Melody's Other Concepts: Cleveland Cavaliers 2018/19 City Edition Concept

Melody22B

Hi all! 

Aside from keeping my fictional sport HoopBall running and interesting, I do occasionally have some ideas for other concepts, and this is where I will show them.

I recently came across RG3's Nike NBA Template, and decided to make a concept that the Nets/Nike could use as a City alternate. I remember reading here that one set of jerseys would change each season, so why not pick up something that has already been done and looked great IMO. 

40496543811_e0afd51157_b.jpg

I personally loved the Nets "Brooklyn Blue" Dodgers alternates during the Adidas era, and considering that both the Nets alts this season are black/grey, the colourway deserves to make a comeback to break up all the dark colours. The colourway makes sense as a City alt, considering the original jerseys were meant as a homage to the Brooklyn Dodgers.  Along with the colours, I used a monochrome ABA Nets style side striping. The Nets use a version of it on their Statement set currently, so this concept would fit well alongside. The rest of it speaks for itself really. 

C&C is welcomed. Up next there's a tweak I'd like to make to the Cavs' City jersey, whenever I get to it. 

I9SoMSI.png

29308567630_9f30c1e63c_o.png

chi2.png

40136204761_246372f921_c.jpg 

Bear in mind that if you're using Inkscape, the program has a nasty habit of screwing up the kerning of standard Microsoft fonts. It will work fine for fonts you download yourself, though.

rATMcmK.png

52 minutes ago, Whittier S said:

Bear in mind that if you're using Inkscape, the program has a nasty habit of screwing up the kerning of standard Microsoft fonts. It will work fine for fonts you download yourself, though.

I typed a downloaded font into Inkscape and converted that to a png. I have two Nets fonts, so I'll try both, see if it makes any difference. If not I'll just manually adjust it. 

I9SoMSI.png

chi2.png

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Why not do Brooklyn in the Dodgers style? I think that would give it a look that stands out from the rest of the Nets set.

With the cursive wordmark and block numbers? Keep the ABA Nets trim?

I'd definitely do something based on the blue or grey ones here, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of the whole red numbers thing:

Brooklyn_Dodgers_Uniforms.gif

Likely with grey instead of white (I love the blue on grey look). 

It's improved but I'd tighten it even more.

Fair enough, I did think it was still a little far away.

I9SoMSI.png

chi2.png

After procrastinating on fixing the jerseys once more, and making a different idea, here's 3 more versions of the concept:

40574615221_0f90f1070b_b.jpg 

This is just a fix of the kerning between the L and Y once again, so nothing too drastic here. 

38764619040_10f2273f6d_b.jpg 

40574604951_5579a5c2f4_b.jpg 

These two are my take on the Dodgers baseball jersey style. A version of the Dodgers "Brooklyn" Script replaces the regular wordmark, with the current Dodgers number font, which correct me if I'm wrong is similar, if not the same as what was used whilst they were in Brooklyn. The B in the Diamond logo (a 1910's Dodgers logo slightly recoloured) replaces the full Brooklyn New York Roundel on the waistband.  Brooklyn Script is from here, and the Diamond B logo is[url=https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Brooklyn_Dodgers_1910-1913_logo.png]here[/url], though it seems it may actually be from the mothership. I made both a grey and blue version just for comparisons sake. 

The Cavs jersey is coming, but numbers are proving to be annoying, as I don't have a font to help with that. Copies off images haven't quite been the quality I'd like...

I9SoMSI.png

chi2.png

11 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

It looks good, but it probably wouldn’t happen in real life. I believe the LA Dodgers own all their old Brooklyn logos, including the wordmark you used.

Thanks! Making concepts allows us to do things that may not actually be possible. I do recall reading something about that, which is why the original Adidas ones didn't feature it iirc. 

55 minutes ago, HRC4 said:

The blue and gray combined with that old font is fantastic. Nets definitely need to add some color to their palette.

I agree, the colour combo is one of my favourites, and would really inject the Nets with some colour. Black and White, whilst quite clean looking, gets stale after a while. 

I9SoMSI.png

chi2.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally finished the Cavs concept!

25962959917_a7ac1c2587_b.jpg 

As a Cavs fan, I've always loved the yellow alternates that we had during the adidas era. I'm not a huge fan of the grey City uniforms, but they are okay. I've warmed to the "The Land" wordmark enough for it to stay with the rest of the City uniforms elements. All this really is, is a recolour of their current city jerseys, with less colours. 

I9SoMSI.png

chi2.png

It loses all professionality with “the land” plastered on the front, I like the fixed 2D font and less sharp wordmarks. The yellow is significantly better than grey. One question, does it still have cavaliers written down the side stripe?

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

17 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

It loses all professionality with “the land” plastered on the front, I like the fixed 2D font and less sharp wordmarks. The yellow is significantly better than grey. One question, does it still have cavaliers written down the side stripe?

While yeah, personally I agree "The Land" isn't the greatest thing to be putting on a jersey, it does work as a City Edition wordmark. I was going to later mess around with other wordmarks though, I just wanted to get the concept out. 

The yellow is a much better option in my eyes, and its actually a team colour unlike grey. 

As for the "Cleveland" and "Cavaliers" on the shorts stripes, my original intention was to keep them there, but I kinda forgot to add them on in my kinda rush to get these out. I'm not sure if it would look better with or without them tbh.

I9SoMSI.png

chi2.png

Archived