MLB by Under Armour

csura999

On 3/7/2018 at 6:07 PM, csura999 said:

Thank you! I appreciate it, man!

Up next are the Arizona Diamondbacks! This concept I had tons of fun with.

Logo package:

1xyvbd.png

I'll begin by saying that to me, their current uniform set is awful--the dark grey road uniforms are bad... Overall, just an ugly, hideous mess. However, there are some redeeming factors: The snakehead logo being brought back on the sleeves, and on their alternates, there is that beautiful turquoise color.

So I threw out "Sedona red," and "sand," and made a color pallete with a very Southwestern vibe to it: Black, turquoise, and copper.

All jerseys (with the exception of the throwback) have distinct striping on them, and is modeled after their old alternate uniforms--a nice nod to the tremendous culture of the Southwestern United States.

The home whites are simple, and clean. The turquoise stands out really nicely on these, I feel like.

vgrc5x.png

The road uniforms retain "Arizona" on the front of them, and feature a slightly lighter than usual shade of grey, and has a bit of a brown-ish tint to them--this lets the copper accents really stand out despite the grey base of the road jersey.

24y8t9v.png

The throwback alternate is sure to make D-Backs fans reminisce about the 2001 World Series, in which they defeated the Yankees for the franchise's only championship in just their third year in operation.

j7gbc5.png

In addition to that, is an alternate to be worn both on the road and at Chase Field. It is a black jersey and being on a black base, really lets the copper and turquoise accents pop heavily.

xp2550.png

qs8sbd.png

This was a fun concept to whip up! Being a team from 1998, I decided I can be a bit more "out there" with my concept, while sticking to the traditional aesthetics of a baseball uniform.

They look nice. They would look better if they had a turquoise or copper hat and/or shirt in the mix somewhere.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a fantastic series and there are STILL so many teams left. Awesome work. I do actually like the current Rays identity, the color scheme is kind of fun and the name has a cool double meaning. But your Stingrays look incredible, best concept so far. I can’t put into words how spectacular I think it is.  Blows what they have out of the water. Pirates look great as well. The gold cap looks fantastic. 

Well done. Can’t wait for the next set!!!

On 3/18/2018 at 10:20 AM, seasaltvanilla said:

Stingrays look great. Good to see more green in MLB.

Pirates I think the logo is executed well but doesn't do it for me. I think fisherman before I think pirate and it doesn't seem to fit the style of the team. I personally have never been a fan of vests in baseball.

I get what you mean by the logo. Hahaha. @coco1997 recommended an eye patch for the logo, which is a solid idea.

On 3/18/2018 at 4:15 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

This has been a fantastic series and there are STILL so many teams left. Awesome work. I do actually like the current Rays identity, the color scheme is kind of fun and the name has a cool double meaning. But your Stingrays look incredible, best concept so far. I can’t put into words how spectacular I think it is.  Blows what they have out of the water. Pirates look great as well. The gold cap looks fantastic. 

Well done. Can’t wait for the next set!!!

Thank you, man! I didn't know how that Stingrays concept would go over, but it appears to be a hit! I appreciate your support over the entirety of this series.

Up next, are the Cleveland Indians. We are officially 2/3 of the way through MLB!

Logo package:

2h2nywh.png

Recently, the Indians dropped Chief Wahoo as a primary logo, and announced that starting in 2019, they will drop him from their uniforms. To me, that's a step in the right direction. Also, seeing as this series is set in 2019 when Under Armour takes over, this could be something similar to what Cleveland might wear.

The red is darkened from their current shade, to help distinguish them a bit more from the Twins--their division rival.

The font used across the logo package and uniforms is the actual font the Indians use--now, it's also used on their uniforms. The block "C" they use on their caps remains, but however is now outlined in white. The socks are inspired by some that they have worn in the past--striped socks go well with what I want to come off as a "modern old-school" uniform set.

The uniforms will feature something I really miss about their current uniforms: Placket piping. Always was a feature I liked about the Indians' uniforms, so they make their return.

The home whites retain the red undershirts and socks, and are matched with a navy cap with a red brim and squatchee. Also, there is red placket, pants and sleeve piping.

15o9y5d.png

The road greys have "Cleveland" in red and outlined in navy--a reverse of their current road word mark. These will feature navy placket, pants and sleeve piping. Navy undersleeves and socks are paired with an all-navy cap.

r2q0ea.png

The navy alternates can be worn both on the road, and at Progressive Field. At home, they're matched with the red undershirts and socks, and on the road they will be paired with navy undershirts and socks. The jerseys feature white placket and sleeve piping.

