MiLB teams with MLB-caliber identities

coco1997

That’s it - it’s a Prarie School/Arts & Crafts design.  

ar6985-1_1024x1024.jpg

4808.gif

It’s an interesting idea, borrowing from an architectural style that fits the area.   I don’t think it was particularly successful, and given its short tenure obviously they don’t either, but they do get bonus points for creative thinking and being willing to experiment.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2018-03-12 at 9:42 AM, Gothamite said:

Hell, the entire PCL had some great looks, from Seattle...

SEA19.jpg

to San Diego.

9271763657_592af6b8f4_o.jpg

1940-san-diego-pcl-padres.jpg

(I love that "g".)

Ebbets Field Flannels does a wonderful job recreating these. 

14o81a1.jpg9qgwba.jpg

• 1 month later...

I really like the new independent league Chicago Dogs' identity. Their uniforms aren't great, but they have the right ingredients: a tasteful color scheme and a very solid logo. While a food-themed identity is a little MiLB-ish, they have the versatility of the name having a duel meaning. 

Screen-Shot-2017-07-28-at-3.29.10-PM-e15

On 3/11/2018 at 10:42 PM, eastfirst107 said:

Now that I think about it, in the early 90s, you could have had a whole league of clubs playing in major-league cities with MLB-caliber identities:

(we're fortunate that the baseball card boom of that era gave us great visual evidence of all of these, and that the cards' photographers tended to take really boring shots of the players.)

60254-29bFr.jpg65957-1Fr.jpgfront.jpg60214-3545423Fr.jpgDana-Ridenour.jpg?id=107f60a0-f52c-48e0-60199-3552187Fr.jpg60206-3542415Fr.jpg60254-234bFr.jpg8464-186Fr.jpg60214-1404Fr.jpg

MiLB unis had some dignity before everything had to get "family friendly" (which apparently means cartoonish).

7 hours ago, NicDB said:

MiLB unis had some dignity before everything had to get "family friendly" (which apparently means cartoonish).

3 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

FTFY.

I'm no fan of Brandiose, but if it weren't them, it'd be someone else.  It was with the new wave of ballparks in the 90s that minor league baseball became Affordable Family Entertainment™. 

I don't have a problem with fan-friendly, affordable entertainment.  Far from it.  If you want to market your team as the Fayetteville Fatbacks or the Pensacola Blue Wahoos or the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp?  I might cringe at the name you choose, but I get what they're trying to do.

I have a problem with design firms whose work is by and large so similar that you can immediately identify who did the work upon seeing it.

nav-logo.png

3 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

I don't have a problem with fan-friendly, affordable entertainment.  Far from it.  If you want to market your team as the Fayetteville Fatbacks or the Pensacola Blue Wahoos or the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp?  I might cringe at the name you choose, but I get what they're trying to do.

I have a problem with design firms whose work is by and large so similar that you can immediately identify who did the work upon seeing it.

I get why they're doing it too.  I just don't see why MiLB can't be family friendly and still have uniforms and identities with substance and dignity behind them.

Sure, it'd be nice if Brandiose diversified their style given how much work they're doing in the same platform.  But unless it's somehow being dictated to all these clubs to get a Brandiose rebrand, at what point do we blame the clubs for continuing to go to the same well rather than, say, a local designer who could put a little more thought behind these rebrands?

41 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I get why they're doing it too.  I just don't see why MiLB can't be family friendly and still have uniforms and identities with substance and dignity behind them.

Sure, it'd be nice if Brandiose diversified their style given how much work they're doing in the same platform.  But unless it's somehow being dictated to all these clubs to get a Brandiose rebrand, at what point do we blame the clubs for continuing to go to the same well rather than, say, a local designer who could put a little more thought behind these rebrands?

Or that teams probably hire Brandiose to look like Brandiose.

56 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Or that teams probably hire Brandiose to look like Brandiose.

Exactly.  Why would they move away from a formula that keeps getting them work?

Blame the individual clubs who refuse to get more creative with who they work with.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived