2018 MLB Season

FiddySicks

I'm really torn between my desire for chaotic outcomes with the rational part of my brain that says four single play-in games sandwiched between normal playoffs and a 162-game regular season is a scheme that makes zero sense.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not even a fan of the second wild card, but this weird little double-elimination tournament is a fun once-in-a-blue-moon wrinkle akin to that strike season with the pairs of division champions.

Should be a fun game today, god knows we can't say the Brewers aren't due for a loss. These aren't the Tigers!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, this should be a fun afternoon of tiebreakers. But this is crazy because the losers then have to travel later that night for tomorrow’s Wild Card game. I know you can’t predict these things but they should’ve had the AL game tomorrow and the NL game the day after. 

XM4KeeA.png

I got to say, I'm kind of amazed Milwaukee is the team that's leveling up and trying to topple the Cubs in the division. Granted, St. Louis didn't have a bad season either by any means, but I'm surprised to see them take this big step forward. I feel since they're 2011 run, they kind of petered back into unknown baseball mediocrity, somehow one emerging as a dangerous threat with the signing of Yelich and Cain. 

Dodgers and Rockies should be a fun one too. I got no horse in that race, so it'll be some good baseball watching at work.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

The Reds had their worst attendance this season since 1984. They drew more fans in the strike shortened 1994 season than they did this season. (21 home games were cancelled) They are blaming the bad weather impacted on home games this season. (14 rain delays, 2 game time shifts due to weather, and 2 postponments).Me thinks the fans fed up with the leadership, ownership, pitching and consistent loosing subpar teams has more to do with it than bad weather.

Signature intentionally left blank

Mike Scioscia officially not returning as Angels manager after 19 seasons on the job.

Yesterday's press conference was pretty emotional. Yes, he probably should have been out a couple years ago. Yes, beyond the 2002 title in his third year and ALCS apperances in 2005 and 2009, he was 1-12 in postseason games with only one postseason appearance in the last 8 seasons, 2014 sweep to the Royals, and over that 8 season stretch, the Angels finished an average of 11 games out of first place. However, Mike Scioscia is still far and away the most successful manager in franchise history.

He's easily the most tenured at 19 seasons, 3,078 games (the previous high was nine seasons, 1,332 games by their inaugural manager Bill Rigney). He's easily the winningest manager in franchise history (1,650 wins to Rigney's 625, and despite those last 8 seasons, the highest win percentage at .536 (1,650-1,428) to Gene Mauch's .533 (379-332 over two tenures). And add in the 2002 World Series that, without it, I'd probably have zero interest in baseball today. That championship, the subsequent addition of Vlad Guerrero and the 2002-09 success under Scioscia changed the trajectory of this franchise forever.

It's going to be ridiculously strange to see someone else on that top step of the dugout. Scioscia was the steady temper of the Angels guiding Darin Erstad, David Eckstein, Garrett Anderson, Tim Salmon, Vlad Guerrero, Bartolo Colon, Jered Weaver, Howie Kendrick, Erick Aybar, and on and on (and being dragged along by Mike Trout over the last 6 seasons).

Thank you, Sosh. Good luck on wherever you land next.

Now onto letting Trout pick the next manager.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

18 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

The Reds had their worst attendance this season since 1984. They drew more fans in the strike shortened 1994 season than they did this season. (21 home games were cancelled) They are blaming the bad weather impacted on home games this season. (14 rain delays, 2 game time shifts due to weather, and 2 postponments).Me thinks the fans fed up with the leadership, ownership, pitching and consistent loosing subpar teams has more to do with it than bad weather.

If they're really blaming the weather then we have a lot more bad seasons ahead of us. It's the losing! It's nothing else. There's always bad weather because this is Cincinnati and we get 11 nice days a year. Spend money, get better players, win and people will come to the stadium. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's been very disenchanting watching the Cubs slowly decline into a kinda-fun-kinda-good-but-can't-win-when-it-matters team.  The culmination of things that led to the 2016 title was worth it all, and it's difficult to complain about rooting for a team that is always competitive and in the hunt.  That said, whatever magic made 2016 happen has been voided in subsequent seasons thanks to crappy decision making from Maddon and Theo.

