MLB City Edition Series by Pinch Designer (Yankees 30/30)

Carolingian Steamroller

Greetings!

This is the product of a collaboration among @Carolingian Steamroller, @Paul Lucas, @coco1997, @Victormrey, and @MJD7. We are calling our little group "Pinch Designer." We were looking for idea for a project that we could pool our collective minds on and found it in an MLB City Edition.

With the NBA and Nike debuting City Edition uniforms that are designed to reflect the particular spirit and aesthetic of their individual cities we thought that applying the same principle to baseball would yield interesting and colorful results. So we held a draft for divide up Major League Baseball and got cracking on designs. Each uniform in this series seeks to reflect some aspect of the city as a fun digression from the normal MLB rhythm. 

So without any further ado, I present the Milwaukee Brewers:

Milwaukee has tried to redesign it's city flag over the years and recently a designer came out with a "People's Flag of Milwaukee" composed of four colors navy blue, sky blue, gold, and white. For the uniform, we've incorporated the clunky font from the Milwaukee Bucks current uniforms, on a lager gold uniform,  with design elements of gears and barley sheaves. Enjoy!

ANBf0PM.png

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Greetings!

This is the product of a collaboration among @Carolingian Steamroller, @Paul Lucas, @coco1997, @Victormrey, and @MJD7. We are calling our little group "Pinch Designer." We were looking for idea for a project that we could pool our collective minds on and found it in an MLB City Edition.

With the NBA and Nike debuting City Edition uniforms that are designed to reflect the particular spirit and aesthetic of their individual cities we thought that applying the same principle to baseball would yield interesting and colorful results. So we held a draft for divide up Major League Baseball and got cracking on designs. Each uniform in this series seeks to reflect some aspect of the city as a fun digression from the normal MLB rhythm. 

So without any further ado, I present the Milwaukee Brewers:

Milwaukee has tried to redesign it's city flag over the years and recently a designer came out with a "People's Flag of Milwaukee" composed of four colors navy blue, sky blue, gold, and white. For the uniform, we've incorporated the clunky font from the Milwaukee Bucks current uniforms, on a lager gold uniform,  with design elements of gears and barley sheaves. Enjoy!

ANBf0PM.png

Great start!  But I do have a couple suggestions... What if you used the Brewers real road wordmark and numbers, and used the sock stripe on the sleeves and collar?

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

Next we have the New York Mets:

8Uh7RB9.png

The Mets embrace their city's "Big Apple" moniker with a throwback New York Knicks-esque logo, while the racing stripes that run down the length of the uniform represent the three colors of the New York City flag. The powder blue base is inspired by this unused prototype jersey from the '80s. 

Today's design is the Orioles. 

Everyone knows the Maryland flag but the Baltimore flag is interesting in its own right. The vertical stripes are offset on a diagonal which creates a slash. For the Orioles we took that concept, translated it into Oriole colors and used to house the diagonal "Baltimore" script that has been on the road uniforms for a few years. The sleeves stay white as a way of adding some non-striped negative space. The sleeve patch is the crest from the center of the flag and the cap uses the captial "B" from the jersey. 

cYSKdu2.png

From Maryland to Florida, time for the Magic City.

At first, I didn’t know how to approach Miami. My initial idea was to use the Vice theme, but since the Heats already went for that path, I wanted to try something different.

In the end, I went for a design inspired by the Art Deco District, using beige as main colour, and pastel hues of teal and pink. Also, I decided to add a subtle striped pattern based on the same architectural style.

oKFj2I3.png

Hey everyone, I'm happy to be a part of this series, coming to you today with the Minnesota Twins.

With this being a City Edition Series, that naturally sets up a predicament for the Twin Cities of Minnesota. To reflect this sort of contrast between the two cities, I split the jersey into two different colors, with the red representing Minneapolis, and the navy representing St. Paul. The logos come from Minnie and Paul’s jerseys in the Twins’ famous logo. The light blue running through both sides represents the Mississippi River, and how it ultimately unites the two very different cities as they support one team. Thanks for following!

jwHZgfn.png

26 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Hey everyone, I'm happy to be a part of this series, coming to you today with the Minnesota Twins.

With this being a City Edition Series, that naturally sets up a predicament for the Twin Cities of Minnesota. To reflect this sort of contrast between the two cities, I split the jersey into two different colors, with the red representing Minneapolis, and the navy representing St. Paul. The logos come from Minnie and Paul’s jerseys in the Twins’ famous logo. The light blue running through both sides represents the Mississippi River, and how it ultimately unites the two very different cities as they support one team. Thanks for following!

nHY5gx7.png

That's an interesting take. As a Minnesotan I never thought about how we don't really have a city identity. This probably is the best way to do it without saying "f*** it, I'll just do the state". Really well executed. The only thing I would change is the buttons to either red or light blue

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

6 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

That's an interesting take. As a Minnesotan I never thought about how we don't really have a city identity. This probably is the best way to do it without saying "f*** it, I'll just do the state". Really well executed. The only thing I would change is the buttons to either red or light blue

Thanks! I'm not really sure what I would've done if I just went with Minnesota, that would've been an interesting route to take too.

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Is it possible to make the back numbers larger on the Twins?

Yep, I updated the post above.

Today we get the White Sox. 

Red and black are used as team colors to celebrate the long history of that scheme to both the White Sox and Chicago residents the Bulls and Blackhawks. The dark jersey with contrasting pinstripes is a combination of the Chicago American Giants (who also played in Sox Park) with the famous 1996 Bulls alternates that every kid in Chicago fell immediately in love with when they debuted. The theme continues with a three stripe belt with the pattern repeating on the stirrups. The sleeve patch and cap logo use the 1936 S-o-x overlaid over the crossed-socks "W" logo creating a W-S monogram. For the jersey, I've incorporated the script from White Sox ambassador Chance the Rapper's Social Experiment which was used in cross promotional caps in 2016. "South Side" is used as the moniker.

AEwofBA.png

Next we have the Oakland A's.

From @Paul Lucas: The Athletics must’ve known they were going to Oakland when they changed to their iconic color scheme in 1963 because they ended up looking like the Oakland city flag. This concept makes almost too much sense for them. It’s an idea so good, I can’t believe no one’s thought of it before. The A’s are all about “the Town” in this one; even the cap was changed to pay homage to the Oakland Oaks, while the sleeves honor “the Swingin’ A’s”  in a more modern application

La6rxyb.png

Today we move a bit south with the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Bums' uniforms evoke the nearby Lakers' Hollywood Nights alternate with a sleek black jersey featuring T-bars and sky blue accents as well as sock stripes that pay tribute to the team's history in Brooklyn. The Dodgers are also one of only a select few teams in the series to not use their city name on their jersey, as the iconic "Dodgers" script is as synonymous with L.A. as The Beach Boys and LAX. 

yLgYk0q.png

There is a subtle feature that really adds to the design and its the powder blue cleats. To make a BFBS uniform look good, there needs to be a palate cleanser. Like drinking a nice pinot grigio with a plate of squid ink pasta. The blue cleats do exactly that by keeping some balance between the black jersey and the blue scripts. 

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

There is a subtle feature that really adds to the design and its the powder blue cleats. To make a BFBS uniform look good, there needs to be a palate cleanser. Like drinking a nice pinot grigio with a plate of squid ink pasta. The blue cleats do exactly that by keeping some balance between the black jersey and the blue scripts. 

Well said! I agree that it really ties the whole design together. 

Archived