• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

With the first page for the Metropolitans, you have a misspelled word. Looks like "shining" ended up with an extra "n" in it.

Ha...yeah...That's like when Bill Foley made his acceptance-into-the-NHL speech, and he reminisced about playing "shiny hockey" on the Rideau...

(Actually, little did we know how prophetic he was being, as his team became the shiny Knights.😏)

After much thought, my "Top Five" would be ranked as follows:

1) Totems
2) Sea Lions
3T) Metropolitans
3T) Sockeyes
5) Pilots

As currently constituted, Steelheads - though strong - finishes at #6. To my eye, there's just something a bit "off" about the rendering of the Steelhead. It seems a bit too elongated from top to bottom, which calls to mind an eel to me.

I'll tell you what the revelation was to me amongst each team's logo package: the inaugural season mark for the Sea Lions. Outstanding! In fact, if you were to strip the words and year from that design, then position it as the team's primary mark and utilize it as the jersey logo, the Sea Lions would jump to #1 on my list.

Terrific work, as always, sparky!   

I love seeing your work, and the polish you’ve put to some of these are impressive. If someone in Seattle has a different idea, they have a tall-order to live up to IMO

That Seattle Kraken identity has shot up the rankings for me. The balance you’ve found between the classic ’S’ and the trident looks great, and I like how you’ve pulled the Kraken tentacles off subtly here. Best use of the Seattle ’S’ I think I’ve seen so far and I really like it in red as well. I don’t know why, but the only thing that bothers me is the bar at the base of the trident. That line and the base might just need to be rounded to match the ’S’ I think for that to work. Very well done Sparky!

A couple others if you’re interested

- Sawbucks look too leaned back to me. I think the antler placement Is perfect, so just tilting the head (and definitely the neck) down will give it a much more aggressive and athletic look

- I think jokes will be made about the Squirrel’s posture with the Evergreens. Love the tail and the treatment of ‘Seattle’ - but the posture might need a re-think. With a squirrel, you could probably pull off shooting the acorn across the ‘Seattle’ while still keeping this positioning of the ’S’ I think (idea: http://www.chryscleary.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/flyingsquirrels.jpg)

- Still love that Sealions logo. I think the thing that holds it back is how empty it is as a primary, but it looks fantastic on the white jersey. What about taking that same colouring, and adding a healthy amount of white around it for the dark jersey? That inaugural season logo looks amazing. I like the upwards and proud logo better as a primary, but the finish on that Inaugural logo looks great. I think the font is all that holds that back btw.

- The treatment on the Steelheads is a great idea as well. Seems disjointed (and as Brian mentioned, a bit ‘eel like’) but the idea is there. Something a bit thicker and more powerful would look great.

- Sockeyes also look great. I Have warmed up to that one more and more whenever I see it with this polish. I’d try a darker colour for the eye there as that colour looks really flat and draws my attention right away, but that’s a really cool mark for the Sockeyes

- Wow do I like what you did with the Totems.

- For the Emeralds, did you try something with a squared-off tie? Something about the ‘Sims gem’ weakens the emerald feel for me. I think if the tie was chiseled from the same gem (kinda feel) the initial impressions would be ’square emerald’ as it is for me, I’m seeing the ‘Sims gem’ first and building the rest from there. IMO entirely, of course :P

You’ve done such a good job putting together identities here. That Kraken (or the acorn!) hat alone would be a win for a new franchise. Agree with you 100% btw on the plaid. Would be a really smart more in Seattle - depending on what identity they go with. Thanks for posting these!

Hey, nice spin on the Evergreens, which has been my personal preference for Seattle hockey for about 16 years or so. Our minds are thinking alike on E+Tree:

On 11/24/2017 at 8:13 AM, the admiral said:

fWmgLvo.jpg

You've seen the Indian Head, the Winged Wheel, and the Skating Penguin, now make way for the Treedle. My execution isn't perfect because I'm not very good at this but I think I'm heading in the right direction...

But I like where you're going with the inclusion of lumberjack-style plaid. I think that would really stand out for our Mean Greens one day.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/14/2018 at 8:27 PM, Brian in Boston said:

I love the idea of a Seattle-based NHL franchise adopting the Totems moniker, but I'd prefer that the team's color scheme reflect that of Coast Salish art. While the Coast Salish were known to embrace a wider array of colors in their art than the Haida did (yellows and greens make appearances in Coast Salish art), I'd still love to see your concept embrace a Black, Red Ochre, Deep Teal, and White palette.  

