Pittsburgh Steeler Jersey Numbers

verno

Not sure if this is an existing topic, but it at least seems to be a secondary mention. Do you prefer the current Steeler jersey numbers or the old block numbers? As a lifelong Steeler fan, I love the modern Steelers jersey. Thoughts?

Especially given the history and blue collar vibe the Steelers have, it makes more sense to have a traditional block font. And it just looks better IMO.

BUT it's been so long now that when I look at a throwback Steelers jersey with block numbers, my mind goes to the Iowa Hawkeyes first, which is funny.

I can agree with that. I just love the flow of the modern Steeler uniform. The block numbers seem a little cluncky with the modern look. And the rounded numerals are a great reflection of the long time helmet numerals. Not to sound biased, but I also believe the Steelers have the league's best uniforms.

I like both.

I think it also separates the two dominant eras well and gives them a personality of their own. Sure the '96 Super Bowl team wore block, but they didn't win it in them.  

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

They would be more acceptable to me if they weren't italicized. The old notion that the jersey number are supposed to remind you of the helmet numbers is pretty much destroyed by the italics.  Plus, Rothlisburger wears seven, which is especially goofy looking in the italics, and that's the jersey you see most often.

USATSI_9084542.jpg

If the idea was that it would look better if the jersey numbers and helmet numbers were the same, it would've been much smarter to change the helmet numbers.

• slapshot changed the title to Pittsburgh Steeler Jersey Numbers

I love the juxtaposition of the modern rounded italicized numbers against the traditional sleeve stripes. The single color makes them strong, while the curves make them sexy. It’s a good look. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The juxtaposition of a modern font and traditional uniform compliment each other well. The font isn't too modern like the Jags font to clash with the jersey. I do wish, however, that the numerals weren't italicized and also weren't a standard font. It's Futura Condensed Medium Italic plain and simple. That's an okay place to start, but customize it a little bit and make it your own. I think the Georgia Bulldogs are a great example of that.  They took something like Bebas and made it their own without going over the top. 

georgia-bulldogs.jpg

10 hours ago, OaklandIsBack said:

Single digit helmet numbers in the stripe (like above) or to the right of the stripe?

To the right, for consistency.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

For me, new-school.  Why must they stick to the block?  They very likely will never change anything else, so that was the one final tweak they could do.

Someone earmark this thread for when Nike comes out with some weird kind of "STEEL CITY BRUH" font with like stenciled italicized block numerals or something. :lol: 

Honestly, the look has grown on me. Despite the block font fitting more of the "Pittsburgh" vibe, the italicized numbers add character to the uniform, without sacrificing a classic look. Maybe they could be a tad bolder, but they prevent the uniform from looking too much like the Hawkeyes (probably not the Steelers fault). Plus, I have lived through most of the italicized era, so I am more familiar with that look.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

51 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Centered, for consistency

Tastes great!!!!!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

20 hours ago, verno said:

Not to sound biased, but I also believe the Steelers have the league's best uniforms.

You're biased.  :)  

The missing logo on one side of the helmet is enough to disqualify them.  The home set is good enough, but the road set misses the mark with pants that match neither the helmet nor the jersey.  The sleeve stripes on the the modern jersey cuts are a mess, also.

I've always thought their jerseys and helmets garner more favorable opinions based on the franchise's success while wearing them.

5 minutes ago, Jungle Jim said:

I've always thought their jerseys and helmets garner more favorable opinions based on the franchise's success while wearing them.

That is indisputable.

Success can encase certain uniforms in amber.  Not that I'm complaining, it has saved the Packers from making what would undoubtedly have been a bunch of bad uniform decisions.

Archived