the input everyone...I scrapped that first "EC" attempt...trying too hard...so maybe a simple solution is to have a letter "E", made up with a letter"C" and a small emerald diamond shape in place of the middle bar of the "E". I'll try a few different font types....here's the first crack at it...

N1jS94c.jpg

Great attempt! Not to be rude, but the “E”’s middle looks like a plumbob from the Sims Series.

6 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Fans have made their suggestions and we even came up with a few of our own, but Governor Jay Inslee potentially put an end to the conversation during an interview with FOX13. While discussing a proposed high-speed rail system between Seattle and Vancouver, Inslee referred the proposed hockey team as the ‘Totems.’

The following is an excerpt from FOXQ13:

"We cannot wait to get on a high-speed rail line to come up and have the greatest hockey rivalry in North American which is the Seattle Totems versus the Vancouver Canucks,”

https://www.bardown.com/did-seattle-s-governor-just-accidentally-drop-the-name-of-the-city-s-potential-nhl-team-1.1030876

Yeah...I saw that, pastajoe...interesting...not sure if the guv has some inside information, or it's just some wishful thinking on his favourite name...

Sparky, much love, but the EC concept is only going to work as a secondary. That being said, the new EC is much better than the old EC/FC design.

I'm digging the frog - it is certainly unique - but not with the background gemstone. I use the general term gemstone, because your logo features the diamond cut, and not the appropriate emerald cut. Your 2nd EC logo is more in line with emerald cuts. 

There's something to be said to the notion of transplanting the frog identity to another team name concept. Maybe your Evergreens concept:

-the base Evergreens concept is a little bland (still good though) and could use an extra element. 

-It really accentuates the green ID.

-it is after all a Tree Frog.

Guest darkpiranha
19 minutes ago, ScreamingViking said:

Sparky, much love, but the EC concept is only going to work as a secondary. That being said, the new EC is much better than the old EC/FC design.

I'm digging the frog - it is certainly unique - but not with the background gemstone. I use the general term gemstone, because your logo features the diamond cut, and not the appropriate emerald cut. Your 2nd EC logo is more in line with emerald cuts. 

There's something to be said to the notion of transplanting the frog identity to another team name concept. Maybe your Evergreens concept:

-the base Evergreens concept is a little bland (still good though) and could use an extra element. 

I agree with this.  The frog seems like a natural fit for Evergreens.  There's no mental disconnect between trees and frogs like there was with emeralds and frogs.  Even if you never put a tree anywhere in the branding, if I saw a frog with the word Evergreen, the connection is obvious and solid.  Any trees would be gravy.   And to further make it a smooth connection, instead of calling the team the EvergreenS, how about just the Seattle Evergreen?  That way it implies the trees, but also can evoke the image of an entire forest or environmental concept.  Of which, frogs are an even more logical connection.  

17 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

I hear you, hbro...and I remember that "bug"...but is the tree-frog any more "cartoony" than some other well-known and accepted logos?...

gqjpwZD.jpg

I think the difference is the level of shading. With the classic cartoon logos, they're flat, no shading, no dimension. Your frog, however, is cartoony, but also has the detail. So my perception is you're trying to do both a cartoon and a realistic logo. I'd simplify the frog down to remove shading and accents to give it a more classic cartoon look if we're going down that path.

5 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I think the difference is the level of shading. With the classic cartoon logos, they're flat, no shading, no dimension. Your frog, however, is cartoony, but also has the detail. So my perception is you're trying to do both a cartoon and a realistic logo. I'd simplify the frog down to remove shading and accents to give it a more classic cartoon look if we're going down that path.

That may be why it’s giving it a minor league astetic

Loving the concept going on here, the frog is a fantastic logo. But maybe too good. The EC logo isn’t getting there. It looks a little strange to me att the moment. I don’t know where else you could go with it though. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 3/10/2018 at 6:11 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

Hi Bomo...I did up a Kraken (cray-kin) concept w-a-a-a-y back in 2013 (holy crap...5 years ago!) that was very well received. I'm gonna revamp it. The logos and colours will be the same but I'll upgrade the uniforms...I'll get to that real soon...

nP19Zkj.jpg

I know you haven't updated the uni's yet but to me the color scheme on this one seems to clash, maybe it's just me but I'm not a big fan of the two tone green (I really think it's just the bright green) but I think a nice soft blue with a mid tone charcoal would look really cool with that logo concept.

On 2018-03-19 at 5:13 PM, OhioSportsMan61 said:

I would simplify the eye and get rid of the translucent highlight on the pupil and iris. Make the eye one color of red, and the pupil the darker shade of green but keep the white highlight in it

Good suggestion, Ohio...did that and he looks a little less stoned...a little less like he's been lickin' his own skin :lol:.

On 2018-03-19 at 5:32 PM, ScreamingViking said:

I'm digging the frog - it is certainly unique - but not with the background gemstone. I use the general term gemstone, because your logo features the diamond cut, and not the appropriate emerald cut. Your 2nd EC logo is more in line with emerald cuts. There's something to be said to the notion of transplanting the frog identity to another team name concept. Maybe your Evergreens concept:

On 2018-03-19 at 6:01 PM, darkpiranha said:

I agree with this.  The frog seems like a natural fit for Evergreens.  There's no mental disconnect between trees and frogs like there was with emeralds and frogs.  Even if you never put a tree anywhere in the branding, if I saw a frog with the word Evergreen, the connection is obvious and solid.  Any trees would be gravy.   And to further make it a smooth connection, instead of calling the team the EvergreenS, how about just the Seattle Evergreen?  That way it implies the trees, but also can evoke the image of an entire forest or environmental concept.  Of which, frogs are an even more logical connection.  

Great advice guys...I put an evergreen shape behind him and slid him over to that concept...he looked good over there...I came back here and tweaked the "E" and created a roundel secondary. Looked good, but lacked a little levity...so, I brought froggy back here as a promo/merch logo and maybe a logo for an alt uni. I'm still working on a script "S" (for Seattle) squirrel logo for the Evergreens.

On 2018-03-20 at 10:03 AM, Dan O'Mac said:

You're right about the flatness of the other classic logos. I flattened the frog a bit, but when I removed the white highlights, he just lost his shiny-ness.

On 2018-03-20 at 5:21 PM, hecticbro said:

Also, tree frogs are just naturally goofy-looking creatures.

Yep...and in his new role as a primarily "merchandise" logo... that could be a good thing...

ELDpWqr.jpg

On 2018-03-17 at 11:34 PM, woody86 said:

I always like an old-timey-feeling roundel on a hockey sweater.

Here ya go, woody...

On 2018-03-19 at 7:40 PM, TaylorMade said:

Why doesn't the top right corner of the C cut in like all the others? If it did, it would actually look like an emerald cut.

On 2018-03-20 at 4:03 PM, BellaSpurs said:

It looks a little strange to me att the moment. 

...Thanks guys...rounded off the top right corner...looks better...Like you said Taylor...looks like an emerald cut...Completed the "soccer-rugby" vibe with a crest-style roundel, and rugby chest stripes....

KMRG207.jpg

7 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Here ya go, woody...

...Thanks guys...rounded off the top right corner...looks better...Like you said Taylor...looks like an emerald cut...Completed the "soccer-rugby" vibe with a crest-style roundel, and rugby chest stripes....

KMRG207.jpg

Those are some really good outfits.

Archived