Losing Travis Wood and counting on Mike Montgomery to be your sole long-relief option.  Banking on a closer with a history of injuries to give you a full season.  Ponying up the cash for a crumbling, wonky Darvish instead of retaining the devil you knew in Arrieta.  Abandoning the "develop hitters and swap for pitching" plan and simply hope to god the team doesn't crawl into themselves; a habit they have never seemed to shake.  Stupid bullpen moves.  Injuries.  Regressing talent.  Lack of discipline.  Declining defense.  The Chatwood signing. 

2018/19 offseason will be a crucial one.  I don't foresee the Cubs winning the wild card and I don't imagine they'd win more than a game in any series they'd end up in.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

5 minutes ago, CS85 said:

It's been very disenchanting watching the Cubs slowly decline into a kinda-fun-kinda-good-but-can't-win-when-it-matters team.  The culmination of things that led to the 2016 title was worth it all, and it's difficult to complain about rooting for a team that is always competitive and in the hunt.  

I stopped reading after this. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I stopped reading after this. 

Wasn't trying to wave a signal flag for pity, friend.  I'm well aware of how good the Cubs situation is in comparison to others.  Just kinda throwing my two cents out there since I don't really talk sports on this forum much anymore.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Maddon is a terrible in-game manager and any time Theo has tried to brute-force his way through an offseason by spending obscene amounts of money, he's left the team worse off than if he hadn't spent a cent. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, CS85 said:

Wasn't trying to wave a signal flag for pity, friend.  I'm well aware of how good the Cubs situation is in comparison to others.  Just kinda throwing my two cents out there since I don't really talk sports on this forum much anymore.

One team has a more recent World Series championship than the Cubs. At least wait until after they're officially eliminated.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This is the easiest possible path for the Dodgers to get to the World Series. Roll over some weak Central team and a young Braves squad that isn't ready yet. These playoffs are going to be the opposite of the regular season, where the AL side will now have all the intrigue, and the NL side will be boring. It's just a matter of waiting to see who will come out of the AL to face LA.

I'll have no qualms in watching the Dodgers lose the World Series two years in a row. 

On with the show:

ALWC

Yankees over A's

NLWC

Cubs over Rockies

ALDS

Yankees over Red Sox 

Astros over Indians

NLDS

Cubs over Brewers

Dodgers over Braves

ALCS

Astros over Yankees

NLCS

Dodgers over Cubs

WORLD SERIES

Astros over Dodgers in 6

This all seems vaguely familiar.

5 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Mike Scioscia officially not returning as Angels manager after 19 seasons on the job.

Yesterday's press conference was pretty emotional. Yes, he probably should have been out a couple years ago. Yes, beyond the 2002 title in his third year and ALCS apperances in 2005 and 2009, he was 1-12 in postseason games with only one postseason appearance in the last 8 seasons, 2014 sweep to the Royals, and over that 8 season stretch, the Angels finished an average of 11 games out of first place. However, Mike Scioscia is still far and away the most successful manager in franchise history.

He's easily the most tenured at 19 seasons, 3,078 games (the previous high was nine seasons, 1,332 games by their inaugural manager Bill Rigney). He's easily the winningest manager in franchise history (1,650 wins to Rigney's 625, and despite those last 8 seasons, the highest win percentage at .536 (1,650-1,428) to Gene Mauch's .533 (379-332 over two tenures). And add in the 2002 World Series that, without it, I'd probably have zero interest in baseball today. That championship, the subsequent addition of Vlad Guerrero and the 2002-09 success under Scioscia changed the trajectory of this franchise forever.

It's going to be ridiculously strange to see someone else on that top step of the dugout. Scioscia was the steady temper of the Angels guiding Darin Erstad, David Eckstein, Garrett Anderson, Tim Salmon, Vlad Guerrero, Bartolo Colon, Jered Weaver, Howie Kendrick, Erick Aybar, and on and on (and being dragged along by Mike Trout over the last 6 seasons).

Thank you, Sosh. Good luck on wherever you land next.

Now onto letting Trout pick the next manager.

I've never known an Angels manager other than Scioscia, I had just turned four when he started his first season with the Angels. Obviously I would have had no idea who he was at the time nor could I say I was the biggest Angels fan at four, but he's been the manager for the vast majority of my lifetime.

IbjBaeE.png

Yankees over Astros

Cubs over Rockies

Sox over Yankees in 5

Astros over Indians in 4

Brewers over Cubs in 4

Dodgers over Braves in 3

Astros over Sox in 5

Dodgers over Brewers in 7

Astros over Dodgers in 7

spacer.png

Archived