Bucfan56

2018 MLB Season

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Digby said:

The stat I read that jumped out was that Boston's starters -- Sale, Price, Porcello, yes -- are a combined zero postseason wins, still. 0 for 19 or something like that.

 

How is it that I just know that stat came from Dan Shaughnessy without even having to google his name to find the article?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

 

How is it that I just know that stat came from Dan Shaughnessy without even having to google his name to find the article?

 

Boston sports writers have done an admirable job in finding ways to keep making their teams look like plucky underdogs with big shortcomings to overcome when their teams have won 10 championships in the last 17 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NYY def. OAK

CHC def. COL

 

HOU def. CLE in 4

NYY def. BOS in 5

CHC def. MIL in 4

LAD def. ATL in 3

 

NYY def. HOU in 7

LAD def. CHC in 4

 

LAD def. NYY in 6

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, Brewers fans are going to be so pissed when the Cubs soundly beat the Rockies tonight and then come back to win a tough 5 game series versus them in the NLDS. But hey, they got their tiebreaker moment at Wrigley so that's something.

 

Do we even have any Brewer fans here on the boards? I can't think of anyone who considers themselves a fan who posts here regularly.

 

On a second note, this NL playoff situation is kind of tough to read. I was thinking the Dodgers were going to come out of the weaker league again, but with the tightness between the two Central teams, I got a feeling whoever comes out of that series is going to take the series. Don't know why, cause I have limited knowledge on the Dodgers and their lineup, but it's just the feeling I get.

 

Eh. Go Astros I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

Do we even have any Brewer fans here on the boards? I can't think of anyone who considers themselves a fan who posts here regularly.

 

KDubK, NicDB, Sec19Row15 or whatever, half of Gothamite, and that one other guy. There used to be the CCSLC's answer to Rachel Dolezal, illwauk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, the admiral said:

 

KDubK, NicDB, Sec19Row15 or whatever, half of Gothamite, and that one other guy. There used to be the CCSLC's answer to Rachel Dolezal, illwauk.

 

Ah yes, you're right. I have seen KDub and Section/Row/Seat posting things Wisconsin-centric before. 

 

That was also surprisingly thorough, so kudos to you for having the CCSLC rolodex on hand so readily. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was also the vocally Jewish guy who displayed none of the endearing intellectualism or sexual neuroses of Woody Allen or Philip Roth (though I think he did refer to his dick as a "kosher sausage"), but he liked Atlanta teams too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

 

How is it that I just know that stat came from Dan Shaughnessy without even having to google his name to find the article?

 

I'll pass on that creep. It wasn't him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

surprisingly thorough

 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

that one other guy

 

Our bar has never been this low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Digby said:

 

I'll pass on that creep. It wasn't him!

 

I can buy you saw this stat in another article, but Shaughnessy did site that stat in one of his most recent articles.

 

It’s just one of “only a person of this ilk would even think this” feel to it that gives it away. There’s fewer and fewer people out there like that these days.

 

People like Shaughnessy are dinosaurs in the sports journalism landscape. Everything about him and his writings just screams old. Not “old-school”. Just old as in no serious person besides him thinks this way anymore and hasn’t in quite some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

Man, Brewers fans are going to be so pissed when the Cubs soundly beat the Rockies tonight and then come back to win a tough 5 game series versus them in the NLDS. But hey, they got their tiebreaker moment at Wrigley so that's something.

 

Do we even have any Brewer fans here on the boards? I can't think of anyone who considers themselves a fan who posts here regularly.


Man, the cockiness I've seen out of so many fans of the Cubs who couldn't beat the Brewers at Wrigley on an off day for them (the Brewers) is really something.  Especially considering it wasn't so long ago their team was THE poster child for disappointment.  Nevermind that the Brewers just ripped off 8 straight wins to win a division they were 4 games back from at the start of the month.  

I'm not gonna county my chickens before they hatch and predict even a NLCS appearance, let alone a pennant or a championship.  But I can say without the least bit of hesitation that there's no other team I'd rather be rooting for going into the playoffs than Milwaukee.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picking with my head...

ALWC - Yankees def. A's

NLWC - Cubs def. Rockies

 

ALDS1 - Astros def. Indians

ALDS2 - Red Sox def. Yankees

NLDS1 - Dodgers def. Braves

NLDS2 - Cubs def. Brewers

 

ALCS - Astros def. Red Sox

NLCS - Dodgers def. Cubs

 

WS - Dodgers def. Astros

 

Picking with my heart...

ALWC - A's def. Yankees

NLWC - Rockies def. Cubs

 

ALDS1 - Indians def. Astros

ALDS2 - A's def. Red Sox

NLDS1 - Dodgers def. Braves

NLDS2 - Brewers def. Cubs

 

ALCS - Indians def. A's

NLCS - Dodgers def. Brewers

 

WS - Indians def. Dodgers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

 

I can buy you saw this stat in another article, but Shaughnessy did site that stat in one of his most recent articles.

 

It’s just one of “only a person of this ilk would even think this” feel to it that gives it away. There’s fewer and fewer people out there like that these days.

 

People like Shaughnessy are dinosaurs in the sports journalism landscape. Everything about him and his writings just screams old. Not “old-school”. Just old as in no serious person besides him thinks this way anymore and hasn’t in quite some time.

 

I hear you and agree, but the blind squirrels find nuts sometimes, and we can separate trolling from justified trepidation. This Red Sox team has blown it in the playoffs twice before, and has a very iffy record against playoff teams this season, and the pitchers have nothing nice to hang their hats on. Maybe Cora managing and Martinez bashing will get them over the hump, maybe they'll return to a more positive mean, but I don't think bracing for a rough impact is out of nowhere in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few things: 

 

You’re dumb if you think Oakland is winning tomorrow night. 

 

 

Its going to be Dodgers vs Red Sox/Yankees and who in the world cares an ounce about that garbage? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

A few things: 

 

You’re dumb I’d you hunk Oakland is winning tomorrow night. 

 

 

Its going to be Dodgers vs Red Sox/Yankees and who in the world cares an ounce about that garbage? 

 

If the Dodgers lose then it has some redeeming qualities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, insert name said:

Athletics vs Rockies.

MLB and FOX's worst nightmare.

Please let this happen. Great for the fans, awful for the league and the networks. We deserve some glorious schadenfreude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, insert name said:

Athletics vs Rockies.

MLB and FOX's worst nightmare.

 

Cleveland vs. Atlanta would be worse for the networks, because MOD EDIT.

 

Ah, who am I kidding? MOD EDIT would present a lot of coverage opportunities for controversy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GO BREWERS!!! BEST TEAM IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE!!! BRING HOME THE WORLD SERIES!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, this umpire is seriously giving the outside corner to the Cubs all game long. Lester has benefited from like four or five strike calls that should've been balls.

 

Also who is this younger Marlins man ripoff and why is he sitting next to a guy in a Red Sox jersey? I've also seen a Mariners jersey in the crowd. The hell is going on in Lakeview tonight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now