2018 MLB Season

FiddySicks

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, LMU said:

The one thing I'd love to have Tnak around to explain:

If anybody here has a passing knowledge of coding, I'd like to see them make a bot that responds to topics in his style. We have News Bot, now let's get Tnak Bot! It'd cut out the politics part of his persona, so that's nice.

As for the topic of HFM disease, just make sure to wash up better when holding camps with kids. Channel your inner germaphobe in that regard.

5 hours ago, LMU said:

Beats "Flambe'd by a dragon."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is it true that the Brewers fans cheered the guy that made racist and anti-gay tweets but booed Machado just because he wasn’t traded there even though he had no say in it?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 hours ago, LMU said:

inCOMPetent!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is it true that the Brewers fans cheered the guy that made racist and anti-gay tweets but booed Machado just because he wasn’t traded there even though he had no say in it?

I didn't hear about Machado.  There's nothing better than fans booing players for things they have no control over.  

That standing-O for Hader was sad.  And was the social media discussion afterward.  You can mark me down as someone that did not want to destroy his life (even though I assume he's still a jackass) but what did he do to "earn" that standing-O?  Say the things most of those fans wish to say, is my best guess.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

41 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I didn't hear about Machado.  There's nothing better than fans booing players for things they have no control over.  

That standing-O for Hader was sad.  And was the social media discussion afterward.  You can mark me down as someone that did not want to destroy his life (even though I assume he's still a jackass) but what did he do to "earn" that standing-O?  Say the things most of those fans wish to say, is my best guess.

Everything has to be a culture war, now.

Never mind the fact that his presence in the uniform and playing, that day, seems to suggest that his life and career haven’t been destroyed.

Apparently the best way to fight outrage culture and SJWs is to *checks notes* tweet racial slurs?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

53 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

That’s my initial thought as well. A standing O would be for if someone came back from a crippling injury, or maybe even an unjust suspension. I also don’t think that dumb stuff from when you were a kid should brand you a racist forever and he should be judged based on current actions rather than past, but to get cheered for doing nothing is just gross. 

It’s like they’re cheering him just because most people were justifiably outraged at his comments and they’re standing with him... and those comments. 

Re: Machado - were they going to make a push for him in the offseason? They wouldn’t have a shot anyway, but booing him certainly wouldn’t help. Godsdamn idiots. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not really comfortable ascribing one motive to every applauding Brewers fan. I'm sure a lot of people applauded him for having been racist in the first place, while others applauded him for apologizing and now want to show their support in what they think is a tough time (this feels most likely to me: Milwaukee fans are kinda like St. Louis fans without the mean undercurrent), some because he was an All-Star, and then others did it because they were in a crowd and saw other people doing it. And more importantly, most fans didn't seem to be standing in the first place.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Rays place Blake Snell on the DL today, meaning that all 4 of the originally planned rotation (Snell, Archer, Faria, and Eovaldi) have spent time on the DL at some point this season.

Some how some way, since May the Rays have the one of the best team ERAs in the baseball, and have been piecemailing a staff together.

They're likely not going to the playoffs, but this Rays team is one of the most fun teams to watch than they've had in years.

I think it's safe to assume some of the fans were applauding the fact that teenage troll Josh Hader said racist things because most Brewers season ticket holders come from Walker-sha County.

But I think for the most part, the fans were taking cues from Hader's teammates and supporting him.  Even as a progressive, I can't totally disagree with the sentiment that the outrage directed at him was like aiming a nuclear missile at a mosquito.  It's not like until now, there were any stories that Josh Hader was even a d'bag, let alone a guy with racist or homophobic tendencies.  Unless he pulled a Riley Cooper in his adult life, it's hard to say his teenage edgelord tweets indicate some sort of behavioral pattern for him.

Granted, I'll admit I might be a bit sympathetic knowing what a raging homophobe I was at 17.  Thankfully, by the time I was the age Hader is now, I understood how ignorant and wrong I was.  On that basis, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

16 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I think it's safe to assume some of the fans were applauding the fact that teenage troll Josh Hader said racist things because most Brewers season ticket holders come from Walker-sha County.

But I think for the most part, the fans were taking cues from Hader's teammates and supporting him.  Even as a progressive, I can't totally disagree with the sentiment that the outrage directed at him was like aiming a nuclear missile at a mosquito.  It's not like until now, there were any stories that Josh Hader was even a d'bag, let alone a guy with racist or homophobic tendencies.  Unless he pulled a Riley Cooper in his adult life, it's hard to say his teenage edgelord tweets indicate some sort of behavioral pattern for him.

Granted, I'll admit I might be a bit sympathetic knowing what a raging homophobe I was at 17.  Thankfully, by the time I was the age Hader is now, I understood how ignorant and wrong I was.  On that basis, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

I think that's where most sane people are with this.  Nuclear missiles are totally overboard, but so is cheering him.  Groans, light boos, or even no reaction - probably would have been the right response.

26 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think that's where most sane people are with this.  Nuclear missiles are totally overboard, but so is cheering him.  Groans, light boos, or even no reaction - probably would have been the right response.

That’s where I am as well. Just a minimal response, not a standing ovation. Don’t toss him to the curb (a la John Rocker), but don’t act like he’s overcome a personal tragedy. It’s not like he’s Luke Heimlich, it’s just some disgusting tweets that hopefully don’t reflect his current views.

There will always be :censored:s who will cheer him on for those racist tweets, we just have to understand that they don’t speak for the whole fan base. I’m sure there are Giants fans who’d gladly parrot Hunter Strickland’s racial epithets, and we just have to work around them.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No arguments there.  I don't want to nuke him, nor do I want to give him a standing O.  Personally, I would've preferred no reaction; knowing that literally any reaction was going to be politicized and analyzed to death.  The people cheering Josh Hader did neither him nor themselves any favors.

Archived