Minnesota Vikings Primary Logos

verno

So, I may be crazy, but does anyone else think all three Viking primaries are misaligned? I'll explain. Look at all three and it appears the facial profile is from the side, yet the helmet seems to be rotated about 30 degrees. Check the alignment of the horns on all three.

5 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

So, you're creating a concept??

Not necessarily, I like the Viking primary logo a lot! Just something that I have noticed.

42 minutes ago, JViking5 said:

It bothers me a lot actually. That misalignment was actually what inspired me to redesign their logo and check out this forum!

Where can I find your redesign?

12 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

its a realistic profile, which i think is the right approach with that style of illustration. if it were more abstract, like the Falcons logo, then i dont think it works as well

bull-head-black-and-white-byadbj.jpgWow

Wow, mind blown, all about your perspective!? Gonna grab another Guinness! Thanks Brandon.

I don't think this one picture ends the debate. If the cow's head was turned even a little bit, the horns would not line up. In the case of the logo, it is a perfect profile. The point of a logo is to simplify realistic elements, not perfectly replicate them. I still think it would make more sense to remove the back horn.

1 hour ago, JViking5 said:

I don't think this one picture ends the debate. If the cow's head was turned even a little bit, the horns would not line up. In the case of the logo, it is a perfect profile. The point of a logo is to simplify realistic elements, not perfectly replicate them. I still think it would make more sense to remove the back horn.

thats a style decision; the intent of the Vikings logo is more illustrative than iconic. i believe it works well for this logo and gives it depth and form that it would lack without the far side horn

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Isn’t it likely that an actual Viking helmet wouldn’t be perfectly symmetrical due to the primitive technology available at that time? Therefore, even if it was a perfect profile there’d still be a chance to see the other horn from the side?

I think the overall length and height of the horn lend themselves to needing some spacial assistance.. Making the horn slightly bolder and slightly shorter (both in length and height) would make it stand alone better without the back horn.. As it is now, the back horn is needed.. Although it's slightly too fast forward and perhaps a touch too tall as well.. But not by much

• 2 weeks later...

Archived