Recommended Posts

Aviators 10/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Whittier S said:

Aviators 10/10.

Understandable, since Boeing factory is located on outskirts of town.…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2018 at 12:33 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

Yeah...it's a pretty basic template that I use for experimenting with colour combos...I can tweak it later.

I'll give the purp a shot, jd...

Thank you Smashmode...welcome to the Boards!

I'll try that, BL. Thanks...

 

OK...I'm liking the "plaid-cut" sweater design. I think it's very Seattle-ish. I think Seattle should take ownership of the "plaid thing", in the way that the "RedBlacks" have done in the CFL.

It would be a great tool for marketing purposes, and plaid, just says "hockey", IMO!.. So, I've kicked around a couple of concepts that would suit the plaid look.

 

The Seattle Beavers

 

A good name, but maybe not realistic because of the OSU Beavers living almost next door...I gave it a shot anyway, with an old logo of mine...

 

e6mcdda.jpg

 

 

The Seattle Nor'Westers

 

You can't get much more north and west, than Seattle (Alaska says hi, though)...The name also has a "regional" twang to it. I did up a very "Whaler-ish" logo to go with this concept...

 

VjIFS8E.jpg

I really, really like this identity- it reminds me of the Northwestern Airlines logo.  One thing: I'd love to see the logo without the red bit in the middle.  I understand that it' supposed to point "northwest", but you already have that in the "wings" on the W.  I think it also interrupts the negative-space "N", and it looks a bit weird as the only red in an otherwise all-blue logo.

That being said, I love the rest of the uniforms and logos.  I think that the double shades of blue work very well for a nautical-themed team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After three years in Alaska, I can attest they're all Seahawks and Sounders fans up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to pee on the parade, but "nor'westers" are definitely not a thing. However, us Seattleites are pretty proud of being from the "great northwest," so what about the North Westerners?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sawbucks is my favorite as a package, but I love the Metropolitans and Pilots designs you have. As a unit, though, definitely Sawbucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I hope that everyone's having a great summer...

Holy crap, it's been hot!! 

With my job, I work outside about 90% of the time, so I'm really looking forward to the cooler weather. It's been busy, so I took a break from the graphics, but I want to get back at it and finish this topic off. So, I'm presenting a summary of what I've done, with a few tweaks and a couple of new concepts. Here goes...

 

Metropolitans

 

I gave this thing an art-deco feel to acknowledge the 1917 Metropolitans. That "look' could be pretty cool when it comes to marketing (posters, shirts, etc.)...

 

uOqm7zU.jpg

 

I kept logos and uniforms pretty much the same as before, with a slight change to the shoulders on the whites.

It's a clean, green and white, double-stripe theme...

BT0jmRi.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evergreens

 

This name is growing on me. Of course, it can be shortened to "Greens"...

 

Z6Ohmnb.jpg

 

This is basically, another green/white colour scheme with some added silver. I changed up the squirrel-mascot secondary to work in with a script-font "Seattle"...

 

LS61DTE.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emeralds

 

Seattle is often referred to as the "Emerald City", so I went with "Emeralds City", and gave it a rugby-ish feel, with chest stripes, and a crest-like secondary logo. The Pacific Tree Frog (a living and local "emerald") would make a great mascot...

 

8BZ9aqx.jpg

 

qFZQYOD.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sea Lions

 

I tried quite a few colour combos with the 'Lions, before settling on a blue-green/grey option. I thought that this choice reflected a west coast shoreline, and the Seattle city flag...

 

Ujf94fj.jpg

 

c3hrTXt.jpg

 

Also, I had the chance to see the unis "in action" at a Seattle tournament...

 

pgGgstI.jpg

 

I greened-up the green-blue (to make it less teal-ish) and darkened up the grey...

 

ll9ssQl.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Plaid-Cuts"

 

I designed-up a uniform that used traditional sweater "cut-lines" and colour variations to give a plaid effect.

Hey, if any city could rock a plaid uniform, it'd be Seattle.

The blocks of colour frame the numbers and logos very well, and the plaid theme works great with merchandise.

 

nDCZyV4.jpg

 

Sawbucks

 

This was the original "plaid-cut" team. The name "Sawbucks" of course gives a "wink-wink" nod to Seattle's most popular export, and can be shortened to 'Bucks.

It draws on Seattle's lumbering history for it's look...

 

CsNGHLc.jpg

 

 

Nor'Westers

 

The other "plaid-cut" look, belongs to the "Nor'Westers". I wanted an idea that was kind of all-inclusive, drawing on several elements of the PNW region.

