That Rocketeer picture is what really sets your concepts apart. Honestly, your jerseys and logos are good, but so are a lot of jerseys and logos on these boards (seriously, the sheer volume of great work on here is astounding). But things like that, and the merch slicks you made on the Krakens original post, that's what make your concepts unique and memorable.

As far as the logos go, I think your image showing the art deco examples shows the simplicity of your design. When I look at the examples that you shared, see a lot of lines, and neither of your logos has a lot of lines. The two on the top middle combined with the M-needle you already have could get the art deco over a bit more. And the M-needle can be split off on it's own for certain applications, or be the secondary by itself.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2018-02-01 at 11:33 PM, Zeus89725 said:

That identity is a thing of beauty. Awesome work, as always.

On 2018-02-02 at 10:32 PM, JCRGraphix said:

Just gorgeous. I'm sure the NHL will disappoint us compared to these.

16 hours ago, siegel0572 said:

Great work as always Sparky. I really like the look of the primary with the subtle Space Needle. I am also in agreement that it's hard to believe Mets is not a finalist for names. Looking forward to what's coming next.

12 hours ago, SplashBoogie said:

I think we have a winner. The Battle is over. 

Thank you guys...much appreciated... SplashBoogie, welcome, and thanks, but "The Battle" is far from over,...

5 hours ago, scottyeagle said:

That looks so much better than the secondary you had.  Only thing I have to say is some Memphis Grizzlies/Toronto Blue Jays split numerals would really tie the set together.

Thanks scotty...I might try that later...usually, I use a standard number font on all the concepts, and then tweak them later on... It just saves me time.

On 2018-02-02 at 11:15 AM, Dan O'Mac said:

That Rocketeer picture is what really sets your concepts apart. Honestly, your jerseys and logos are good, but so are a lot of jerseys and logos on these boards (seriously, the sheer volume of great work on here is astounding). But things like that, and the merch slicks you made on the Krakens original post, that's what make your concepts unique and memorable.

As far as the logos go, I think your image showing the art deco examples shows the simplicity of your design. When I look at the examples that you shared, see a lot of lines, and neither of your logos has a lot of lines. The two on the top middle combined with the M-needle you already have could get the art deco over a bit more. And the M-needle can be split off on it's own for certain applications, or be the secondary by itself.

Hi Dan... I like your suggestions and I'll definitely use a more detailed and stylized logo(s) on some merch and promo stuff. I think though, for the main and sec logos, I'll keep them pretty basic...more like logos "inspired" by Art-Deco, rather than actual "Art-Deco style" logos. I want the logos to reproduce well at all sizes and be able to slide in with the word mark. However, your observation that a true, more elaborate A-D style could produce some interesting possibilities (for posters, T-shirts, etc...) is bang-on!...

YCoCJaY.jpg

OK guys...I think that I'll push through the 9 concepts by presenting logos and uniforms for all 9, and then come back to explore mascots, merchandise and promotions.

So, I'm happy with the "Metropolitans" look so far. Thanks to all for your input...

Up next...

kezmJCZ.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Secondary is perfect now.  So much so, that I think it should be the co-primary.  Kind of like how the Rangers have Ranges on one jersey and New York on the other, this could be Seattle's home and away jerseys.  While an actual team wouldn't go all-in on art deco, in the concept world, it's fun to imagine everything the Mets doing as art deco themed.  An art deco hockey mask would be great.  Stadium employees dressed in flapper outfits and tux/top hats.  The big rink-wide cheer could be something like "here here! as they mime raising a wine glass."    

2 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Secondary is perfect now.  So much so, that I think it should be the co-primary.  Kind of like how the Rangers have Ranges on one jersey and New York on the other, this could be Seattle's home and away jerseys.  While an actual team wouldn't go all-in on art deco, in the concept world, it's fun to imagine everything the Mets doing as art deco themed.  An art deco hockey mask would be great.  Stadium employees dressed in flapper outfits and tux/top hats.  The big rink-wide cheer could be something like "here here! as they mime raising a wine glass."    

Good ideas, darkp...Like you say...don't overdo the ArtDeco thing on the unis (this is hockey after all), but on the peripheral stuff, like the goalie mask, as you mentioned...it could be kinda cool. Imagine the Winter Classic poster. You touched on the tux thing...I was thinking of getting "Squatch" outta rehab, cleaning him up, and dressing him up in tails as the mascot.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

All of those logos on the first page look so awesome I have a hard time picking just one I like the most.

My goal is to make it as tough as possible to pick a favourite, neo...in a good way of course :lol:

Okay...moving on...