On 1/18/2019 at 12:16 PM, Brian in Boston said:

As currently constituted, Steelheads - though strong - finishes at #6. To my eye, there's just something a bit "off" about the rendering of the Steelhead. It seems a bit too elongated from top to bottom, which calls to mind an eel to me.
I'll tell you what the revelation was to me amongst each team's logo package: the inaugural season mark for the Sea Lions. Outstanding! In fact, if you were to strip the words and year from that design, then position it as the team's primary mark and utilize it as the jersey logo, the Sea Lions would jump to #1 on my list.

Great advice as usual, B.i.B...Back in March, (holy crap...this things been going for a year!😶), you advised me to make some changes to the Totems log and colours...

Followed that advice and the Totems concept is much improved...thanks!

I beefed-up the Steelhead. It not only made the fish less eel-like, but it emphasized the "S" bit more...still looks a tad elongated, but I think that's gonna be the nature of that logo.

I took the second SeaLions logo and tried something a little different with it. Thanks again Brian.

w0CQ5Ch.jpg

d7Yc4ul.jpg

On 1/18/2019 at 1:35 PM, Nurtured Pixel said:

I love seeing your work, and the polish you’ve put to some of these are impressive. If someone in Seattle has a different idea, they have a tall-order to live up to IMO

That Seattle Kraken identity has shot up the rankings for me. The balance you’ve found between the classic ’S’ and the trident looks great, and I like how you’ve pulled the Kraken tentacles off subtly here. Best use of the Seattle ’S’ I think I’ve seen so far and I really like it in red as well. I don’t know why, but the only thing that bothers me is the bar at the base of the trident. That line and the base might just need to be rounded to match the ’S’ I think for that to work. Very well done Sparky!

The treatment on the Steelheads is a great idea as well. Seems disjointed (and as Brian mentioned, a bit ‘eel like’) but the idea is there. Something a bit thicker and more powerful would look great.

- Sockeyes also look great. I Have warmed up to that one more and more whenever I see it with this polish. I’d try a darker colour for the eye there as that colour looks really flat and draws my attention right away, but that’s a really cool mark for the Sockeyes

You’ve done such a good job putting together identities here. That Kraken (or the acorn!) hat alone would be a win for a new franchise. Agree with you 100% btw on the plaid. Would be a really smart more in Seattle - depending on what identity they go with. Thanks for posting these!

...and thank-you Pixel, for the extended, great response!..I edited your post to hi-light the recommendations that I've addressed (so far)...some good observations here...

Yes, the bottom of the Trident has always looked a bit "off". I thought that I'd try a logo-version of THIS graphic...

9yBvXPA.jpg

...where the trident-letter is rising out of the water. The water element looked good on the secondary "K" logo, so...

AdktJ7F.jpg

...and now..it kinda matches the "K". 

The Sockeyes eye-colour change was an easy fix and did improve the look of the logo. Thanks pixels.

D3lTi14.jpg

On 1/20/2019 at 3:33 AM, the admiral said:

Hey, nice spin on the Evergreens, which has been my personal preference for Seattle hockey for about 16 years or so. Our minds are thinking alike on E+Tree:

But I like where you're going with the inclusion of lumberjack-style plaid. I think that would really stand out for our Mean Greens one day.

Thanks admiral... "Evergreens" has definitely moved up my list. I thought, at first, it was a little soft for a name, but when you start thinking about what can be done with it, it has a lot of potential.

I like your "Mean Greens" suggestion...would make a great T, chant, or name for a fan club.

I tried earlier to place the space-needle into the "E" logo, but couldn't pull it off. Kudos to you...the "Treedle" looks good.

...and the plaid thing...It's something that Seattle should consider... Do you guys get the CFL down there? The Ottawa RedBlacks (dumb name though) have incorporated the red plaid into their marketing and it works very well...The fans love it...

ZcwUPw9.jpg

With Seattle's Grunge legacy and the region's logging history (we all watched "Here Come the Brides" as kids, eh?)... plaid would fit right in.

Crisp, green 'n white uniforms, a solid, traditional and non-contentious name... playing in the "Evergreen State"... goofy SQUIRREL! mascot... the plaid element...

'Evergreens" could be a solid name contender, I hope.

33 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Thanks admiral... "Evergreens" has definitely moved up my list. I thought, at first, it was a little soft for a name, but when you start thinking about what can be done with it, it has a lot of potential.