2130om0.png

hvc8dd.png

Red undershirts and socks at home, and navy undershirts and socks on the road are a nod to the Indians teams from the 1990's.

I want Cleveland to truly embrace their block "C" logo, and design a uniform set around that--matching the fonts and whatnot. It's a simple logo, yes--but it is nice, and has a nice, classic feel. This is a uniform set while not flashy, is simple, gritty and straightforward. Matches the city of Cleveland's personality!

The Indians look good! You took a pretty conservative approach here. The placket piping looks excellent, and the new wordmarks are a good fit. I like that they're finally consistent with the block "C." Their current look is kind of a hodgepodge in that regard, IMO. 

Already 2/3 of the way through the league? Wow! Keep up the awesome work!

Well, this series looks fun! I’ve been following it from afar, but I think it’s high time I posted here.

Cardinals: Good on you for bringing back the red bill on the navy cap and going all-out on the retro uniform. Nice work.

Astros: I get wanting to do the color flip, but it really doesn’t work for them. Orange lettering and accessories with the road uniform would be the best option.

Nationals: I like having the DC Flag sleeves and the striping design, but the scripts don’t work all that well with a double outline. I’d also recommend deleting the red bill (too Braves-like). 

Tigers: I get wanting to back to the two “D” logos, but a better method would be to merge the two designs into one logo. The faux-flannel on the road uniform is a nice touch, but I’m not sure it’s really needed (the “Detroit” script is a tad too modern for it). Still, good work.

Reds: The “Cincinnati” script could do with a redesign, so that it’s less bulbous and more like the “Reds”/number font. Aside from that, good work.

Royals: I had no idea about the two different “KC” logos, but I’m glad you picked the thicker one. The white outlines on the road are ok (I usually don’t like them), but part of me wishes you’d have blue/gold/blue stripes on the sleeves and pants (more differentiation from the Dodgers). Nice job!

Diamondbacks: I’d dump the black lettering on the road uniform/black numbers on the home uniform in favor of teal, but that’s just me. I always like that striping pattern, and you pulled it of pretty well.

White Sox: The circus numbers really clash with the “Sox” insignia in a way that a block variant wouldn’t. Aside from that, I like it.

Twins: I like that you’re trying to update the “Metrodome” look, but the differences in the two wordmark fonts are a tad iffy. I’d suggest creating a “Minnesota” wordmark that matched the “Twins” one, or vice versa.

Braves: I want to like it, but I just find it far too busy. The weight of the scripts doesn’t support the double outline, and the royal and red are too bright to work within your striping patterns. This same design with single outlines would be more appealing.

A’s: I would prefer it if the road cap had a white outline on the logo for consistency, or that there was no road cap at all. Still, good work!

Brewers: I really like the new blue color, and it’s always good to see the Barrelman patch. I’m not totally convinced by the “BiG with wheat” logo. Maybe it would look better with a newly-drawn wheat stalk that followed the BiG’s lines? Subtlety would help its cohesiveness.

Red Sox: You’ve made the “right moves” here, and I’m glad to see my idea had some influence. Thanks! I’m not fond of the red cap (the hanging socks on navy look better to me), but it’s still good.

Yankees: I’d suggest switching to a different block number font (less thick). I also like the faux-flannel, as the wordmark is “old” enough to support it.

Padres: It’s a classy brown/yellow design, so I can’t complain that much. I would rather have the swingin’ friar without the roundel, but that’s a matter of personal preference.

Rockies: I like the newer color scheme, but they’re still “White Sox clones” with the circus font. Try something with a bit more “heft” that still looks rustic (your chosen aesthetic, I think).

Stingrays: I’d redraw the logo, so that it’s a Stingray and not a Devil Ray (two different animals). Aside from that, I like the fonts and color scheme. If you could work the yellow into the sock stripes, that’d put it over the top.

Pirates: The uniforms are good, but I’d recommend switching the “P” logo to the yellow jersey, for synergy with the cap. The primary logo could be made to look less bulbous, with sharper lines on the beard and face.

Cleveland: It’s just too bland for my liking. I’d go with the “block C with feathers” or “block C on a drum” route to logo design. Also, I’d recommend that you’d use “text on path” rather than “radial arch distort” to render the scripts on Photoshop/Illustrator, as it produces far cleaner wordmarks.

All in all, you’ve done some fantastic work! I look forward to more.

Thank you again for the feedback, guys!

On 3/19/2018 at 4:40 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Too much blue on road, too much red on home 

I get what you mean! I tried to mimic what they currently do, and what they did in the 1990's. Red at home, navy on the road.