The secondary, (a "Whalers-ish" "NW"), references the mountains, ocean, and forests...

 

ghcUqsj.jpg

 

The primary has a dominant red pointer, pointing north-west, and combines the new (compass) and indigenous (feathers) worlds in one shape...

 

zfphj0H.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two concepts pay tribute to Seattle's aviation history...

 

Pilots

 

The Pilots utilize the WWII-era, black and white "invasion stripes"...

ndz6PGW.jpg

 

...and a unique flight-jacket-brown to offer up a distinct look...

 

mzFqcRK.jpg

 

 

Aviators

 

A while back, I explored a vintage aviation theme with the "Las Vegas Aces" concept.'Twas a lot of fun...

Both the "Pilots" and "Aviators" could have that classic barn-stormer vibe...

 

8MXc4uY.jpg

 

EoCOdD1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the importance of Washington State's fishing industry, it's no wonder that 2 "fish-names" are contenders for team name...

 

Steelheads

 

I wanted to try a contemporary rather than "native" look for the "Steelheads".

Also, in that same Seattle tournament that I referenced earlier, a tan Pilots' uniform didn't look too bad...

 

jSDo5YK.jpg

 

So, I tried a tan/steel blue/black colour combo...

 

g0VIvcl.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sockeyes

 

The sockeye's a fierce looking salmon, that turns a bright red during spawning season...

 

sxolz6z.jpg

 

I tried to emulate a West-Coast Salish Art look in the design of the logo and uniforms for this concept. I think that if the franchise uses an indigenous look, the concept would need to have complete approval from local tribes, or actually be created by an artist from that community... Rather than a secondary logo, I would use Salish design elements on the shoulders and pants...( I simplified the primary logo from previous versions)...

 

4I5mKS2.jpg

 

NOTE...the very literal "Sock-Eye with a Stick" logo is a kids' merchandise logo.?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totems

 

As with "Metropolitans", Seattle would be reaching into its hockey past with "Totems"...

 

HntDKYe.jpg

 

I've used the same "brick-red/aqua/black" Sockeyes colours with the "Totems"...

 

OuEMf1U.jpg

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kraken

 

First of all, I say it should be pronounced "Cray-Kin"...that just sounds the best of all options IMO.

Someone mentioned earlier, that my primary and secondary logos were too similar.

I agree, so I created a new secondary.

The logo combines the letter "S" with the huge eye of a giant squid (kraken)...

 

eA0SOj3.jpg

 

I also brightened up the dark green on the uniforms.

I tried using a straight traditional striping pattern, but the 90-ish curvy striping just suited a tentacled kraken theme better.

 

Cvd2TO8.jpg

 

...coming soon...The KrakenShakin' Video...

 

xvlgXgu.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Metros are my favorite hands down, but all of these are incredible. I don’t think any Seattle fan would be disappointed with any option were this a real choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seattleite here!

First off, what an amazing series! All the ideas are really fun and the concepts are executed well. Good work!

Here's my ranking & opinions of your concepts for my future NHL team!

Disclaimer: I feel strongly that all Seattle teams should be blue & green...

 

12th) Aviators

I'm not a fan of the Aviators logo; the wings feel more bird-like than airplane-like. The brown & black color scheme is really off-putting to me for some reason. The jersey chevrons are kinda cool, though.

 

11th) Steelheads

The Steelheads' jerseys are fine, and the hook & stick is interesting. However, the primary logo looks like some monster more than a fish, like due to the black shadow around the eye and the strange jaw-hinge-thing. A blue-silver primary color would be more appropriate here, IMO.

 

10th) Kraken

Honestly, I really dislike the Kraken name, and the "Cray-kin" pronunciation makes it a lot worse, but your logo set makes it a tad more bearable. I like the Metros S tentacle logo. The eye's a bit weird, but it works. The jerseys are okay, but it's a lot of black. I think navy blue or a really dark teal might look better in its place.

 

9th) Pilots

I like the Pilots logo, and the jerseys are clever. I'd probably love it a lot more in blue & gold (ala MLB Pilots), but whatever. I don't like the pilot-head logo; it's too detailed when paired with the simple S. I like the Metros S + propeller logo, but I'd switch the black & white so the S matches the main logo.

