BengalErnst

What If....the XFL was a success??

Mod Edit 

The Ottawa Renegades returned American Football action to Canada's capital in 2002. Ottawa had been without a team since 1996, when the CFL’s Ottawa Rough Riders folded. The logo chosen draws similarities to the logo used by the Rough Riders for much of their existence up until 1992. In November 2001, Bernard Glieberman(former owner of the Rough Riders and the CFL USA's Shreveport Pirates) took ownership of the team, and made his son Lonie Glieberman team president.  The team played their games in Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  On December 7, 2001, the Ottawa Renegades announced John Jenkins as head coach and General Manager for 2002 with Forrest Gregg serving as the team's Executive VP for football.

Edited by Atomic
Removed artwork

12 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

These are all really good designs. The only thing I'm not really a fan of is the front striping on the Rage, especially on the red jerseys. It just doesn't work for me. On the white, it's fine, but the way the yellow clashes with the red makes it look not great. Other than that, well done so far!

Appreciate the comments, and if you think those jerseys are ugly, just wait to see what is coming down the pipe.

10 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I feel like ASU might have a small problem with SF using the pitchfork on their helmet... they don’t even let the club teams of the school use it.

Maybe that becomes an issue down the road here in this alternate universe.

11 hours ago, Gman13 said:

The expansions seem good to debate about. Here are some projected names for those cities’ teams:

Atlanta Heartbreakers

San Antonio Buccaneers

Toronto Eskimos

Pittsburgh Speed

Portland Brigade

Detroit Beast

Miami Sea Lions

Boston Liberty

Philadelphia Colonials

New Orleans Storm

Columbus Stingers

For now, I know where I'm headed with the expansions over the first few seasons.  But I would love to get help further down the line, also with story lines and rosters if anyone wants to pitch in.

Mod Edit 

Virgil Williams, an Atlanta businessman, purchased the franchise for nearly $10 million in December 2001, and moved the team to Atlanta after the team's previous owners failed to negotiate a favorable lease with the arena's primary tenant and manager, the National Hockey League's Nashville Predators. 

The Havoc initially played in Duluth, a suburb of Atlanta, in the Arena at Gwinnett Center until relocating in the 2004 season to Philips Arena in downtown Atlanta.

The team name was chosen through a contest in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Rommel Rana submitted the winning name.  Doug Plank was announced as the team's first Head Coach.

Edited by Atomic
Removed artwork

For a team in the state of Alabama, the Bolts looks too much like LSU.

11 minutes ago, eick74 said:

Agreed. I think they'd keep that helmet they had from the actual league. I think they'd want to stand out and that was the easiest way they did that. 

3 hours ago, hecticbro said:

Why are so many of these concepts just copies of actual AFL, CFL and NCAA teams?

Because I don't have the ability to create solid logos.  I understand this isn't something that would interest everyone and I'm okay with that.  This is just an alternate history of the XFL.

58 minutes ago, eick74 said:

46 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Agreed. I think they'd keep that helmet they had from the actual league. I think they'd want to stand out and that was the easiest way they did that. 

You both are probably correct, I just hated the look and thought it was so trashy looking so I decided to change the look.

2002: On the Field

The league's regular season structure was set up so that each team played teams in its own division twice in the season, home and away and played against four teams in the other division once. The season again ran ten weeks, with no bye weeks.

The 2002 season was marked by two dominant teams and a bunch of other teams hurt by either inconsistent QB play, or consistently bad QB play.  The Birmingham Bolts had no chance from the get go with their toxic locker room led by Ryan Leaf and Lawrence Phillips.  The Atlanta Havoc saw a fight on the sidelines between QB Jeff George and the entire coaching staff that led to him being cut after just three games and an 0-3 record.  Marcus Crandall and Jim Druckenmiller never established themselves as a true starter in Memphis, while Scott Milanovich got his chance in Los Angeles and did nothing with it.  Michael Bishop showed off his athleticism often but also led the league in fumbles and interceptions that was a great cause for concern in Mexico City.

However, after an 0-2 start the Las Vegas Outlaws turned to Mark Grieb and he rallied the team to 8 straight wins by not turning over the football and relying on their solid defense and in Chicago, Charlie Batch along with a three headed monster at RB dominated the league where John Avery, LeShonn Johnson and Joe Montgomery each ran for over 400 yards on the season.

The top two teams in each division qualified for the playoffs. Las Vegas and Chicago each won their playoff games to advance to the XFL championship.