The Seattle Sawbucks

Many of you will have seen this concept before. A while ago I did up a Portland Sawbucks concept. Someone visiting the thread mentioned that it would also suit Seattle...so here we are. 

A sawbuck is a structure made from planks to hold logs while cutting them. It's also slang for an American $10 bill. To me it also sounded like a logging/local fauna term, so I ran with that. There are no antlered entities in the NHL... Seattle has a forestry heritage, so I blended stag and saw symbols together for the logos...

n9sOAaT.jpg

I have often thought that plaid is a natural fit with hockey, and what city, with its grunge and logging history would rock a plaid-inspired uni better than Seattle?

GGf3TRl.jpg

I took basic sweater stripe patterns and overlapped them to give a plaid vibe...

yhRUG7r.jpg

It's simple but unique. It works well with green (you need 3 shades to make it work).

So, there ya go...logging, deer antlers, and plaid all wrapped up in one concept...

XorlOTY.jpg

Man, that is a good looking identity. The plaid is definitely unique to them, and the logos are really good looking. I'm just not sure that name would fly in the NHL. Seems a little minor league-ish. Something just like "Bucks" would probably be better. Not saying it's bad, but y'know. Nice job, as always.

Man that buck logo is something special, never seen negative space used so well in a sports logo, major kudos there. I really appreciate the use of plaid here, that's really the only way it could be implemented without being tacky and you absolutely nailed it. I notice you used two different shoulder patches on the flat and 3d templates, and I prefer the S saw blade, it fits better and I rarely like shoulder patches with words. I like the logo itself, but as a wordmark. Overall, this kicks serious butt and is my very early favorite based on the thumbnails alone. Great job again, Sparky!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Thanks for the responses NoE38, Bruins, and Zeus...Bruins, why is it that I get the urge to punch your avatar ;) (I'm a Leafs fan).

Zeus, the name would probably get shortened to "Bucks" anyway, and there's that subtle reference to Seattle's most popular export.

Anyway, made a small change...There was a bit too much outlining around the antlers, which made them look bulky, so I removed it...

IQuGB0q.jpg

I borrowed a page from the Ottawa RedBlacks playbook. I'm not fussy about their name, but I like the saw logo, and I like how they've made a red-black plaid part of their look.

JmoO0Eh.jpg

Seattle could do the same with a green-dark green tartan...

XgM5LGu.jpg

Up next...The Seattle Pilots...

Fantastic as always. I kinda agree with Zeus, it does sound a little Minor League-y but the brand identity itself is fabulous. The same logo and branding could be used with a name change of the Seattle Stags or something like that. But at the same time, touching on Seattle’s logging history in the name is a big draw.

7 hours ago, Midwest_surfer said:

Fantastic as always. I kinda agree with Zeus, it does sound a little Minor League-y but the brand identity itself is fabulous. The same logo and branding could be used with a name change of the Seattle Stags or something like that. But at the same time, touching on Seattle’s logging history in the name is a big draw.

"Seattle Stags" could definitely work. In fact, you could keep the same logo as the name has a (obscure) reference to logging. In the old days, loggers would shorten their climbing gear (stags) to reduce the chance of their clothing getting caught in their spurs when scaling a tree. From the same article, a "Buck" is a logger who cuts fallen trees into logs.

On 2018-02-06 at 11:47 AM, Whittier S said:

Marketing idea...
Metropolitans + art deco = the 1920s movie Metropolis? Think Janelle Monáe's The ArchAndroid, amongst many examples of inspiration.

Good examples of that style, Whittier...I had to look up Janelle Monae, but I saw "Metropolis" after seeing the movie clips in Queen's "Radio-Ga-Ga"...classic stuff!

The Seattle Pilots

I believe that this name has some Seattle history (an old baseball team?). Anyway, "Pilots" seems to have a lot of backing as a name. A while back I did a vintage "Aces" aviation theme for Las Vegas...

Hyy5Kki.jpg

My favourite uni from that concept was the above-pictured brown option...It had a leather-bomber-jacket vibe to it. So, I thought..."Why not Brown?"...

I liked the vintage-era feel, so I used some old-time pilot references for the logos, including the U.S. Air Force logo...

9xzmg5W.jpg

UguBr6M.jpg

liKgrtv.jpg

For the primary...I combined the star and stripes from the Air Force logo, the letter "S", and a hockey stick...

eX0IpVR.jpg

Now... after posting this I have to say that I like the single-colour "S" better than the full colour version, so I think that I'll reduce the number of outlines in the primary.

I went with a brown, black and vintage-white colour scheme on the uniforms...

xXC8DNk.jpg

Archived