2018 MLB Season

FiddySicks

/Checks MLB standings.

Oh my God, some AL team is going to miss the playoffs with a better record than the top seed in the NL, right?  BALLER

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, rams80 said:

/Checks MLB standings.

Oh my God, some AL team is going to miss the playoffs with a better record than the top seed in the NL, right?  BALLER

The team with the longest playoff drought in MLB is going to.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

11 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Cleveland is basically the big beneficary. They basically have a playoff spot sewn up because they play in an awful division

The Twins are an absolute dumpster fire and are in...second?  Wow. Four AA teams have basically stepped aside and said “Go ‘head Cleveland.”

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

The Twins are an absolute dumpster fire and are in...second?  Wow. Four AA teams have basically stepped aside and said “Go ‘head Cleveland.”

Not really. Tribe are 2.5 games out of the 2nd seed in the AL and would be the number 1 seed in the NL.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

7 minutes ago, PittsburghSucks said:

Not really. Tribe are 2.5 games out of the 2nd seed in the AL and would be the number 1 seed in the NL.

And the Orioles have rolled over for everyone in the AL East as well. The top teams are winning the games they're supposed to and the bottom teams aren't putting up much of a fight this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Daniel Murphy to the Cubs.  Allegedly Harper to the Dodgers.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

55 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Daniel Murphy to the Cubs.  Allegedly Harper to the Dodgers.

Nice pick up for your Cubs. According to MLB.com, the Dodgers claimed Harper on "revocable" waivers, but as of right now, he's staying in DC.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm rusty on MLB player transaction rules: once you revoke waivers on a player, you can't do it again for the rest of the year, correct? So this would lock Harper in with the Nats for the year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

18 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm rusty on MLB player transaction rules: once you revoke waivers on a player, you can't do it again for the rest of the year, correct? So this would lock Harper in with the Nats for the year.

Yes, I believe so.

EDIT: They could technically place him on irrevocable waivers, but that would be dumb, because the Nats would still be on the hook for all but about $100,000 of his remaining salary.

6fQjS3M.png

5 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

EDIT: They could technically place him on irrevocable waivers, but that would be dumb, because the Nats would still be on the hook for all but about $100,000 of his remaining salary.

Wouldn't the claiming team be responsible for his salary?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Wings said:

With trumpets blaring, here comes the Cardinals. 

We were overdue for another Red Sox/Cardinals World Series, anyway.

This isn't a knock on the Indians because you can only play what your schedule says, but the AL Central is so much worse than the AL West it's not even funny. Those two teams that they were 2.5 games behind as of yesterday, Oakland and Houston, play each other 19 times. They also both play Seattle 19 times. Even Anaheim, with their current record and with zero adjustment for level of competition, would be in second place in the Central right now. 3rd place in the Central would be in last place in the West, with the other two teams beneath them even so much worse than that.

So to point out that Cleveland is on the heels of the other two teams with zero added context is a little misleading. And, in a broader sense, it's just another reason why having an unbalanced schedule while having wild card spots fought across the entire league are two things that shouldn't be mixed together. I think Cleveland's a very good team, and I said here earlier in the season that I think their record would've been better in the early going if they had a tougher playoff position to fight for. I fully can subscribe to the idea of there not being much of a sense of urgency, because nobody else was ever going to win the Central this season, and I also can subscribe to the idea that the front office didn't bother spending money on the bullpen like they probably should have because, with their more limited financial capabilities, it was easier to wait until the end of July and only have to pay two months' worth of salaries than 4-6 months worth. Injuries didn't help. They slept-walked because they could afford to do that. Nobody else could afford to do that. Cleveland won 94 games in 2016, and 101 last year. I don't think anyone ever was going to overlook them as being a weak sister compared to the Red Sox, Astros, and Yankees. They're all well-matched in a postseason series. I would still rate Oakland and Seattle beneath both of them though both of them, Oakland especially, have proven to be quite decent relative to expectations. 

Just looking over at the NL quickly, and with my tongue now removed from my cheek, all I have to say to that is that if the Cubs don't win the pennant this year then they really blew an opportunity. With the Dodgers having a rotten season beseiged by injury, they are so far and away the best team in the NL. There isn't a team they should face in a playoff series who should beat them. I think any of the top-4 AL teams should beat the Cubs in a World Series matchup, but wow should the Cubs have a pretty clear path to getting there.

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

We were overdue for another Red Sox/Cardinals World Series, anyway.

This isn't a knock on the Indians because you can only play what your schedule says, but the AL Central is so much worse than the AL West it's not even funny. Those two teams that they were 2.5 games behind as of yesterday, Oakland and Houston, play each other 19 times. They also both play Seattle 19 times. Even Anaheim, with their current record and with zero adjustment for level of competition, would be in second place in the Central right now. 3rd place in the Central would be in last place in the West, with the other two teams beneath them even so much worse than that.

So to point out that Cleveland is on the heels of the other two teams with zero added context is a little misleading. And, in a broader sense, it's just another reason why having an unbalanced schedule while having wild card spots fought across the entire league are two things that shouldn't be mixed together. I think Cleveland's a very good team, and I said here earlier in the season that I think their record would've been better in the early going if they had a tougher playoff position to fight for. I fully can subscribe to the idea of there not being much of a sense of urgency, because nobody else was ever going to win the Central this season, and I also can subscribe to the idea that the front office didn't bother spending money on the bullpen like they probably should have because, with their more limited financial capabilities, it was easier to wait until the end of July and only have to pay two months' worth of salaries than 4-6 months worth. Injuries didn't help. They slept-walked because they could afford to do that. Nobody else could afford to do that. Cleveland won 94 games in 2016, and 101 last year. I don't think anyone ever was going to overlook them as being a weak sister compared to the Red Sox, Astros, and Yankees. They're all well-matched in a postseason series. I would still rate Oakland and Seattle beneath both of them though both of them, Oakland especially, have proven to be quite decent relative to expectations. 

Just looking over at the NL quickly, and with my tongue now removed from my cheek, all I have to say to that is that if the Cubs don't win the pennant this year then they really blew an opportunity. With the Dodgers having a rotten season beseiged by injury, they are so far and away the best team in the NL. There isn't a team they should face in a playoff series who should beat them. I think any of the top-4 AL teams should beat the Cubs in a World Series matchup, but wow should the Cubs have a pretty clear path to getting there.

No such thing as a clear path in the MLB. 100 win teams can go out just like that. Hell, don’t even give the division to the Cubbies yet. Cardinals are hot right now and only 2.5 back. Brewers aren’t out of it by any means. And what happens if the Dbacks or Braves catch fire? I’ll take my Cardinals over the Cubs in a 5 game series RIGHT NOW (maybe not down the road, but you never know). Cubs have been sleepwalking lately.

Archived