Old School Fool

Interesting Field Designs

Recommended Posts

On 2/16/2018 at 7:01 AM, Old School Fool said:

The Patriots decided to get weird in 1981:

 

NE_1981%5E2.png

 

 

 

I couldn't find pictures (and I really, really tried), put the Patriots used to put the team name (not the actual/official wordmark, if memory serves me) behind the endzones at Schaefer Stadium in the late 70s.  That still may have been the case in 1981.


EDIT:  You can see it at the 1:57, 7:47 and 9:10 marks of this video.

 

SECOND EDIT:  I've never noticed this before, but Joe Washington is wearing a different helmet at the end of the game than at the beginning.  He went from an old school double bar mask to a 70s-80s style RB mask.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I believe it’s actually an artificial surface as of an upgrade a few years ago.

It's still natural grass. When Kurt Busch won the 500 last year, the nose of the car tore some of the grass up during his celebration, and a chunk landed on the hood. It stayed on there during the Victory Lane ceremonies and after they wheeled it into the permanent display at Daytona USA. I even remember track officials saying that they were trying to put together a plan to keep the grass maintained on the hood throughout the year it would be displayed in the museum (until it was removed last night, that is), but I never heard if they actually followed through with that.

C5xMdXnU4AAWHpE.jpg

 

In this article about this year's infield design, they talk about the different types of grass they use to get the two-tone look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

And I can't find it, but I swear after baseball season ended at Riverfront Stadium, that there were games where it was just stripes. No words. But everything i find is more recent with BENGALS written across the stripes. Anyone know if I'm just misremembering or if the Bengals really did have patterened endzones with no writing at one point at Riverfront?

 

YouTube videos show one end zone having "Cincinnati" and the other having "Bengals" from 97-99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2018 at 11:03 AM, leopard88 said:

The Twins always had a marked circle around home plate and paths to the dugouts during their days at Metropolitan Stadium.  I don't remember seeing anything like that anywhere else.

 

Handy arrows in case you got lost on your way to the batter's box.  :P

 

Met-Stadium-28.pngmet10951.jpg

No walkways with arrows, but Virginia has a similarly enormous home-plate halo:

100_5497.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2018 at 9:31 PM, Lights Out said:

rzbOwTf.gif

 

I wish that design carried over to University of Phoenix Stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, leopard88 said:

 

I couldn't find pictures (and I really, really tried), put the Patriots used to put the team name (not the actual/official wordmark, if memory serves me) behind the endzones at Schaefer Stadium in the late 70s.  That still may have been the case in 1981.


EDIT:  You can see it at the 1:57, 7:47 and 9:10 marks of this video.

 

SECOND EDIT:  I've never noticed this before, but Joe Washington is wearing a different helmet at the end of the game than at the beginning.  He went from an old school double bar mask to a 70s-80s style RB mask.

 

 

Good call:

raM1wbg.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

The only time I recall just striped end zones was the early years of Paul Brown Stadium 

 

paul_brown_stadium_image_1.jpg?h=600&la=

 

Yeah, that was back before the infamous frozen field game they needed orange lines painted over the ice that they finally switched to turf.

 

However, I swear I remember the regular orange/black stripes like shown at Riverfront (and now at PBS) but sometimes lacking any writing across them. Since it was only after baseball season, only a few games a year got the stripes. So I'm thinking there wasn't a consistent year-to-year design used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

However, I swear I remember the regular orange/black stripes like shown at Riverfront (and now at PBS) but sometimes lacking any writing across them. Since it was only after baseball season, only a few games a year got the stripes. So I'm thinking there wasn't a consistent year-to-year design used.

 

It was pretty consistent at Riverfront .No markings in the endzone through 1996(even as late as Week 17 in 1996), and then from 1997-99 it was stripes with Cincinnati and Bengals in the end zones.  YouTube videos of Bengals games (especially NFL Primetime shows) are more accurate than memories for stuff like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a shot from the 1999 AFC Championship game. In addition to this, they had the regular AFC Championship logo on the 30 yard lines which is overdoing it.

 

r2oCE9x.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will, of course, overlook the minor detail that that game took place in 2000 . . . since the NFL wants us to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good lord, that logo is 17 yards long. That has to be a record for the largest midfield logo, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Matito said:

Good lord, that logo is 17 yards long. That has to be a record for the largest midfield logo, right?

 

This one is pretty close . . . in the NFL category (at least in length).

 

 Cpna2J3UMAE1BLm.jpg

 

There's no contest if we add college teams . . . again, at least as to length.

 

ncsuecumidfield.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the 49ers had a 15 yard logo at Candlestick

49ers-football-game-candlestick-park-san

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming the drawing is accurate, the Patriots field in the original post had an 18 yard long logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

 

This one is pretty close . . . in the NFL category (at least in length).

 

 Cpna2J3UMAE1BLm.jpg

 

There's no contest if we add college teams . . . again, at least as to length.

 

ncsuecumidfield.jpg

I personally like the larger midfield logos.  Which is why I enjoy seeing bowl game fields.  I also like large center court logos, but not ones that take up the entire court.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yac12 said:

I personally like the larger midfield logos.  Which is why I enjoy seeing bowl game fields.  I also like large center court logos, but not ones that take up the entire court.  

The Aloha and Oahu Bowls were awesome because they were covering up all the Univ. of Hawaii logos. Too bad Boise state can't do the same for the Potato Bowl. 

Image result for aloha bowl field logo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now