American Volleyball Associaton - Los Angeles

Sport

Denver Miners

Two things. 1. I love me some alliteration and Denver Diggers was sitting right there, which would've been perfect for a volleyball team, but the closeness in sound and rhyme to another word felt problematic so the team changed it to Miners to avoid inviting such a comparison. Miners works really well in its own right I think. 

2. Plagiarized myself and repurposed my Rockies logo. The only thing that's the same are the mountains. The original intent with the Rockies logo way back when I made it was to conjure ideas of a craft beer label. Same thing here. Secondary logos I believe are pretty self-explanatory. 

5Xz4FD2.png

evcK90G.png

LWMKx7q.png

Let me know what you think!

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Digging (pun intended) on the Denver stuff there...great use of the state colors...as a Coloradoan that and the state flag are a favorite of mine. That being said, I think using the standard state flag with the C and the Miners crossed shovel and pickaxe over the volleyball would be better.

Dynamite would have also been a viable name for a mining theme.

Those are really solid. As another Coloradoan, I gotta say these are sweet. I just gotta ask, though, how come the 'D's on the two flag secondary logos are different? One's got a blue outline with a pickaxe and a shovel, the other one's got only a ball with no outline.

5 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Those are really solid. As another Coloradoan, I gotta say these are sweet. I just gotta ask, though, how come the 'D's on the two flag secondary logos are different? One's got a blue outline with a pickaxe and a shovel, the other one's got only a ball with no outline.

Thanks and Good question. I felt like it didn't need the pick axe and shovel because it's already waving on a pickaxe and thought that could be redundant to include it on the flag as well. Also lost those small details in the flag because with the wave and its size I still wanted it to read and it would've been a lot going on for that little space. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm loving the idea behind this, but I have a question.....

Why are the Libero uniforms so drastically different? The high school I work at, the Libero wears either white, orange or black to contrast with the team, but thats it.

Maybe use one of the tertiary colors of the team as the Libero uniform? Say white for Sacramento or pink for Miami. They need to stand out, but standing out doesn't mean drastic color changes like in soccer. It also keeps the team branding intact, as an all-white Miami doesn't have a random spot of blue, when it could be pink or black, which matches the striping on the white uniforms and the court colors at home.

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

I'm loving the idea behind this, but I have a question.....

Why are the Libero uniforms so drastically different? The high school I work at, the Libero wears either white, orange or black to contrast with the team, but thats it.

I was waiting for someone to ask about this. I know that the libero normally just wears a basic inverse of what everyone else wears. Making them wildly different like a soccer keeper was very much a conscious choice. Here's why:

1. It's a hypothetical pro league which means they'll sell jerseys which means the more colors they have the more choices fans will have to buy.

2. More color looks better on tv.

3. The libero is usually a smaller player, scrappy, defensive minded. They're fan favorites so I wanted them to stand out more than just a reversed jersey of everyone else. 

Hope that makes sense. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I was waiting for someone to ask about this. I know that the libero normally just wears a basic inverse of what everyone else wears. Making them wildly different like a soccer keeper was very much a conscious choice. Here's why:

1. It's a hypothetical pro league which means they'll sell jerseys which means the more colors they have the more choices fans will have to buy.

2. More color looks better on tv.

3. The libero is usually a smaller player, scrappy, defensive minded. They're fan favorites so I wanted them to stand out more than just a reversed jersey of everyone else. 

Hope that makes sense. 

I get it, don't exactly like it, but I get it.

Maybe do one in a team color and one in a.... city color? for lack of better term. An example would be, using Denver as the subject, a white primary kit, and an orange secondary kit to rep the Broncos, or a Nugget blue one. Plus you could use the 'city' jersey to drive jersey sales by changing it every year if you wanted, which fits with your 1st point.

Just my two cents, but regardless, great ideas with your concepts, love seeing them.

For many of these teams, there are colors being introduced in alternates that don't really fit with the identities. Miami's blue and ?gold? and Sacramento's green and orange really stick out, though all of your alternates (liberos) are out of palette. i would (even though I can tell you're trying to stay away from it) introduce white as a color, but for some (such as Miami/pink or black, NO/light blue, Denver/red), there are colors already in the palette that would fit perfectly into the set (especially Miami in black).

tinysig.jpg

11 hours ago, Jake3.roo said:

For many of these teams, there are colors being introduced in alternates that don't really fit with the identities. Miami's blue and ?gold? and Sacramento's green and orange really stick out, though all of your alternates (liberos) are out of palette. i would (even though I can tell you're trying to stay away from it) introduce white as a color, but for some (such as Miami/pink or black, NO/light blue, Denver/red), there are colors already in the palette that would fit perfectly into the set (especially Miami in black).

They're not alternates. The different colors are the jersey the player designated as the libero wears in a given match. The rest of the team will wear one of their 2 uniforms for most matches and will switch to their clash kit if their opponent is wearing the same color. Same system as soccer pretty much. The libero is a player that can sub in and out without using a substitution and has to wear a contrasting color jersey so the officials know who's who. As I explained above I chose to make the libero unis a wildly different color for a bunch of different reasons. 

It's essentially like a soccer keeper wearing a color different from their teammates. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Loving the Miners entire brand. The primary logo looks great and the secondaries perfectly work off the primary. My one critique would be to just have the mountains on every jersey. There are a few benefits to this: 1. it gives the brand an iconic consistency and 2. when you "expand" the AVA, you can save that striped design for another team. Overall, I love all of the team so far and the courts look great as well.

16 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Thanks and Good question. I felt like it didn't need the pick axe and shovel because it's already waving on a pickaxe and thought that could be redundant to include it on the flag as well. Also lost those small details in the flag because with the wave and its size I still wanted it to read and it would've been a lot going on for that little space. 

I get that. I just think for consistency's sake it'd look better with the outline and axes. Is there any chance we could see a version of it with the outline and axes?

1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

I get that. I just think for consistency's sake it'd look better with the outline and axes. Is there any chance we could see a version of it with the outline and axes?

I don't hate it. It plays better at large sizes, obviously, but when shrunk down like on a hat or something I don't know how well it'd work. 

Nt3OjW5.png

Idea fully taken from my avatar, BTW. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I don't hate it. It plays better at large sizes, obviously, but when shrunk down like on a hat or something I don't know how well it'd work. 

Nt3OjW5.png

Idea fully taken from my avatar, BTW. 

I think a compromise would be best, maybe scrap the pick and shovel, but keep the outline of the ball.

Archived