MiLB teams with MLB-caliber identities

coco1997

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/7/2018 at 7:57 AM, Shumway said:

I mentioned the Tortugas earlier but forgot about yet another Studio Simon identity: The Hillsboro Hops.

Hops_Uniforms.jpg

I think if they wore the away hat on both uniforms, it would make it truly an MLB-caliber identity. The cartoon logo makes it feel a step off. 

16 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Are there any minor league affiliates that literally have the same name and uniforms as their major league sponsor? I know of the Mississippi Braves, are there any others?

The Helena Brewers are basically the same as the MLB Brewers, only the back numbers are a block font, cuz Rookie League..

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

37 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Are there any minor league affiliates that literally have the same name and uniforms as their major league sponsor? I know of the Mississippi Braves, are there any others?

OKC Dodgers:

5be835b23082f70987fc9c61763f383f.jpg

San Jose Giants:

c84b8877e043c37cecaf798042cc3a8d--giants

Iowa Cubs (minus the "Iowa" script above the Cubs logo):

636391944988697816-DSC-5667.JPG

Burlington Royals:

olivernunez_17burlingtonroyals.jpg?v=150

Salem Red Sox:

2017_Coaching_Staff_8nua647a_7h3et1bd.pn

Kingsport Mets are still wearing the snow white Mets unis:

cut.jpg

Bristol Pirates:

579be583975ea.image.jpg?resize=500,616

Princeton Rays:

josedisla_16princeton.jpg?v=1476829290

Bluefield Blue Jays:

XxfzHIhc.jpg

Buies Creek Astros:

Buies_Creek_960_o04o5l5r_nuo9v08c.png

Palm Beach Cardinals:

dennynow.jpg

3 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Provided they get no opposition from those dudes in Detroit, this would be kind of a cool major league designImage result for rochester red wings

Rochester's usually looked sharp through the years...and any chance to work in a Rex Hudler photo can't be missed:

60214-3544927Fr.jpg66467-4898854Fr.jpg

(But I say "usually" because they've put out some turds every now and then...)

71766-5171994Fr.jpg2002-rochester-red-wings-brian-roberts.j

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Burlington Royals:

olivernunez_17burlingtonroyals.jpg?v=150

Kingsport Mets are still wearing the snow white Mets unis:

cut.jpg

Bristol Pirates:

579be583975ea.image.jpg?resize=500,616

Princeton Rays:

josedisla_16princeton.jpg?v=1476829290

Bluefield Blue Jays:

XxfzHIhc.jpg

All of the Appalachian League clubs are run by their MLB affiliates, so they all take the parent club's name and wear the big club's jerseys at home.

Road uniforms are kind of a mixed bag - sometimes the MLB club will go to the trouble of creating city-specific road jerseys:

Hash-Kylee-2-Westerholt.jpg

sometimes they get road jerseys with the home logo on them:

vMiLB-080413-186-TF.jpg

and sometimes they get sort of crummy-looking BP tops that the big club has lying around:

Hunt-Shooter-3-Westerholt.jpg53d55f79362d8.image.jpg

1 hour ago, poser said:

I always assumed that when this happens the lower level teams get "used" uniforms from the MLB team but some of these teams are copying style with changes.

Typically the Appy, Arizona, and Gulf Coast leagues will use hand me downs of some kind.  I know most GCL teams in Florida use older season BP tops.

On 3/7/2018 at 7:57 AM, Shumway said:

I mentioned the Tortugas earlier but forgot about yet another Studio Simon identity: The Hillsboro Hops.

Simon's just the best.  You can't go wrong with them or Bosack.  

On 3/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, B-Rich said:

Are you frickin' kidding me?

A "perfect minor league identity"? No one in town wanted a name change to begin with, and polls afterwards showed around 80% of people in the area disapproved of the name.

"A lot of local flavor?" The name "Baby Cakes" is not even a thing; it's a derivation made up by out-of towners of  a king cake baby.  It would be like me going to Philly and coming up with the name "Steak Cheeses".

You are right; the new ownership/management does not take themselves too seriously, to the point of making the team name a laughingstock in their own city.  About the only Cakes merch you see around town is worn by hipster transplants and what I (generously) would term as "idiots".

Not sure what you're trying to say here - do you like it or not?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived