The Return of Black for Black's Sake (UPDATE: Indians)

coco1997

Hi everyone,

Recently I had an idea: What if the Black for Black's Sake fad of the late '90s/early 2000s had caught on? I decided to create a new black alternate for each team in MLB that does not use black as a uniform color (with the exception of the Yankees, whose shade of blue is practically black anyway). This premise will naturally work better for some teams than others, so prepare yourselves for some late '90s gaudiness. 

Let's start today with the Phillies:

BFBS_Phillies.png

The Phillies wound up translating really well, as the black and bright red complement each nicely. 

I'll try to post a new team each day, and some teams whose identities have changed over the years (such as Tampa Bay) will be getting multiple designs. C&C appreciated!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2018 at 10:56 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

YES! Exciting to see this series kicking off. 90's fads for everyone!

Thanks! Hopefully you'll enjoy following it as much as I enjoyed working on it. 

22 hours ago, Whittier S said:

That look makes it connect to the Sixers in the same era.

You're right! That was not intentional but it's a nice connection.

Anyway, today we have the Oakland Athletics:

BFBS_Athletics_Retro_Inverted_Colors.png

The A's were one of the few teams to fully embrace the BFBS trend, and here I decided to use their retro Kelly green, which works much better in my opinion. I also went with contrasting script and front numbers. 

Anyone have any requests for the next team?

How bout the Sox next? Red, obviously.

Are you planning on using a black base for every team, or just black accents on some? The latter would be a lot more freeing and unpredictable going forward.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

7 hours ago, Bruins said:

Are you planning on using a black base for every team, or just black accents on some?

For the most part, but I can assure you not all teams will follow the same black jersey, black cap template of the Phillies and A's. If there's a team you feel would look better with their own colored jersey and, say, black wordmarks and logos, by all means suggest it and I'll try it out. :) 

I'll have the Red Sox up tomorrow! 

13 minutes ago, Discrimihater said:

Good that you clarified...round our way, the Sox are White ;)

Generally assume when anyone refers to THE Sox, they can only be white. Chicago's American League club wears the word "Sox" on their cap, the word "Sox" on their home jersey, and the word "Sox" on their road sleeve. Boston's American League club wears a "B" on their cap and "Red Sox" on their home jerseys. 

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

For the most part, but I can assure you not all teams will follow the same black jersey, black cap formula of the Phillies and A's. If there's a team you feel would look better with their own colored jersey and, say, black wordmarks and logos, by all means suggest it and I'll try it out. :) 

I'll have the Red Sox up tomorrow! 

Twins Red Home Alternate but with a black TC on he chest

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

16 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Twins Red Home Alternate but with a black TC on he chest

Not really what I'd envisioned for the Twins, but I'll give it a try.

11 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

I love this thread already. 10/10 this is the best gimmicky thread and it's only 2 concepts in.

Haha, thanks! And thanks for following.

Let's continue with the Red Sox, as requested by @Bruins:

BFBS_Red_Sox.png

The Red Sox are pretty straightforward, following a similar template to the A's. Black replaces navy, but a trace of it remains on the belt. 

I also want to thank @Carolingian Steamroller again for providing many of the numbers used throughout this series. 

23 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Good that you clarified...round our way, the Sox are White ;)

Yes, of course haha. The reason I said obviously was because Coco said he was only doing teams that don't already have a black jersey or black in their color schemes.

Hate to double sug but how about a mash of eras for the jays? Black threads with current design.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Up next we have the St. Louis Cardinals.

BFBS_Cardinals_w_St_L_Logo.png

The Cards are a team that have historically resisted adding an alternate jersey to their rotation (other than their Sunday home throwback), so I decided to take a little more creative license with them. I had planned to just do a black version of their home jersey but didn’t like how that looked, so I ended up using their STL logo and went with a red crowned cap. A bit of navy remains on the cap logo and stirrups.

P.S. I'll continue taking requests as long as you guys make them, otherwise I'll just post whichever team I feel like on a given day. 

6 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

As someone who was never a fan of the BFBS fad, allow me to say...yuck! Which I guess means this thread is a raging success.

Indeed! This is just a fun exercise in an alternate timeline where the entire league embraced a very questionable fashion trend. 

Archived