2018 MLB Season

FiddySicks

23 hours ago, LMU said:

GRITTY FAN-FAVORITE GUYS WHO REALLY SUCKED COME TO THINK OF IT

These guys were half the reason I despised the Angels for years. I grew up watching a style of playing based entirely around power - homer-happy, strikeout-heavy Yankee teams. (As you can guess, I love these 2018 Yankees.) Seeing all these "gritty" guys on the Angels who weren't any good become massively overrated irked me so much. David Eckstein (who was a solid but completely overrated player) has to be one of my least favorite players of all time - he just epitomized that 'gritty' white guy brand of small-ball that I couldn't stand. Always seemed like an annoying gnat that I just wanted to swat away. ?

That, and the fact that the Angels were the one team to have the Yankees' number in the late 90's/early 2000's. Ugh, did I ever hate those teams.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, kroywen said:

These guys were half the reason I despised the Angels for years. I grew up watching a style of playing based entirely around power - homer-happy, strikeout-heavy Yankee teams. (As you can guess, I love these 2018 Yankees.) Seeing all these "gritty" guys on the Angels who weren't any good become massively overrated irked me so much. David Eckstein (who was a solid but completely overrated player) has to be one of my least favorite players of all time - he just epitomized that 'gritty' white guy brand of small-ball that I couldn't stand. Always seemed like an annoying gnat that I just wanted to swat away. ?

That, and the fact that the Angels were the one team to have the Yankees' number in the late 90's/early 2000's. Ugh, did I ever hate those teams.

They were the 2010s Cardinals of their day, down to having a Molina as a catcher.

There's zero chance that Tampa stadium gets built, right? Nearly a billion dollars? For a market that has never shown up? With Miami in very recent memory? LOL Tampa.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

There's zero chance that Tampa stadium gets built, right? Nearly a billion dollars? For a market that has never shown up? With Miami in very recent memory? LOL Tampa.

Between the cost and the fact that the Rays are declining to say how much they'll actually pay to all those factors to the fact that the dumb thing will only have 28,200 seats...

Yeah, ain't happening.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Both Florida franchises need to go. Even possible relocation to 2 new markets seems a long ways off. 

No expansion until things are resolved with the Rays & A's. Marlins might be stuck in Miami forever.

And to think; everybody and their grandmother was rumored to be moving to Tampa Bay in the 80s (Rangers, White Sox, Giants).

Hindsight is 20/20; but maybe if they had a iffy already-made franchise instead of constructing one from the ground up and being the basement for not only the AL, but the entire MLB; Tampa Bay could've turned into a lucrative market.

But, a streaky team (who couldn't even generate support when they were winning and in the World Series), who started out as a complete laughingstock; was guaranteed to fail.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I am moderately convinced by the theories that moving the Rays to Tampa proper instead of the nowheresville they are now would be a shot in the arm for the franchise; the problem is, there's no way to do a cheap trial balloon for this sort of thing, so "worth a try" is a hell of a leap to make. I know it's hip to hate on Florida sports fans but Central Florida has proven to be a strong market for pro football, soccer and hockey ... I guess I just don't know if the logical next step from that is that baseball in Tampa would work when done correctly, or if it's that MLB needs to accept that it's no longer a geography-proof sport.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Tamp will be fine if you put a stadium people want to go to in a place that’s easy to get to. Their entire attendance struggle is due to those two factors. 

Miami on the other hand...

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't know...Tampa kind of sucks. Ybor City is cool and parts of St. Petersburg are all right, but the rest of Tampa is strip malls and highways and the worst of Florida. Plus it's so damn hot.

What does MLB gain from keeping the Rays in Tampa? I know there really aren't any other viable baseball markets (Mexico City?), but if the choice is moving/subtracting the team vs. spending a billion on a new stadium, that's really not a choice at all.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Considering the problems Stuart Symington and Slate Gorton raised over the K.C. A's and the Pilots, maybe they just don't want the United States Senate up their ass ever again.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, Wings said:

Hell in 2028 move Miami to Raleigh

Attendance be damned, I don't see the league moving a team from a world class city to a forth-rate city that mainly cares about college basketball.  Maybe if the Hurricanes get moved and the Ybor City stadium falls through they can move the Rays there.

Archived