@SFGiants58 - HUGE fan of the work you do, and I appreciate your feedback, man! Thanks for all of that, that is awesome feedback.

@marlins2017, @coco1997 - As always, thanks guys!

Next up, the Los Angeles Dodgers!

Logo package:

2eft7y0.png

A classic franchise, with one of the best home uniforms in all of Major League Baseball... The home whites are classics, and are untouched with the exception of removing the "LA" sleeve patch. Sometimes, less is more. This is one of those cases.

10qb8fn.png

The road greys for the Dodgers get the awesome faux-flannel fabric. "Los Angeles" remains across the front as do the red front numbers. The "LA" sleeve patch and piping is removed to make the road uniforms consistent with the home whites.

2ytw3ur.png

The alternate grey "Dodgers" road alternates they currently wear are dropped. To me, they are pointless...

No alternates for the Dodgers. They never had one with the exception of a badly designed blue alternate worn during the 1999 season--hated how it looked. The cap worn with it was awful as well.

@SFGiants58 - I hope that the Royals' uniform piping no longer confuses anybody for the Dodgers because piping is removed for Los Angeles! Hahaha.

Classic team--classic uniforms. Simple as that for Los Angeles!

33 minutes ago, csura999 said:

Thank you again for the feedback, guys!

@SFGiants58 - HUGE fan of the work you do, and I appreciate your feedback, man! Thanks for all of that, that is awesome feedback.

@marlins2017, @coco1997 - As always, thanks guys!

@SFGiants58 - I hope that the Royals' uniform piping no longer confuses anybody for the Dodgers because piping is removed for Los Angeles! Hahaha.

Thanks, and that’s good by me! I like the faux-flannel (again, the aesthetic supports it) and the removal of stripes from the road uniform.

I look forward to your next one.

On 3/19/2018 at 4:08 PM, csura999 said:

I get what you mean by the logo. Hahaha. @coco1997 recommended an eye patch for the logo, which is a solid idea.

Thank you, man! I didn't know how that Stingrays concept would go over, but it appears to be a hit! I appreciate your support over the entirety of this series.

Up next, are the Cleveland Indians. We are officially 2/3 of the way through MLB!

Logo package:

2h2nywh.png

Recently, the Indians dropped Chief Wahoo as a primary logo, and announced that starting in 2019, they will drop him from their uniforms. To me, that's a step in the right direction. Also, seeing as this series is set in 2019 when Under Armour takes over, this could be something similar to what Cleveland might wear.

The red is darkened from their current shade, to help distinguish them a bit more from the Twins--their division rival.

If you've darkened the "scarlet", it's no longer "scarlet"..

4 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

If you've darkened the "scarlet", it's no longer "scarlet"..

Excellent point. Hahaha.

When I get around to corrections, I'll edit it as "Cardinal!"

Again guys, thanks for all of the feedback!

Next up are the Baltimore Orioles!

Logo package:

slmkuc.png

I really dig their current look. In fact, I think it's the best they have ever looked! So I didn't want to change too much. Just wanted to make a couple of things a bit more consistent...

I like their white-paneled caps--they have a part of many great teams and have historic precedence. I am a big fan of it, so those are staying. The sock pattern is inspired by the socks worn by those tremendous Orioles teams of yesteryear. Worn by the likes of Jim Palmer and Brooks Robinson.

The home whites and road greys are basically unchanged (slightly rotated the "Baltimore" script). A sharp look, and I like the emphasis of the orange script and numbers and lettering.

o8cahe.png

2ppm0c7.png

The changes occur with the alternates: The orange alternates retain "Orioles" across the front, but the sleeve piping is changed to white-black-white.

2lm8jzq.png

The black alternates are updated to be primarily road alternates so "Baltimore" is now on the front of the jerseys, instead of "Orioles." The piping remains just a single orange stripe.

9teebq.png

The striping on all of the jerseys matches the scripts of the jerseys they're on:

Black-orange-black on the home and roads, white-black-white on the orange alternates, and a single orange stripe for the black alternates.

I very much enjoy the Orioles current look. There are just a few things I would tweak so I didn't change much at all. Didn't really feel like I needed to.

The O’s really do have a solid look. But something about their “Baltimore” script bugs me. I think “the loop” is to close to the B, sorry if my language is wrong. I just don’t know how I would describe it. 

14o81a1.jpg9qgwba.jpg

The O's look great, like the rest of this thread.

I know it'd never happen, but I'd love to see the Orioles have pairs of orange and black pants with the same striping as their counterpart jersey. They've worn some weird uniforms in their history and maybe they'd be the team that could pull off colored pants and a mix-and-match look.

Archived