 

T-7th) Sawbucks

The Sawbucks is a really good technical concept, with nice jerseys and well-executed logo-set. However, with the logging and the Timbers colors (yes, they're also Sonics colors, but still) and especially the Stag, it feels too Portlandy for me. The pun is funny but I definitely wouldn't want that name IRL.

 

T-7th) Evergreens

The Evergreens have a solid jersey set, and a nice simple primary logo. However the squirrel feels super-cartoony and complicated in an otherwise geometric and simple identity... Not sure how to reconcile that!

 

6th) Emeralds

The Emeralds have solid jerseys, too. I like that double green and chest stripe look. The primary logo is elegant in its execution. The roundel feels a bit redundant, so maybe you could put the frog or a Space Needle or an emerald or something in there?

 

5th) Nor'westers

The Nor'westers plaid double green jersey is a lot of fun, and the light blue accents are a nice touch. The away jersey's striping is still a bit awkward, especially the hem. The compass logo is quite good -- is the light blue square gone from the jersey logos on purpose? The name's a bit awkward, IMO, though.

 

4th) Totems

All of your Totems logos are amazing, especially that new one. The jerseys look quite good, especially the away. Maybe consider forest green rather than black, to callback to the original Totems? I'd love to see a primarily teal home jersey!

 

3rd) Metros

A perfect refresh of the 1917 champs. The kelly & white is super-classy and would work well for a Seattle team with the Metros' history. The logos capture the art deco style well.

Personally, I prefer your original Metros away without the full-length yoke, but this update works really well too. I also think you could do an S shoulder patch, with a split S in that same art deco style and the "SEATTLE" running between the outlines.

 

2nd) Sockeyes

The logo is really wonderful, and fits the local indigenous style quite well, and really elevates that color scheme. The jerseys are really nice, and the indigenous pattern motif on the sleeves and shorts are beautiful.  I think a teal or black alt could work well, but honestly, this is the one concept that makes me forget my reservations about a non-blue or green primary color for Seattle.

 

1st) Sea Lions

The Sea Lions look absolutely breath-taking. Everything about them works perfectly for Seattle. The Sea Lions' latest update to Mariners teal is an improvement, but the flag color works just as well--actually, the Sea Lions have looked great in all of your variations in teal. The darker gray really improves it, though I'd just suggest blue-ing it a bit, but otherwise, this concept is absolute perfection!

 

 

Overall, an amazing series with great logos and jerseys. Sorry to get nitpicky with some of my opinions here, but it's so hard to choose between them all. The Seattle NHL group should definitely consider your work here! Go Seattle go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude... How could you take some already-great logos and make them exponentially better?  These are all varying levels of incredible.  In awe.  The ONLY thing that doesn't connect for me among all of these is the diamond-shaped crossbeam on the Emeralds E.  I never not read it as a C with something stuck on it.  I don't remember all the iterations of that logo, but what does it look like just making that shape a rectangular-cut extension?  

 

But... hat permanently tipped to you, my friend.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 29, 2018 at 4:13 AM, darkpiranha said:

Dude... How could you take some already-great logos and make them exponentially better?  These are all varying levels of incredible.  In awe.  The ONLY thing that doesn't connect for me among all of these is the diamond-shaped crossbeam on the Emeralds E.  I never not read it as a C with something stuck on it. 

Hello darkp...good to hear from you...The "E" is also supposed to be a "C", for "Emeralds City", but you're right...something seems a little off with it. I'm responding to you guys from Belfast, Northern Ireland (I managed to find some decent wi-fi), so I'll play around with it when I get back in about 10 days.

On August 28, 2018 at 3:10 PM, Lee Noire said:

Metros are my favorite hands down, but all of these are incredible. I don’t think any Seattle fan would be disappointed with any option were this a real choice.

Thanks Mr. Noire...appreciate that...Again, I think that the art-deco vibe could be a very cool marketing tool (posters). In the league we have blue and white...red and white...maybe it's time for a crisp, clean green and white entry.

On August 28, 2018 at 8:34 PM, vtgco said:

Seattleite here!

First off, what an amazing series! All the ideas are really fun and the concepts are executed well. Good work!

Here's my ranking & opinions of your concepts for my future NHL team!

Disclaimer: I feel strongly that all Seattle teams should be blue & green...

 

12th) Aviators

I'm not a fan of the Aviators logo; the wings feel more bird-like than airplane-like. The brown & black color scheme is really off-putting to me for some reason. The jersey chevrons are kinda cool, though.

