BengalErnst

What If....the XFL was a success??

Hey, I saw 4 new teams. This increases the number to 16. For the 2003 season, can you split the teams into 4 divisions, with 4 teams each?

10 minutes ago, Gman13 said:

Hey, I saw 4 new teams. This increases the number to 16. For the 2003 season, can you split the teams into 4 divisions, with 4 teams each?

You’re all about that idea aren’t you?  May I ask why?  I am strongly considering the idea for 2003 or 2004.

I do appreciate all of the support and attention you have brought to my alternate universe league.  Do you want to be involved in any way?  I would love the assistance of helping me research what players would be available for XFL participation along with any story lines.

3 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

That’s not what I was saying.

@BengalErnst isn’t making his own logos but using others, which is okay, as long as he doesn’t pass them off as his own

are you making the uniforms?

I won’t be taking credit for any of the logos in the run of this league. I can’t and won’t be making any of the league’s logos. These just happen to be some of my favorite non-NFL football logos over the years that I’m deciding to use. 

18 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

You’re all about that idea aren’t you?  May I ask why?  I am strongly considering the idea for 2003 or 2004.

I do appreciate all of the support and attention you have brought to my alternate universe league.  Do you want to be involved in any way?  I would love the assistance of helping me research what players would be available for XFL participation along with any story lines.

Oh, sure! That would be fun and interesting.

5 minutes ago, Gman13 said:

Oh, sure! That would be fun and interesting.

By 2005, the XFL will be up to 20 teams. I’ll allow you to arrange the teams into four 5 team divisions for the league.

2003/04 XFL Lineup

Southeastern Conference:

Atlanta Havoc

Birmingham Thunderbolts

Memphis Maniax

Orlando Rage

Southwestern Conference:

Las Vegas Outlaws

Los Angeles Xtreme

Mexico City Aztecs

San Francisco Demons

Central Conference:

Dallas Desperados

Colorado Crush

Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz

Green Bay Blizzard

Northern Conference:

NY/NJ Hitmen

Ottawa Renegades

Toronto Phantoms

Chicago Enforcers

I won’t be needing the 4 divisional layout for two more seasons, and with the changes ahead you’ll have to scrap that plan. 

Also, not trying to be a jerk but I’m really picky when it comes to some things. If you’re gonna help me, which I appreciate, can you use the same font formatting that I use. 

2002-2003: Off the Field Part 2

For the 2003 season, Vince McMahon announced that roster sizes would be expanded from 38 to 40 but the salary cap would remain the same due to the league expansion, and the formula the Desperados used for such a profit in 2002.

After the signing of Chad Hutchinson, and the improvement of Clint Stoerner, the Dallas Cowboys sent 2002 starting QB Quincy Carter along with RB Michael Wiley, WRs Woodrow Dantzler, Raghib Ismail, Darnay Scott, Ken-Yon Rambo along with 33 other Cowboys to the Desperados for the 2003 season.

The talent level in the XFL continued to grow as the league stole top tier players from the Arena League and the CFL while grabbing a few highly drafted players from the NFL who had been struggling. 

QB Akili Smith, WR Matthew Hatchette and RB Maurice Hicks signed with the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz, QB Danny Wuerffel, DE Alonzo Spellman and RB Autry Denson signed with the Toronto Phantoms, QB Joe Hamilton and DT Reggie McGrew signed with the San Francisco Demons while QB Spergon Wynn and RB Ken Simonton signed with the Atlanta Havoc and QB Quinn Gray and DE Dimitrius Underwood signed with the Memphis Maniax.  Tim Hasselbeck signed with the Green Bay Blizzard.  QB Shaun Hill and a little known LB named James Harrison agreed to join the Birmingham Bolts.

Unfortunately, Hitmen RB Ki-Jana Carter once again blew out his knee in the preseason and decided to retire prior to the season.

2003: On the Field

After he had appeared in only four games — all losses — throwing for a four-game total of 494 yards with only one touchdown and three interceptions Ryan Leaf abruptly retired at the age of 27 leaving the job to Shaun Hill, offering no explanation.  The Birmingham Bolts were better off as Lawrence Phillips showed signs of his old form, notching 1,022 yards, 13 touchdowns, the league's MVP and carrying the Bolts to the Championship game on the back end of a seven game winning streak.  However, he also showed signs of lapsing into his old habits off the field. He walked out on the team at least once during the season, and his agent severed ties with him twice.

The highlight of the season was Quincy Carter leading Dallas to a dramatic come from behind win for the second time in three weeks (the other one was against the Chicago Enforcers), on his 26th birthday he turned a 13-0 deficit to the New York Hitmen, into a 14-13 victory by throwing an 80-yard TD pass to Raghib Ismail with 3:55 minutes left, then a 24-yarder to Woodrow Dantzler with 56 seconds to go.  Owner Jerry Jones surrounded Carter with enough talent to succeed and you could see his potential.

Mark Grieb of the Outlaws, Sherdrick Bonner of the Rage, Joe Hamilton of the Demons and Charlie Batch of the Enforcers all also posted great seasons that made their team contenders.  The Aztecs once again dominated behind a great running attack, but inconsistencies in the passing game held the team back.

Despite moving to the eastern division, the Maniax still couldn't find a QB able to move the chains frequent enough to balance out their offense around the rushing attack of Rashaan Salaam.  None of the four expansion teams were able to find their footing as they all finished below .500. 

It came down to the last week of the season but the Bolts, Outlaws, Enforcers and Desperados claimed the four playoff spots.  The Bolts and Desperados would win and advance in the first round leading themselves to the league's 3rd Championship game.

In this low-scoring affair, the Desperados struck first when they went 51 yards on 11 plays in the opening drive, but they could only come up with a 21-yard field goal.  The Bolts responded with their opening drive, by going 75 yards on only three plays and gracefully capping it off with a 36-yard run by running back Lawrence Phillips.  In the second quarter, the Bolts increased their lead by going 52 yards on 12 plays, yet ending up with a 32-yard field goal. The Desperados managed to respond on an eight-play, 34-yard drive, but the Bolts defense made Dallas settle for a 23-yard field goal.  Heading into halftime, the Bolts led 10–6 and feeling confident that they would win a championship title. In the second half of the game, both sides failed to score a single point in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter, it seemed like the Bolts had the game all but won. However, the Desperados refused to go down without a fight. Getting the ball with 5:07 left on the clock, Quincy Carter led his team on an eight-play, 43-yard drive that was not only time-consuming, but Desperados running back Pepe Pearson scored the game-winning touchdown from a yard out. Even though the Bolts got the ball back and managed to gel some reasonable yardage, a 40-yard field goal attempt went wide left, preserving Dallas' small lead and giving them their first XFL Championship, 13-10.  Lawrence Phillips was named the game's MVP for rushing for 94 yards and a TD despite in a losing effort.

2003 standings

Regular season
Eastern Division
Team Won Lost

y-Chicago Enforcers

x-Birmingham Thunderbolts

Orlando Rage 6 4

Memphis Maniax

New York Hitmen

Atlanta Havoc

Toronto Phantoms

Ottawa Renegades

Western Division
Team Won Lost

y-Las Vegas Outlaws

x-Dallas Desperados

Mexico City Aztecs 6 4
San Francisco Demons 6 4

Green Bay Blizzard

Colorado Crush

Los Angeles Xtreme

Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz

Playoffs
  Semifinals   Million Dollar Game

April 16 – Las Vegas  
   W1  Las Vegas 14  
   E2  Birmingham 16     April 23 – