hettinger_rl

Baltimore Ravens Refresh: 2/16 - Idea for Alternate added

Recommended Posts

The Baltimore Ravens' logo has been in service since 1999. During that time they won the Super Bowl twice (2000,2012). Having that history tied to their current logo puts my concept at a disadvantage, but here it is:

c2.png 2vt8yfq.jpg

 

Undecided if I like the gold line/white beak or white line/gold beak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer the white/grey beak just because it's closest to an actual raven's black beak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not gonna lie, I don't like this a lot. The bird comes across as though it's got a mouth full of food, rather than being a fierce mascot for the team, like it's supposed to be. It looks more like a chicken than it does a raven to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whittier S said:

I prefer the white/grey beak just because it's closest to an actual raven's black beak.

I ended up choosing a light purple/grey and a shade of the same color. It still helps tie the beak to the bird's color.

1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

I'm not gonna lie, I don't like this a lot. The bird comes across as though it's got a mouth full of food, rather than being a fierce mascot for the team, like it's supposed to be. It looks more like a chicken than it does a raven to me.

Altered the highlights, angle, and opening of the beak. I think it helped the cheek area and the aggression.

 

2lvjo87.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having trouble articulating my thoughts so I apologize if this doesn't make sense.  The way you have cut off the rest of the body makes it seem as though the ravens actual head(skull) ends right after the cheek and the point coming out the back is a tuft of feathers.  I know your intent that the head(skull) goes the length of the logo but my brain isn't reading it that way.  I'm seeing a raven with a squished head and a tuft of feathers out the back.  I think if you lowered the line that connects to the back of the cheek to the middle of the cheek it would give the impression of a full head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It needs to have more of a neck and possibly even part of a wing. It's missing too much of what a mascot needs to be agressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It needs to have more of a neck and possibly even part of a wing. It's missing too much of what a mascot needs to be agressive. 

What he said.  hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Milkman14 said:

I am having trouble articulating my thoughts so I apologize if this doesn't make sense.  The way you have cut off the rest of the body makes it seem as though the ravens actual head(skull) ends right after the cheek and the point coming out the back is a tuft of feathers.  I know your intent that the head(skull) goes the length of the logo but my brain isn't reading it that way.  I'm seeing a raven with a squished head and a tuft of feathers out the back.  I think if you lowered the line that connects to the back of the cheek to the middle of the cheek it would give the impression of a full head.

 

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It needs to have more of a neck and possibly even part of a wing. It's missing too much of what a mascot needs to be agressive. 

Ok here is an alternate idea:

242ft6d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's much better. I don't think that you're showing enough connection between the top of the head and the bottom. The way it curves makes me feel like something is missing.  I honestly don't think the Ravens need much of a change, and I believe this takes it way too far. The current logo is pretty good, and really only needs to get a little simpler and lose the "B".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

 

Ok here is an alternate idea:

242ft6d.jpg

 

That's much better. Maybe developing a full-body logo would help establish a more fierce and whole brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full sized bird would look amazing, maybe treading a little bit into eagles territory but not if you do it right, major improvement in latest update, keep working at it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love love love the new version except that I worry about the number of colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Whittier S said:

I love love love the new version except that I worry about the number of colors.

I had the same concern, so many tints and shades of purple/plum when you factor in the beak. Here is a version that uses the main colors from the bird in the beak:

i4g4nm.jpg 10s7ywn.jpg

I used a lighter purple for the highlight and carried that color scale down the other shades. I also tried taking black out of the logo because I think that it would have more punch on a black or flat black helmet. For similar reasons I brightened the gold a bit. Finally the shape has been slightly shortened.

i3wfig.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now