2018 MLB Season

FiddySicks

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It says here I'm supposed to pitch you breaking balls low and away" is extremely lame to me. I can do without cheat sheets for the rest of the fielders, too.The pendulum has swung too far toward data; part of what's gonna make Javy Baez's MVP so rewarding is that he's a lunkhead who still does amazing things almost every day through athleticism and sheer will. It's almost as if baseball is a sport.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 hours ago, willmorris said:

We have another Kapler idea!

Only because I know that @slapshot is an actual baseball umpire, I'm curious to hear his thoughts on the matter.

The league itself said it's fine as long as it's not causing any delays.  It's kinda lame, but fine.

He needs to put the scouting report on the back of some sandpaper, since no scouting report in the world matters if you suck.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/5/2018 at 6:19 PM, Shumway said:

:censored:

Apparently, the doctors are saying that Ohtani, who hit 2 HOMERUNS WITH A TORN UCL LAST NIGHT, could DH next season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, then return to pitch in 2020.

Once again, I'm thrilled, but I'm also terrified. Give 'em hell, Shohei.

Edit: Today also marks the anniversary of the one and only baseball game I have on a VHS tape.

tumblr_inline_mspl4jaKzL1qz4rgp.jpg

3 hours ago, Shumway said:

Today also marks the anniversary of the one and only baseball game I have on a VHS tape.

tumblr_inline_mspl4jaKzL1qz4rgp.jpg

Might not be a understatement to say that 2131 saved baseball, or at least greatly sped up the recovery process from the ‘94 strike. 

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Might not be a understatement to say that 2131 saved baseball, or at least greatly sped up the recovery process from the ‘94 strike. 

The latter at the very least. I think most people credit the McGwire/Sosa PED-aided Homerun Race for saving baseball.

Long story short: Steroids saved baseball. :D

Maybe the biggest highlight in otherwise disappointing Detroit Tigers season, the team's TV voice, Mario Impemba, and color analyst Rod Allen got into a fist-fight at the Cell in Chicago, with supposedly Allen choking-out Impemba outside of their broadcast booth; the root of their argument was over a damn chair.  Anyone familiar with this tandem already knows these two are not the best of friends at all...one of them is definitely not coming back to the Tigers' TV booth.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/sources-rod-allen-choked-mario-impemba-after-disagreement-over-chair-in-tigers-broadcast-booth

11 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Question: what difference is there between this cheat sheet and the wristbands that some quarterbacks wear with the plays on them?

I suppose the only real difference, as with steroids, is that football's integrity isn't worth fighting for. They're already beyond the wristbands in having the coach be able to speak directly to the quarterback on the field. Fine, whatever; football has always been into razzle-dazzle technical advances in their war games. There's just something about a pitcher consulting his instruction manual in the middle of a game, as if he's assembling a new TV, that's so unbecoming to me. Get the hitter out by memory or by brute force. That's what the money's for. I don't buy tickets to a play hoping to see a table read.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Baffling that the Nats game tomorrow wasn't moved to a neutral site. The Brewers and Blue Jays don't have home games tomorrow, go there.

i am just wondering if there are going to have a lot of make-up games at the end of the season (for playoffs).  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

8 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Yanks were almost no hit by the Twins.

Division is already over, Sox keep winning.

A's keep winning, Yankees could be facing a 1 game playoff in Oakland.

Not good times in Yankeeland.

Hopefully Sanchez starts. Nail in the coffin.

The fine people at MLB.com beat their ****s to Baez. I’m just sure of it.

Atlanta has a 6 game lead in the East. They just had a pretty ugly showing in St Louis, but at least managed to split the series 2-1. They play the Phillies, who are 6 games back, in a 4 game series, then the Mets for 3, and close the season with a 3 game series in Philly. Meanwhile the Nats are almost caught up to the Phillies for second in the East.

The Braves will find a way to collapse. After all, Atlanta's sports tradition must endure.

ICXC NIKA

Archived