MiLB teams with MLB-caliber identities

coco1997

10 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Those Suns uniforms are fantastic! Not a fan of the cap logo on the white set, though. A simple "J" is much more e

This made me laugh out loud. 

Another team with a great identity and uniforms are the Louisville Bats:

BatsMajorAnnouncement32BW-M.jpg

I'd prefer if they had a less generic color scheme, but I really like the scripts and logos. 

What bothers me here is the inconsistency of the number placement on the right two jerseys. Why is it lower on the red alternate and higher on the blue alternate? Both are using chest logos of the same size and placement, so that just seems like a poor decision. Use one style or the other, not both.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/5/2018 at 6:29 AM, skip88 said:

Got a few questions

Who this? How can they have the exact same jersey as a MLB team? 

Any other team do this?

And most importantly ( B) )  is that tomahawk on the guy in the middle of the last photo not placed wrong/too low? 

These are the minor league affiliates of the Braves. They are the Rome Braves (Low-A), Mississippi Braves (AA), and the Danville Braves (Rookie-Affiliate). 

Before the Brandiose wave came in and rebranded everything into overly detailed cartoon logos, alot of teams in the minors wore the uniforms of their parent clubs, with a different hat with their club's logo/letter on the front. 

9 hours ago, Quillz said:

What bothers me here is the inconsistency of the number placement on the right two jerseys. Why is it lower on the red alternate and higher on the blue alternate? Both are using chest logos of the same size and placement, so that just seems like a poor decision. Use one style or the other, not both.

Agreed. I prefer breast-level front numbers numbers or no front numbers at all. 

14 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Like what @spartacat_12 said, I think the current Sounds look is EASILY worthy of the majors.

Others worthy of the list are the San Antonio Missions and the Arkansas Travelers. 

I agree with your choices, but both teams have had even better looks in the past:

san-antonio-missions-1939-home-jersey_gr

front.jpg?_1493926467

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I agree with your choices, but both teams have had even better looks in the past:

san-antonio-missions-1939-home-jersey_gr

front.jpg?_1493926467

I was never a huge fan of the Missions' most recent re-brand...of all the teams that needed a Brandiose makeover, they weren't one of them.

These were great...they're undoubtedly a Dodgers' affiliate, but it's not so close that it's a "clone."

Chris-Nichting.jpg?id=8b628bb9-6cc5-4c40s-l300.jpg

1 hour ago, eastfirst107 said:

I was never a huge fan of the Missions' most recent re-brand...of all the teams that needed a Brandiose makeover, they weren't one of them.

These were great...they're undoubtedly a Dodgers' affiliate, but it's not so close that it's a "clone."

Chris-Nichting.jpg?id=8b628bb9-6cc5-4c40s-l300.jpg

Other than ripping off Arizona States cap logo, those look great

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

On 3/4/2018 at 11:23 AM, spartacat_12 said:

Much like the Modesto Nuts or Montgomery Biscuits, the Baby Cakes have a perfect "minor league" identity. They don't take themselves too seriously, and have injected a lot of local flavour into the brand. It's great, but isn't "MLB caliber".

Are you frickin' kidding me?

A "perfect minor league identity"? No one in town wanted a name change to begin with, and polls afterwards showed around 80% of people in the area disapproved of the name.

"A lot of local flavor?" The name "Baby Cakes" is not even a thing; it's a derivation made up by out-of towners of  a king cake baby.  It would be like me going to Philly and coming up with the name "Steak Cheeses".

You are right; the new ownership/management does not take themselves too seriously, to the point of making the team name a laughingstock in their own city.  About the only Cakes merch you see around town is worn by hipster transplants and what I (generously) would term as "idiots".

It is what it is.

On 3/3/2018 at 8:28 PM, coco1997 said:

Agreed, the Knights have great uniforms. I really dislike their current cap logo, though. I wish they'd use this instead. 

Love the Knights (my vote for promotion to MLB) but I'd rather see them use this logo.

On 3/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, Gothamite said:

The last Portland Beavers uniform was very worthy of the majors. 

portland-beavers-baseball-photo-2.jpg2229581710_0a73100064.jpg

Especially their alternate. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=468053&d=147

YES!! This was classy, classic, and damn near perfection. I miss the Beavers, I miss PGE Park (pre-Timbers reconfig) and I miss the hope and dream that once existed of bringing MLB to Portland.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The Fresno Grizzlies also used to have an MLB-caliber identity:

0mM37V0.jpg

cwrX0f0.jpg

This cap would have been very distinctive among MLB teams:

pKSJi0f.jpg

Definitely a unique look. What is that jersey crest supposed to be?

Archived