RGiss NBA Concepts - Dallas Mavericks

R3G

Turning this into all of my NBA Concepts thread.

Utah Jazz City Concept (this post) (V2) (Court)

Dallas Mavericks Full Rebrand (V2) (City)

So, to preface, I obviously based these off of the uniforms and logos this year, making them a ice-ey, snow-ey, mountain-ey version for next year. I think in general I did a good job, but I'd love to catch some feedback. If you want the template I made, I posted it here a while ago, and will be adding an updated version with the shorts soon. Anyway, let's jump in. I hate writing details to go with the uniforms/logos, so you can use your imagination on what I did for different things. One thing to note is that I used the Oquirrh mountain range for the right side striping (left looking at it in an image), and the Wasatch mountain range for the left side. I also took inspiration from the old Jazz all star logo to make the new snowflake logo. OK here it is.

Snowflake logo

31Sfhn4.png

Mountain-Note logo

9rE3uFC.png

Version 1

YwRysJo.png

Version 2

6srWa4i.png

Version 3

zN5WJxL.png

signature.png

Check out my Instagram page! 9.5k strong! @RileyGissemanArt

Love the idea, and it looks great for the most part. Version 3 is definitely the best, the other versions seem a bit over-the-top. My only critiques are:

-Flip the colors on the wordmark, and number. They should be solid white.

-Remove the number from the shorts, it's unnecessary.

-Make the collar solid white. The collar you used doesn't mesh well with the design.

1 hour ago, Chapeeko said:

Love the idea, and it looks great for the most part. Version 3 is definitely the best, the other versions seem a bit over-the-top. My only critiques are:

-Make the collar solid white. The collar you used doesn't mesh well with the design.

I mean he hit all the points. The mountain is a good idea, it’s just too much if you have the changing color stripes like you do. I don’t think the collar HAS to be solid white but definitely change from what you have, it’s a little busy. Great idea though, it’s a cool throwback and city pride look

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

I don't think that any of the jerseys are bad, and if I had to say, the third one would be the weakest. Out of the trio, it has the least personality. The mountain pattern is genius, and the gradient works it all together really well. The presentation is also really solid.

My personal preference is version 1, but 2 is also great and 3 is good, but I really like the mountain design thrown in. I agree is @Chapeeko: remove the striping on the collar and the shorts number. However, I don't mind the white outline on the numbers/logo. Very well done!

the user formerly known as cdclt

11 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Ok so that snowflake logo, how would it look if the “flakes?” Were connected to the lines on the ball?

Something I've actually tried before. Didn't like how it turned out. Don't want to put in the work to do it again. It turns out a little awkward since the corner ones aren't right at 45°

On 2/24/2018 at 1:30 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

My personal preference is version 1, but 2 is also great and 3 is good, but I really like the mountain design thrown in. I agree is @Chapeeko: remove the striping on the collar and the shorts number. However, I don't mind the white outline on the numbers/logo. Very well done!

Thank you!

On 2/23/2018 at 9:33 PM, DDR said:

2 or 3

I wonder what 3 would look like if the Music Note J in the JAZZ mark was the letter-version you created with the mountains incorporated into the ball.

I didn't see this until after I made these. May try incoporating that if I go for what will be v6.0

On 2/23/2018 at 9:22 PM, Zeus89725 said:

I don't think that any of the jerseys are bad, and if I had to say, the third one would be the weakest. Out of the trio, it has the least personality. The mountain pattern is genius, and the gradient works it all together really well. The presentation is also really solid.

Thank you!

On 2/23/2018 at 8:50 PM, flyersfan said:

I mean he hit all the points. The mountain is a good idea, it’s just too much if you have the changing color stripes like you do. I don’t think the collar HAS to be solid white but definitely change from what you have, it’s a little busy. Great idea though, it’s a cool throwback and city pride look

Thanks! I actually posted this on twitter too and the most positive feedback was for the one with the mountains included, so I ended up continuing with that one.