Enforcers’ opening drive came to an abrupt end on the just the second play from scrimmage, as Outlaws DE Dwayne Missouri intercepted Chicago’s QB Charlie Batch's pass, setting up a 47-yard field goal by Danny Boyd. On their next drive, Outlaw QB Mark Grieb led an 8-play, 85-yard drive that was capped off with a 41-yard pass to WR Marcus Nash. On their next possession the Outlaws failed on three passes to turn an interception into a touchdown. So, they had to settle for a 27-yard field goal. In the second quarter, Las Vegas' defense prevented the Chicago Enforcers from getting some needed heat and the Outlaws offense managed to get a touchdown near the end of the half, thanks to a 15-yard pass from Grieb to Nash. With that touchdown, Las Vegas entered halftime with a commanding 20-0 lead. In the third quarter, the Enforcers finally managed to score, thanks to RB Joe Montgomery getting an 8-yard TD run. However, the Outlaws responded with Boyd's 45-yard field goal. Trailing 23-7 entering the fourth quarter, the Enforcers needed points and they needed them fast. The Enforcers’ next touchdown would come from a 2-yard pass from Charlie Batch to Zechariah Lord. Unfortunately, the two-point conversion pass failed. To make it even worse, the Outlaws responded with a 38-yard field goal by Boyd. Near the end of the game, Enforcers RB John Avery ran in a 1-yard TD. However, by that point of the game, that touchdown meant nothing.

2002 standings

Regular season
Eastern Division
Team Won Lost

y-Chicago Enforcers

x-Orlando Rage

New York Hitmen 6 4
Ottawa Renegades 4 6

Atlanta Havoc

Birmingham Thunderbolts

Western Division
Team Won Lost

y-Las Vegas Outlaws

x-Dallas Desperados

Mexico City Aztecs 5 5
San Francisco Demons 4 6

Memphis Maniax

Los Angeles Xtreme

Playoffs
  Semifinals   Million Dollar Game

April 16 – Las Vegas  
   W1  Las Vegas 16  
   E2  Orlando 10     April 23 – Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles

W1  Las Vegas 26
  April 17 – Chicago    E1  Chicago 19

E1  Chicago 31
   W2  Dallas 20  

Awards

• Most Valuable Player: Charlie Batch, QB, Chicago Enforcers
  • Coach of the Year: Rusty Tillman, Chicago Enforcers

Passing Leaders:

1. Charlie Batch(CHI): 2396 yards, 14 TDs, 2. Sherdrick Bonner(ORL): 1981 yards, 15 TDs, 3. Henry Burris(OTT): 1301 yards, 12 TDs, 4. Mark Grieb(LV): 1165 yards, 9 TDs, 5. Clint Stoerner(DAL): 1159 yards, 11 TDs.

Rushing Leaders:

1. Napoleon Kaufman(MEX): 873 yards, 10 TDs, 2. Robert Edwards(SF): 831 yards, 4 TDs , 3. Michael Wiley(DAL): 792 yards, 6 TDs, 4. Tim Biakabutuka(OTT): 751 yards, 5 TDs, 5. Rod Smart(LV): 525 yards, 4 TDs.

Receiving Leaders:

1. R. Jay Soward(ORL): 661 yards, 5 TDs, 2. Jermaine Copeland(LA): 546 yards, 2 TDs, 3. Michael Westbrook(MEM): 508 yards, 6 TDs, 4. Marcus Nash(LV): 493 yards, 5 TDs, 5. Ken-Yon Rambo(DAL): 407 yards, 4 TDs.

Question: How are you simulating the results?

15 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Worried about the amount of pro teams logos are being used here

Maybe BengalErnst can split the two divisions into four divisions, named the Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, and Southwest divisions, with 3 teams in each of them, respectively. BengalErnst, do you approve of my idea?

49 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

Question: How are you simulating the results?

I use What If Sports to give me an overview but the results are basically random. Once I get to around 2012 or so I will be slowing down the yearly results and we will be getting week by week game results.

15 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Worried about the amount of pro teams logos are being used here

Worried, why?  Moving forward a majority of the teams in the XFL will likely be transferred teams from other leagues. Again, I apologize that my logo creating abilities aren’t up to snuff. 

1 minute ago, Gman13 said:

Maybe BengalErnst can split the two divisions into four divisions, named the Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, and Southwest divisions, with 3 teams in each of them, respectively. BengalErnst, do you approve of my idea?

The XFL is still currently only at 12 teams but as the league continues to expand I will likely split the league into more divisions.

3 hours ago, Gman13 said:

That’s not what I was saying.

@BengalErnst isn’t making his own logos but using others, which is okay, as long as he doesn’t pass them off as his own

are you making the uniforms?

Edited by BellaSpurs
Ooops

14 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

That’s not what I was saying.

@BengalErnst isn’t making his own logos but using others, which is okay, as long as he doesn’t pass them off as his own

are you making the uniform?

Which uniform?