I like your "Mean Greens" suggestion...would make a great T, chant, or name for a fan club.

I tried earlier to place the space-needle into the "E" logo, but couldn't pull it off. Kudos to you...the "Treedle" looks good.

Thanks. I figured "Mean Greens" would be an analogue to "Broad Street Bullies" or "Big Bad Bruins," a nickname a notably physical team gets. 

I think the biggest difference in our approaches is that I tried to lean into the perceived weakness of the name, which is that a tree just sits there and doesn't do anything, rather than compensate for it. So I didn't try to give it motion or edge, it's just...stately, I guess. But one person's stately could be another one's static.

I'm familiar with the CFL from posting here but it's not on the average American's radar.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

44 minutes ago, the admiral said:

... But one person's stately could be another one's static.

Maybe...but stately's a pretty good word to include in the "Evergreens" name narrative. With Washington being the Evergreen State, it kinda adopts the double meaning. 👍

Yes. That’s what I’m talking about for the Sealions. That’s a fantastic logo.  I would still like to see it outside of the ring, but still using the swooshes for more movement to give it a sleek shape. But great evolution of these identities. 

On 1/21/2019 at 2:30 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

Great advice as usual, B.i.B... I beefed-up the Steelhead. It not only made the fish less eel-like, but it emphasized the "S" bit more...still looks a tad elongated, but I think that's gonna be the nature of that logo.

w0CQ5Ch.jpg

Sparky... what you've done here has already reduced the "eel-like" feel that I'd referred to in my initial critique of the Steelheads logo.

Still, as you noted, the mark remains a bit elongated from top to bottom. Here's a thought on how you might be able to address that issue.

As it stands now, your stylized depiction of the steelhead creates an "S" that is italicized. Frankly, to some degree, that works for the logo, as it connotes a sense of dynamic forward motion on the part of the fish. However, it is currently doing so to a degree that is also elongating the fish's form too much.  

What if you were to shift the lower half of the logo - the silver and white segments depicting the tail end of the fish - to the right and upward? I'm thinking of something as simple as a shift that would see the topmost point on the silver segment of the lower half moved to just below the white point in the upper half of the logo that sits under the steelhead's pectoral fin. That move alone will decrease some of the logo's top-to-bottom length.

Once that's done, you may find that you also need to tweak the curvature of the pointed segments that comprise the point on the steelhead's body where it is turning back on itself. That said, you can swim up that stream when you come to it. 😉 For starters, I'd be interested in seeing what a simple shifting of the lower half of the logo accomplishes.

On January 24, 2019 at 8:53 AM, Brian in Boston said:

What if you were to shift the lower half of the logo - the silver and white segments depicting the tail end of the fish - to the right and upward? I'm thinking of something as simple as a shift that would see the topmost point on the silver segment of the lower half moved to just below the white point in the upper half of the logo that sits under the steelhead's pectoral fin. That move alone will decrease some of the logo's top-to-bottom length.

Once that's done, you may find that you also need to tweak the curvature of the pointed segments that comprise the point on the steelhead's body where it is turning back on itself. That said, you can swim up that stream when you come to it. 😉 For starters, I'd be interested in seeing what a simple shifting of the lower half of the logo accomplishes.

Hey Brian...gave that good advice a shot...I think it definitely helped...getting there.

I think in trying to keep to an "S" shape, the fish will always look a little distorted...it's sort of an un-natural twist for a fish.

I'll keep playing with it...also, another version of the diving sea lion...

sfoUykX.jpg

UHVSYRl.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Like the Sea lion better, specifically the implementation of the stick.  Can you put up the various iterations side by side?

On January 21, 2019 at 10:43 PM, B-mer said:

I would still like to see it outside of the ring, but still using the swooshes for more movement to give it a sleek shape. But great evolution of these identities. 

Thanks B-Mer...here's without the ring...

1pikL5o.jpg

I think Seattle Fathoms or Trappers would be interesting.  I know they are not in the top 12 names being floated.  I was trying to think of a different yet relevant name.  There you go. 

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

On 1/25/2019 at 3:44 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

Here you go dp...

sfoUykX.jpg

w0CQ5Ch.jpg

Would it be possible to use a wave or frozen wave shape as the lower portion of the S? Then you could have part of the tail showing in its more natural position. I mean.... it is a steel fish, so being natural doesn't have to be a concern.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Archived