MLB by NIKE

colinturner95

NMJMysC.png

With my college hockey season winding down, I find that I once again have time to post stuff on here again. I've started a bunch of projects, but haven't had the time to get them on here until now. I've got a super massive project coming soon, but I wanted to get this one up and going before I consider starting that one. Enough with that though, lets dive in.

I am aware Under Armour will be getting the MLB in 2019, replacing Majestic and Nike, but I really haven't done a baseball redesign series to date (i'm not considering my Pinstriping the MLB a "redesign series"). So I thought I'd give it a go. Now traditionalists be warned. This won't be a run of the mill white/grey/color uniform set for each team. Some teams will stay traditional in that sense, others will be a little off the board. Expect some colored pants. Sleeve stripes will be bigger for most, if not all teams. Traditions will be upheld for some. But that is enough my talking, I'll let the concepts do that instead. I'm going in alphabetical order of teams, starting in the AL. 

7rWc8kI.png

I don't really have a lot of complaints with the current state of Baltimore's uniforms. Hence why there isn't a whole lot changed. I did scrap the grey uniforms in this case. 

-Hats/Batting Helmets - I really really really am a sucker for white panel hats. However I am not a huge fan of the cartoon oriole on the front of the hat so I changed it to the O's logo. Black hat stays pretty much the same. But on the batting helmets I used the cartoon oriole. The O's logo just didn't look right on it. BP hat is orange with the cartoon on it, and it could be snuck into the rotation of hats. 

-Jerseys - Again, not much is different from what is currently used. Orange jersey becomes the new road jersey, and now has the Baltimore script on the chest. Black jersey gains some white detailing and is the new alternate. BP jersey I will have fun with for all the teams. Most teams will have a logo instead of script on them and will have more modern striping. In this case, two BP jerseys for the Orioles, both have the cartoon Oriole and truncated racing stripes. Also, just to be more modern, I added a chest number. 

-Pants -  White pants only for the Orioles. I knocked around the idea of orange or black pants but found it didn't suit the look. Plus I didn't think they'd want to look like oranges running across the field since they've tried that before

C&C welcome as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great start to the series! I don't know why, but I've always been a sucker for the Orioles colors, black and orange is just sharp and clean to me, and you used their scheme beautifully. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the rest of the league! 

spacer.png

Excited to see an outside the box take on baseball! Looking forward to what should be a great series.

Baltimore is, I'm sure one of the more reserved teams, but I like eliminating grey jerseys especially for teams with little used colors like orange. I like the flashy (in a good way) BP jerseys and use of bold sleeve stripes as well. Great start!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

48 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Looks nice. What kind of scale are we looking at on the piping? Is it thick like the old 80's Orioles?

aarr107.jpg

Or thin like the current Orioles?

manny-machado-alfonso-soriano-mlb-new-yo

Do the pants and sleeves use the same size piping?

Probably closer to the '80s uniforms but not as big I'd say and the pants and jerseys stripes would be the same size. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

3s4Dv1x.png

This one is slightly less outrageous. Owning to the history of the Red Sox, I tried not to go overboard with this concept but still wanted a bit of modern flair to it. 

-Hats - One hat for the normal rotation. Classic navy/navy with the B on the front. Same goes with the batting helmets. For the BP hat, navy hat/red bill with the Sox logo on the front.

-Jerseys - Not much changes for the Sox. Biggest change across the board is the re-addition of sleeve trim. I thought about adding piping to the road greys but it just didn't look right with the "BOSTON" font on the chest. And so with the grey staying in Boston, I also kept the red and navy alternates and in the interest of not creating a massive image I condensed them into the same area. Long story short, they stayed the same as the current iterations with the exception of the added piping on the red jersey and the sleeve striping on both. In my little MLB world, both alternates could be worn at Fenway or on the road if they really wanted to. BP jerseys are a little wild, B logo on the front of both with modern-esque striping and piping and a chest number because why not? 

-Pants - Nothing too wild. Added the piping from the home white pants to the road greys. I didn't have the shorter hemmed up pants totally done for Baltimore, but they reappear here. Socks are red in most cases but I did add a navy set if they really wanted to wear them. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

OuPJGbS.png

Here's where things get silly.  I started to take a few more liberties with the White Sox. I will admit my favorite look for them was the 82-86 uniforms so these are heavily inspired by those but keep most of the modern logos and colors. 

-Hats - Much like the last set of Sox, one hat for the day to day rotation: Black on black with the SOX logo. Helmet isn't too far off, instead with a grey "bill" coloring on it. BP Hat is a bit of a fauxback to the 87-90 hat but uses the current Chicago script C. 

-Jerseys - Jerseys are a bit wild. I took the sleeves from said 82-86 uniforms and combined that with the current home uniform's number and logo placement. Grey and black are the home/away set and the white uniform w/the Chicago script is the designated alternate. the BP unis might appear a little confusing. The grey one doesn't have a chest number because in this little universe I intended it to be used as a BP uni and potentially as a grey alternate uniform. The black uniform with the chest number is a BP uni only. 

-Pants - Grey and black pants with a stripe that matches the jersey stripes. Socks have same striping 

C&C welcome! It's only gonna get crazier from here :D

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I’m really liking this. It’s the kind of craziness Nike would actually do.

For the Red Sox, I don’t know why but the different colored piping is bugging me more than it should. The rest is solid.

I really love the White Sox though. Everything is super creative. I guess though if they wear gray at home, they would force other road gray teams to always wear their alternates?

Great job, looking forward to more!

BCmq0ZR.png

Simple update, changed the C logo on the BP hat to a recolored Batterman logo. Don't know why I didn't consider that before posting the first set but oh well. 

22 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I really love the White Sox though. Everything is super creative. I guess though if they wear gray at home, they would force other road gray teams to always wear their alternates?

I think that baseball fans have been so used to "white vs grey" that it wouldn't really matter. When compared to other sports, baseball is less "mixed" if you will. You don't get a lot of players crowding around each other, so I think that teams could wear white on the road against the White Sox in this scenario. Or they could wear an alternate if they so chose. I'm feel like I'm approaching this like Nike approached the NBA with the whole no definite home/away/alternate sets, but keeping it somewhat reserved at the same time. Hopefully my overexplanation cleared it up a little bit

AmPJ0Ty.png 

When you said, "traditionalists be warned," I was like, "Okay, how fast can I click off of this thread." But then I looked at your Orioles concept and really love it. It's super fresh, technical, but still has a traditional, old school vibe. I love the big primary logo on the alternate as kind of a fun, week-long special event campaign during the heat of the summer. And there's something about that grey White Sox set that is just perfect. I think it's big black horizontal stripe that I love. Great!

This is the kind of stuff where the big four pro sports organizations' marketing peeps need to get a clue and scour the web for quality designers and put them to work. I've truly seen some of best original concepts, rebrands and ideas on these boards than any clown working for Nike can produce. Amirite?

Archived