On 2/23/2018 at 7:17 PM, Chapeeko said:

Thank you!

I addressed, from both from here and twitter, the most requested changes: Purple, changing collar, filling in numbers/logo, UTAH instead of Jazz, and reversing colors. Here they are.

Version 5

toEdaAV.png

Version 6

R6BLgg9.png

Version 7

uNRgAoz.png

Version 8

k5aJSOe.png

signature.png

5 and 7 are my favorites.  I think it looks much better with the lighter colors on top.

I'm torn between the blue and purple.  The blue looks really good, but I'm always a sucker for purple.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

15 hours ago, leopard88 said:

5 and 7 are my favorites.  I think it looks much better with the lighter colors on top.

I'm torn between the blue and purple.  The blue looks really good, but I'm always a sucker for purple.

I agree with the notion that the lighter color should be on top.

What if the color was a blue-purple middleground? Would that work or would it look to weird?

tinysig.jpg

On 2/23/2018 at 11:33 PM, DDR said:

2 or 3

I wonder what 3 would look like if the Music Note J in the JAZZ mark was the letter-version you created with the mountains incorporated into the ball.

9rE3uFC.png

Every time I look at this logo I see a guy's head with a fauxhawk. Cannot be unseen.

XcryMwi.png

• 2 weeks later...

K, I've got what I like as the final (version 8 is what I chose) with a court included. It's here on my behance and I wrote in the fancy stuff you like to hear with new uniforms. Here's the court:

0ae3a862707295.5a98b4231f528.png

bc7bd762707295.5a98bc0833413.png

I think I'm gonna move on while staying in this thread with other teams. Which team should I do next?

signature.png

A couple small suggestions for the court would be to make the gradient the length of the court, not the width (although i see why you made it that way), and add the wordmark in white to the baselines.  

Other than that, perfect concept!

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

Today I decided to make a new concept for the Mavericks - as if they haven't been done enough. I wanted to go with a classic but modern look, and I think I did pretty well. I'm unsure about the side panels and would like some help there. Constructive Criticism welcome as always!

N3e8C14.png

Here's our first look at the logo. I wanted to keep the cowboy hat, incorporate a new star logo, mix in the basketball, and have a fresh font. I think I captured a cowboy look successfully here. This is also obviously spiced up with some drop shadows. That's not in the "actual" concept logo.

kFFGNq1.png

Here is the logo without the drop shadows. 

Lg2t1oa.pngoEimZyb.pngHbqgeZy.png

Here is the new "Star" alternate logo. It gives a cowboy vibe, and brings to focus the "Cowboy M".

FcJ08lG.png

Another alternate logo, here's how the "Cowboy Star" mixes in with the primary logo. I almost liked this look more than the primary logo.

Q3pINpk.png

Finally, here is the wordmark to the logo.

Moving on to the uniforms. I don't have much to say about them, so I won't say much at all. I'll let you guys decide how much you like them. Starting with the Icon Edition

e3prXSs.jpg

I didn't want to go with a flashy number font and ended up liking this one quite a bit. I also liked how the star on the belt buckle looked. I wanted the paneling and waistband to be unique but I'm not sure if I just made it too unbalanced.

The Association Edition:

fENiP5z.png

I liked how the white drop shadow looked on the whites. I wasn't a fan of the drop shadow on the others.

The Statement Uniform:

rXMFAHC.png

I liked the look of the Blue jerseys when I put it on top of a light grey, what can I say?

I haven't yet done a City Edition uniform, but I will definitely make sure I have some fun with it.

signature.png

I really appreciate the creativity in your design. To the point of jealousy haha.

The mountain pattern on the Jazz is the best incorporation of that element I have seen for them.

I also very much like the Mavs new logo except some of the basketball lines are throwing me off a little. I really like the alternate logo. 

I like the Mavs colours and design but am curious what royal blue would look like (as mentioned above).

Archived