On 2018-03-22 at 3:53 PM, hecticbro said:

I like that update a lot better. Much more NHL-ready, I'd say!

On 2018-03-22 at 2:05 PM, woody86 said:

Awesome! Looks good. I appreciate your willingness to appease the masses. ;) I'm curious how you feel about how the look has evolved. And as always, I look forward to where you'll take it all from here. 

Thank you guys... I wouldn't say it's appeasing the masses, woody...it's just listening and acting on good advice...several points of view are always better than just one. I'm pretty happy with the results so far, although I'll still probably make a few adjustments as we go.

Ok...moving on...

Seattle Sockeyes

I chose "Sockeyes" over "Steelheads" only because I liked the sound of the name better. The sockeye also allowed me to bring in a mainly reddish uniform...

k8El5BZ.jpg

...Awesome-looking fish, eh?...

Thaumatrope posted this image up over in the 'Seattle NHL Brand Discussion' thread...

gX6qLHN.jpg

I thought that I would try those colours and Salish style with this concept. The primary logo ends up being a busy (hopefully not too busy) and open piece. I couldn't resist putting in a small "Sockeye" caricature that could be for kids' stuff. There is no secondary but I took an element from the primary to place on the shoulders...

nfOGnTX.jpg

Up next...and last but not least...the Kraken (cray-kin) arises from the Pacific's murky depths...

kKGYxO3.jpg

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I want to like the Sockeyes, I just can't imagine that being used in the NHL. As good of a concept as it is, I can really only see it as that - a concept.

I'd throw my hat in for the Sea Lions. There's just something about that logo that I love. Mets are a close second.

As always, freaking amazing work, Sparky!

That Sockeye concept is just gorgeous. Great colors and logos, the only thing that I didn't get was the captain C patch. Love that SockEye logo, wouldn't mind putting it as a shoulder patch, it wouldn't be too dissimilar to the silly Blue Jackets stinger logo (and it would make a ton more sense)

07Giants.pngnyy.png

All your logos are amazing but the Totems and the Sea lions are even more outstanding than the others! Probabily a good deal are the flashy color schemes...

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

One of the best parts about your logos is that they don't necessarily look like the same person designed each one. There are some threads on here where I feel like I can tell exactly who designed it because of similarities across a bunch of the logos. Fantastic work on these. The Seal and Sockeye logos are my favorites of the bunch.

XcryMwi.png

On 3/24/2018 at 7:50 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

Thank you guys... I wouldn't say it's appeasing the masses, woody...it's just listening and acting on good advice...several points of view are always better than just one. I'm pretty happy with the results so far, although I'll still probably make a few adjustments as we go.

Ok...moving on...

Seattle Sockeyes

I chose "Sockeyes" over "Steelheads" only because I liked the sound of the name better. The sockeye also allowed me to bring in a mainly reddish uniform...

k8El5BZ.jpg

...Awesome-looking fish, eh?...

Thaumatrope posted this image up over in the 'Seattle NHL Brand Discussion' thread...

gX6qLHN.jpg

I thought that I would try those colours and Salish style with this concept. The primary logo ends up being a busy (hopefully not too busy) and open piece. I couldn't resist putting in a small "Sockeye" caricature that could be for kids' stuff. There is no secondary but I took an element from the primary to place on the shoulders...

nfOGnTX.jpg

Up next...and last but not least...the Kraken (cray-kin) arises from the Pacific's murky depths...

kKGYxO3.jpg

Love the color combination and uniforms, but something about the primary logo isn't doing anything for me. Not the Native American/tribal motif, buy the way the fish in a complete circular motion.

On 2018-03-25 at 1:53 PM, Section30 said:

I absolutely love the Sockeyes, just wondering, what would it look like if the shade of red was lightened a little to be closer to what you're basing it off of?

Good suggestion...I lightened up the red in the logo, but kept the darker, ochre-ish red on the uniform...

NiHfHu7.jpg

8 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

something about the primary logo isn't doing anything for me... the way the fish is in a complete circular motion.

Thanks Tygers...I tried a side view "pose" for the fish...but the circular version filled the front of the sweater better.

3 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

The only thing we're missing now is the Battle of Seattle Hockey Cods.

Thank you Dan...you're the man! ...And you are 100% right...these all need to be cod'd

The Seattle Kraken

I left this to the last, because I pretty much have it done (I did a Kraken concept about 5 years ago). So, I'm playing catch-up with the other 8 concepts. For starters, we should decide on the proper pronunciation of "Kraken"...

Of the 3 options...(cray-kin...crack-in...crock-in), I think that "cray-kin" sounds the cleanest, (least guttural) and with "cray-kin", you may avoid a lot of the butt-crack, crack-head references (although you're gonna get those from the haters anyway)....also, "cray-kin" rhymes with Awaken, Shakin', Quakin', and bacon. (Anything that rhymes with "bacon", can't be bad, eh?)... So on any word  mark, I put the long-vowel-slash over the "A"...

IhfDAfg.jpg

Man, all of these are phenomenal.

While Steelhead/Rainbow trout are the state fish of Washington,I find it's becoming overused in hockey with Mississauga and Idaho. That being said, Sockeyes almost has a double entendre with getting "socked" in the eye during a hockey fight. I love it.

I've been a huge fan of Sea Lions since you did a concept waaay back and this one only makes me more of a fan. 

As cool as the idea of Kraken is and as wicked as your identity is, I can't back it as a name.

Same with Emeralds, but that freakin' frog man! Awesome. 

I gotta go:

1. Seattle Sea Lions

2. Seattle Sockeyes

3. Seattle Totems

sig.png

I'd say the best pure logo is the Totems-"S"

Best uniform colours are the ones with a green primary. I would really think the OVG will go with green, and why not the Sonics old Green and Gold? Points for the Sawbucks (even though there's no way they risk messing with Starbucks on a similar name).

Though the Sockeyes have a great logo, I just don't see that de-saturated ochre being either a great merchandise seller or a good look on TV. Maybe try the teal as a primary uni colour - though admittedly, you have the Sharks to the south - the ochre is a dynamite secondary/tertiary (see your Kraken concepts).

Best overall unis are the Kraken, love the layout and striping.Also love the Dark green/lime contrast.Works for the Totems too.

Whichever concept wins the BoS, I think you've created a great baseline for what OVG should be shooting for: Green, flora/fauna-themed, and contemporary.

Wow, I've been away for a bit but this is amazing. I think you nailed the emeralds but I think the primary should say "Seattle Emeralds" or something of the sort. "Emeralds City" seems like the sort of stuff that would go on merchandise.  Sockeyes are perfect.

tinysig.jpg

Archived