The Return of Black for Black's Sake (UPDATE: Indians)

coco1997

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

Let's get crazy and go MiLB... can I get the Durham Bulls?

Hmm...I haven't really thought about doing MiLB teams. Right now I'm just focusing on MLB teams, but maybe I'll try that once I'm done. 

As a consolation prize, since there's a Cubs jersey in your avatar, here are the North Siders:

Cubs.png

The Cubs are another example of the brighter colors going well with black. I'm normally not a fan of the Cubs' current alt, but I think it works a lot better with a contrasting base layer. 

C&C appreciated!

Those Astros ones really pop with the black in the color scheme. Wow.

These jerseys are nice for fashion use, but on the field? Glad we are past that phase in MLB uniform design! Hahaha.

Keep up the good work, man.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:35 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

If anyone is interested with @coco1997 input I mocked up a Tequila Sunrise 'Stros. 

YES! This is awesome. And it looks even better with @Htown1141's suggestions. Thanks for the contribution!

On 3/8/2018 at 3:27 PM, Jbadger9 said:

These are great! Any chance that we can get the Rangers?

No problem!

BFBS_Rangers.png

The Rangers dipped their toes into BFBS waters but never took the full plunge. I always liked their sleeveless look, so I gave them a black jersey with blue undersleeves. 

C&C appreciated, and feel free to keep the requests coming!

On 3/9/2018 at 9:59 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

To match with your vintage messenger bag. 

I0kZwYb.png

There's one issue I just noticed with this design. The black outlines on the numbers are only visible on the bottom half because the top half of the jersey is black. Could you whip up a version without the outlines? 

4 hours ago, Jbadger9 said:

Nice! The Rangers look great!

Thanks!

Next up we have a double dose of the Rays:

BFBS_Rays_90s.png

BFBS_Rays_Modern.png

The first design is based on the 2001-07 Devil Rays (which was their best look, in my opinion) while the second is a BFBS take on their current Spring Training jersey. I really like how the sun ray logo pops against the black of the jersey. C&C appreciated!

Which team would you guys like to see next? 

On 3/11/2018 at 3:40 PM, Jimmy Lethal said:

you have no idea how hard I agree with this sentiment

Indeed!

Let's continue today with the Detroit Tigers.

BFBS_Tigers_3_5.png

For the Tigers, I decided to use their excellent but never-before-worn-on-a-uniform (aside from their Players' Weekend jersey) wordmark logo. I also tried a version with their Old English D on the chest. Let me know which one you guys prefer!

On 3/10/2018 at 7:35 PM, coco1997 said:

There's one issue I just noticed with this design. The black outlines on the numbers are only visible on the bottom half because the top half of the jersey is black. Could you whip up a version without the outlines? 

I actually like that look, though I think it works best with thicker outlines.

tinysig.jpg

16 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

I love the Tigers! The Orange/White script really stands out.

I'd like to see the Mets ;)

Any suggestions on what to do with the Mets? They pretty much epitomized the BFBS trend, so I'm not sure what I'd do differently. 

In the meantime, I did tweak another team that notoriously went all-in on BFBS, the Kansas City Royals:

Royals.png

This time around, I used the powder blue from their alternate, and I think it works a lot better. Thoughts?

On 3/11/2018 at 3:40 PM, Victormrey said:

Cool ideas for the Rays. Sadly, I think the dark green doesn't contrast enough, how about making it in light blue?

Silly Victor, BFBS does not concern itself with such trivial matters as "contrast" or "not looking terrible".

Rangers are the most interesting so far. I am a big time MLB uniform follower and I never new they wore some black. So strange I have never come across that. Wow. 

I do remember when they wore the T on the uniform. That was also kind of a big thing during the BFBS era wasn’t it? Cap logos on jerseys, interesting stuff. Really, really cool concept though. Enjoying this series! 

Archived