2018 MLB ASG Cap Concept

thespungo

2018+ASG-Wash_ad-11.jpg?format=1200w

I absolutely loved what New Era started in Minnesota at the 2014 MLB All Star Game by designing special All Star caps that honored the host team. The potential was set up for new caps every year on All Star night to tell a different story about a host team's uniform history or local culture, while also allowing the game a rare chance to have some fun and get creative with their usually sacrosanct brands -- not to mention increasing merchandise sales in the process. Unfortunately, that was a trend that only lasted two seasons.

So in an effort to show what could have been, each season I take it upon myself to continue what New Era once started and design my own city-centric concept caps for the MLB All Star Game. For the 2018 ASG in Washington D.C., I dipped into the city's baseball past to help inspire the cap design, while also taking cues from that time period and D.C.'s world-famous cherry blossoms to create a campaign that celebrates the nation's capital as well as the national pastime. 

2018+ASG-Wash_collection.jpg?format=1500

2018+ASG-Wash_Spell-This+is+the+cap.jpg?

2018+ASG+Wash_blossoms_LAD.jpg?format=10

2018+ASG+Wash_blossoms_ATL.jpg?format=10

2018+ASG+Wash_blossoms_HOU.jpg?format=10

To view the entire cap collection along with additional merchandise, plus a look inside the design process and inspiration, visit my website.

Wow, I love the execution of this wonderful idea, and all the extra stuff on the website with the cherry blossoms really puts this over the edge as a great brand. 

I like the idea behind the caps, the only thing I would say is that it seems a little odd just how big the letters are, and that Atlanta is the only one with a contrasting brim. I would have either taken that design liberty with other teams too, or not used it at all.

Still, I love the thought process behind this! Great job!

38 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Wow, I love the execution of this wonderful idea, and all the extra stuff on the website with the cherry blossoms really puts this over the edge as a great brand. 

I like the idea behind the caps, the only thing I would say is that it seems a little odd just how big the letters are, and that Atlanta is the only one with a contrasting brim. I would have either taken that design liberty with other teams too, or not used it at all.

Still, I love the thought process behind this! Great job!

That’s a really great catch on the Atlanta cap — good eye and good bit of feedback. I struggled with that one cap sticking out, because I really did want to faithfully stick to the design of the original Senators cap — one-color hat with matching letter and squatchee.

I tried it both ways, and in the end decided to have Atlanta be the sole outlier because their red-brimmed navy hat is just so iconic that I worried a white A on an all-navy cap would not feel like a Braves hat upon first look.

Appreciate your kind words, as well as the feedback!

Those are some slick looking caps, and the presentation is gorgeous. However, I think they're a little too general, and not specific enough to any one team.

The presentation is phenomenal, and I can't say that enough. It's really professional.

2 hours ago, thespungo said:

2018+ASG-Wash_ad-11.jpg?format=1200w

I absolutely loved what New Era started in Minnesota at the 2014 MLB All Star Game by designing special All Star caps that honored the host team. The potential was set up for new caps every year on All Star night to tell a different story about a host team's uniform history or local culture, while also allowing the game a rare chance to have some fun and get creative with their usually sacrosanct brands -- not to mention increasing merchandise sales in the process. Unfortunately, that was a trend that only lasted two seasons.

So in an effort to show what could have been, each season I take it upon myself to continue what New Era once started and design my own city-centric concept caps for the MLB All Star Game. For the 2018 ASG in Washington D.C., I dipped into the city's baseball past to help inspire the cap design, while also taking cues from that time period and D.C.'s world-famous cherry blossoms to create a campaign that celebrates the nation's capital as well as the national pastime. 

2018+ASG-Wash_collection.jpg?format=1500

2018+ASG-Wash_Spell-This+is+the+cap.jpg?

2018+ASG+Wash_blossoms_LAD.jpg?format=10

2018+ASG+Wash_blossoms_ATL.jpg?format=10

2018+ASG+Wash_blossoms_HOU.jpg?format=10

To view the entire cap collection along with additional merchandise, plus a look inside the design process and inspiration, visit my website.

I make jerseys and caps for the OOTP Baseball sim game (ootpdevelopments.com/board) would you mind if I used this concept?  Proper credit would be given.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

Oh, yes Lord.

So so slick, great execution, and a phenomenal way to tie together DC, a bit of a nod to the simpler design days of yore, and also the whole meta-hipster style. These would sell like hotcakes, and I'd be first in line. Two thumbs up.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

1 hour ago, Flames1fan said:

cant you put donload link someone wheres, with a fax you wouldn't be able do anything with it.

If a guy doesn't want to give out a template he made, then he won't give it out. Also, asking with proper grammar helps.

I like the heavily simplified design of the caps, which is an excellent callback to the caps that inspired you. My only suggestion would be to separate the letters in the two-letter logos, with one on each front panel. Something like this:

NYB36C-2_large.jpg?v=1515110116

That way, it keeps the vintage character of the design and improves the clarity of the insignias.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:56 PM, SFGiants58 said:

If a guy doesn't want to give out a template he made, then he won't give it out. Also, asking with proper grammar helps.

I like the heavily simplified design of the caps, which is an excellent callback to the caps that inspired you. My only suggestion would be to separate the letters in the two-letter logos, with one on each front panel. Something like this:

NYB36C-2_large.jpg?v=1515110116

That way, it keeps the vintage character of the design and improves the clarity of the insignias.

Not really sure that fits with the time period I'm working in, here. Cool idea, though.

Love the concept! I assume that the lack of contrast brims are because the NL is home and don't have a lot of standard home caps with that style? Also leading to the all green Oakland cap instead of the green with gold and a white O. I'd definitely buy one or two of these

7 hours ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

Love the concept! I assume that the lack of contrast brims are because the NL is home and don't have a lot of standard home caps with that style? Also leading to the all green Oakland cap instead of the green with gold and a white O. I'd definitely buy one or two of these

Thanks! Yeah, that played a part in my decision. I ultimately decided to stay true to the Senators inspiration and do all the hats in the same exact style. Only the Braves hat deviates from that, I discussed why a little up the thread.

Archived