2002-2003: Off the Field

On the whole, the second season was a success for the league. Attendance was in line with league expectations at about 25,000 fans per game, and television ratings slightly exceeded projections.  The brand of play was exciting and entertaining, fans really seemed to respond to the no punting rule along with the mandatory two point conversion. Even with the struggling teams, the fan base was passionate. However, the Dallas Desperados may have provided a blue print to the rest of the league on how to turn a profit, fans of the Dallas Cowboys came out in droves to support their younger players.  Not only did the team save money on player salary and stadium costs, they led the league in attendance.

Vince McMahon announced that the league had no intentions to expand but they would be listening to bids from around the world.  He also said, “There is no way wealthy businessmen won’t want to be part of this thing. It’s like playing real life fantasy football where even last place provides a payday.”

Rosters will be announced after possible expansion teams are announced.

Mod Edit 

The Green Bay Blizzard is an XFL football team based in Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin, founded in 2003. They play their home games at the Resch Center in Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin. The team's logo represents Bruiser, the team mascot.

Larry and Kathy Treankler are the majority owners of the Green Bay Blizzard, but Green Bay Packers owners Green Bay Packers Inc. also own a minority portion of the team. This ownership will allow the Treanklers to run the team operations of the Blizzard while the Packers would send 25-40 players every year to the Blizzard while paying their salaries.

For the 2003 season, the Packers sent the Blizzard RB Najeh Davenport, WR Robert Ferguson and 35 other Packers to compete in the XFL season.

Edited by Atomic
Removed artwork

Mod Edit 

The Colorado Crush were an XFL football team based in Denver, Colorado. They began play as a 2003 expansion team. They were coached by Mike Dailey and owned by a coalition of Denver sports figures led by John Elway.  On August 8, 2001, the team entered an application for expansion into the XFL.  In June 2002, it was announced that John Elway (Co-Owner and Chief Executive Officer), with Stan Kroenke, owner of the Avalanche, the Nuggets, the Rapids, Pepsi Center, & the Altitude Sports network and the majority Broncos owner Pat Bowlen would be bringing an XFL team to Denver.  Like the Dallas Desperados, the Crush's branding is partially based on NFL team which could give Denver Broncos majority owner and Colorado Crush minority owner Pat Bowlen a potential veto over any usage of the Colorado Crush branding.  Also, like the Desperados and the recently announced Green Bay Blizzard, the Crush would be receiving 25-40 players from their NFL partner.

The team's main color and name are in reference to the Denver Broncos 1970s defensive squad (the "Orange Crush").

For the 2003 season, Denver sent QB Jarious Jackson, WR Ashley Lelie and 36 other Broncos to the Crush.

Edited by Atomic
Removed artwork

Mod Edit 

The Toronto Phantoms are a professional XFL team based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  The Phantoms would be the first active team to make a transfer into the XFL. 

The Toronto Phantoms marked an attempt by the Arena Football League to enter the Canadian market. The team was purchased by a group led by TD Securities Inc. investment banker, Rob Godfrey. The majority share of the team was owned by Rogers Communications.  The group paid a reported $6–8 million for the franchise. The Phantoms played the 2001 and 2002 Arena seasons in Toronto, before joining the XFL.

All home games were played at the Air Canada Centre, also the home of the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League, the Toronto Raptors of the National Basketball Association, and the Toronto Rock of the National Lacrosse League. Ironically, the team's primary rival was the Buffalo Destroyers, located 80 miles south in Buffalo.

In 2001, the Phantoms posted a reasonable 8-6 record, winning the AFL Eastern Division Championship, and making the playoffs. They would beat the New York Dragons in the first round of the playoffs; however, they would lose to the Nashville Kats in the second round.

In 2002, they went 5-9, missing the playoffs. Following the season, Rogers entered into a five-year sharing agreement with Ralph Wilson to lease Wilson's NFL Buffalo Bills to Rogers for an annual regular season game to be played in Toronto in exchange for the Buffalo Bills sending 25-40 players a year to the Phantoms for the XFL season.

The Phantoms' logo included a Grim Reaper character whose scythe carried the word "Toronto" with the word "Phantoms" appearing over it. The name came from The Phantom of the Opera, the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical that played at the Canon Theatre in Toronto for nine years.

For the Phantom's inaugural season, the Bills sent QB Travis Brown, RB Sammy Morris, WRs Josh Reed and Charles Johnson along with 21 other Buffalo Bills to Toronto.  The Phantoms also chose to carry over 15 of their Arena Football League players for the 2003 season.

Edited by Atomic
Removed artwork

Mod Edit 

The Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz are an XFL team. The team began play as a 2003 expansion team. Currently a tenant of the Ford Center. On October 25, 2002 Yard Dawgz owner Phil Miller announced that his team would be playing the 2003 XFL season without an NFL affiliate, but he would continue searching for a future partnership.

Edited by Atomic
Removed artwork