 

11th) Steelheads

The Steelheads' jerseys are fine, and the hook & stick is interesting. However, the primary logo looks like some monster more than a fish, like due to the black shadow around the eye and the strange jaw-hinge-thing. A blue-silver primary color would be more appropriate here, IMO.

 

10th) Kraken

Honestly, I really dislike the Kraken name, and the "Cray-kin" pronunciation makes it a lot worse, but your logo set makes it a tad more bearable. I like the Metros S tentacle logo. The eye's a bit weird, but it works. The jerseys are okay, but it's a lot of black. I think navy blue or a really dark teal might look better in its place.

 

9th) Pilots

I like the Pilots logo, and the jerseys are clever. I'd probably love it a lot more in blue & gold (ala MLB Pilots), but whatever. I don't like the pilot-head logo; it's too detailed when paired with the simple S. I like the Metros S + propeller logo, but I'd switch the black & white so the S matches the main logo.

 

T-7th) Sawbucks

The Sawbucks is a really good technical concept, with nice jerseys and well-executed logo-set. However, with the logging and the Timbers colors (yes, they're also Sonics colors, but still) and especially the Stag, it feels too Portlandy for me. The pun is funny but I definitely wouldn't want that name IRL.

 

T-7th) Evergreens

The Evergreens have a solid jersey set, and a nice simple primary logo. However the squirrel feels super-cartoony and complicated in an otherwise geometric and simple identity... Not sure how to reconcile that!

 

6th) Emeralds

The Emeralds have solid jerseys, too. I like that double green and chest stripe look. The primary logo is elegant in its execution. The roundel feels a bit redundant, so maybe you could put the frog or a Space Needle or an emerald or something in there?

 

5th) Nor'westers

The Nor'westers plaid double green jersey is a lot of fun, and the light blue accents are a nice touch. The away jersey's striping is still a bit awkward, especially the hem. The compass logo is quite good -- is the light blue square gone from the jersey logos on purpose? The name's a bit awkward, IMO, though.

 

4th) Totems

All of your Totems logos are amazing, especially that new one. The jerseys look quite good, especially the away. Maybe consider forest green rather than black, to callback to the original Totems? I'd love to see a primarily teal home jersey!

 

3rd) Metros

A perfect refresh of the 1917 champs. The kelly & white is super-classy and would work well for a Seattle team with the Metros' history. The logos capture the art deco style well.

Personally, I prefer your original Metros away without the full-length yoke, but this update works really well too. I also think you could do an S shoulder patch, with a split S in that same art deco style and the "SEATTLE" running between the outlines.

 

2nd) Sockeyes

The logo is really wonderful, and fits the local indigenous style quite well, and really elevates that color scheme. The jerseys are really nice, and the indigenous pattern motif on the sleeves and shorts are beautiful.  I think a teal or black alt could work well, but honestly, this is the one concept that makes me forget my reservations about a non-blue or green primary color for Seattle.

 

1st) Sea Lions

The Sea Lions look absolutely breath-taking. Everything about them works perfectly for Seattle. The Sea Lions' latest update to Mariners teal is an improvement, but the flag color works just as well--actually, the Sea Lions have looked great in all of your variations in teal. The darker gray really improves it, though I'd just suggest blue-ing it a bit, but otherwise, this concept is absolute perfection!

 

 

Overall, an amazing series with great logos and jerseys. Sorry to get nitpicky with some of my opinions here, but it's so hard to choose between them all. The Seattle NHL group should definitely consider your work here! Go Seattle go!

Hi vgtco...greetings from Belfast...Good to hear from someone in Seattle (I hope this NHL process keeps proceeding well for you folks in the Emerald City) and thanks so much for the extended response. I'm actually in agreement with most of your observations so I'll just respond to some of your points.

- Blue and green...I agree that it suits Seattle, but I'm not sure that Seattleites would ever hear the end of it from your closest rivals unless the blue and green were very different shades.

- interesting that you picked up on the bird-like nature of the Aviators' "A"...That was a logo that I had designed in a previous thread for the Ducks ?

- Yes the Steelhead needs to look a little more "fishy"

-"Kraken" seems to be a very polarizing name. Personally, I like it...I think a lot can be done with it...I'll try a different colour combo...

- Yes, the Evergreens squirrel might be better suited as a merchandise logo on t-shirts, etc.

- Also Yes, the Nor'Westers name is a bit of a mouthful and really can't be shortened ( can't be "Nors" or "Westers"). I'll work on it. The lt. blue exclusion was a mistake on my part.

- I'll try a dark green with the Totems

 

Thanks again v.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now