Return of the Whale Imminent

Mac the Knife

In a broad-ranging radio interview yesterday, new Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon (I think I'm getting that name right) stated unequivocally that unlike under the team's Karmanos ownership era, the team would fully embrace its past history as the Hartford Whalers, including but not limited to wearing retro uniforms from time to time on throwback nights.  And as if to punctuate the point, at a home game last night, during a break in the action the PA system blared "Brass Bonanza," the Whalers old theme song.

nav-logo.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Breaking out Brass Bonanza at a Hurricanes game doesn't make things better for anyone.

I was wondering what people would think of that.  I think most fans, when their team moves want the whole thing re-branded.  I am glad the Dallas Stars still try to be a continuation of the North Stars (and would have kept the name if North Stars made sense in Texas).  But for some reason, playing Brass Bonanza bugs me.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, Mac the Knife said:

In a broad-ranging radio interview yesterday, new Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon (I think I'm getting that name right) stated unequivocally that unlike under the team's Karmanos ownership era, the team would fully embrace its past history as the Hartford Whalers, including but not limited to wearing retro uniforms from time to time on throwback nights.  And as if to punctuate the point, at a home game last night, during a break in the action the PA system blared "Brass Bonanza," the Whalers old theme song.

Actually, playing "Brass Bonanza" during stoppages has already been done from time to time at Canes games for years now...usually while they show different folks in the crowd wearing Whalers jerseys on the video board.

42 minutes ago, charger77 said:

Rebranding in the works?

Seems like the Hurricanes' and Whalers' brands are so different that it'd be tough to rebrand while also connecting to Hartford.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Seems like the Hurricanes' and Whalers' brands are so different that it'd be tough to rebrand while also connecting to Hartford.

That's why they should just move back to Hartford and make it easier. ;)

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I applaud the act of embracing a franchise's lineage.  Between this and the Winnipeg example, as well as the Devils' act of including the Colorado Rockies' logo in a recent commemorative patch, it is evident that the NHL has some clear thinkers, as opposed to the NBA goofballs who spit on history by allowing the Hornets disaster.

And, of course, the Whalers' logo as a logo is superb. So making some use of it in throwbacks would be good.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

47 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Unfortunately, you're probably right... would the Carolina Whalers be that difficult to pull off?

Seems like North Carolina did have a Whaling industry.

Regardless... I do want a Gordie Howe Whalers jersey... not sure if it will be NHL or WHA though.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Hopefully this spurs more teams to have throwback nights. The Ducks should have made their throwback night an annual thing, because the Mighty Ducks jerseys looked gorgeous in the Reebok Edge cut, and the Devils' and Coyotes' throwbacks both looked great. Also, while I personally don't care for them, I know the Flames' throwback alts are very popular.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Looks like people are figuring out that the Hurricanes brand is not popular around Carolina and that no one really cares about the team. To the point that the Whalers have more impact in hockey community than them, after 20 years not existing.

Just move the team somewhere else I would say.

Do it one night a season like the Devils do with their throwbacks. You can even alternate between the Pucky era and the navy era.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ok. We’ve already jumped the track. 

Please keep the discussion focused on the Carolina Hurricanes using Hartford Whalers throwbacks. 

Discussions about the immorality of whaling, the intelligence of various animals, and whether or not it’s a good idea to name a team after pirates can all be had in the General Discussion subforum. 

logo.png?decache=636507576807970000

This is the funniest logo in sports history. It's a whale and then they put an "ers" after it so you know they're not the Whales - they're the guys who kill whales. It's too bad the ers never showed up on the team's jerseys. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think using the Whalers as an occasional throwback or flat-out alt would be a lot of fun, but a rebrand?  I don't really know.  The Hurricanes are something of a vestigial brand themselves, but I'd be in more of a camp supporting a Hurricanes rebranding than a Whalers overhaul.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

8 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I think using the Whalers as an occasional throwback or flat-out alt would be a lot of fun, but a rebrand?  I don't really know.  The Hurricanes are something of a vestigial brand themselves, but I'd be in more of a camp supporting a Hurricanes rebranding than a Whalers overhaul.  

To be clear, Dundon is not talking about a retconning/rebranding.  Just paying the occasional homage to the team's Hartford history.

Personally, I actually would like to see a rebranding, ditching the "Carolina" moniker for "Raleigh."  Thanks to the Panthers you'd be amazed how many people presume the Hurricanes play in Charlotte.

nav-logo.png

Archived