Barack and Michelle Obama's Official Portraits

DeFrank

2 hours ago, tp49 said:

I'm not a fan of either of them.  In Barack's the background is too busy and takes the focus away from him where I feel it should be, while Michelle's looks unfinished with no background to provide balance.  However, if the Obama's like them that's what matters.  They're art and whether art is good is a subjective analysis, everyone has their own opinion.

At least they're not the worst official portraits I've seen.  That honor goes to the portrait of Jerry Brown in the California State Capitol. 

Gubernatorial_portrait_of_Jerry_Brown.jpg

yikes.

add some make up and it looks like this:

Related image

so long and thanks for all the fish.

4 hours ago, CS85 said:

Just to be clear, these are "Official Portraits" for the Smithsonian.  These have nothing to do with the White House.  Those won't be out for another 6 months, if not longer.

Bill Clinton's Smithsonian portrait was pretty damned weird:

national-portrait-gallery.jpg

Compare that to Clinton's actual White House portrait:

William-Clinton.jpg

George W Bush's Smithsonian portrait was more subdued:

NPG_George_Bush.jpg

compared to the White House portrait:

o-PRESIDENT-GEORGE-W-BUSH-OFFICIAL-PORTR

I didn't pick up on this until I was listening to NPR this morning. It makes all the difference in the world.

4 hours ago, CS85 said:

Just to be clear, these are "Official Portraits" for the Smithsonian.  These have nothing to do with the White House.  Those won't be out for another 6 months, if not longer.

Bill Clinton's Smithsonian portrait was pretty damned weird:

national-portrait-gallery.jpg

And, not to turn this into an Art Appreciation lecture (although to be honest, I'm literally writing this after my Art Appreciation class just ended), the Clinton portrait is by the equally amazing Chuck Close.

CC19.jpg

chuck_close-lucas_2.jpg

2 hours ago, Bruins said:

Among Barack's portrait artist, Kehinde Wiley's other paintings are um... these for some reason.

MLuMIt2.png

That's.... well, we all know what it is...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Noticed a couple "It's Okay That Michelle Obama Doesn't Look Like Michelle Obama And That's Actually Good" thinkpieces in the wake of this because no one wants to say the black woman didn't do a good job painting Michelle Obama's face. One argument was "it's the face of all women, if you knew anything about her work you would understand that." Got me there, I guess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I saw the Kehinde Wiley exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum several months back and it was incredible. Obviously.

Barack's portrait is terrific. I don't really get Michelle's.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived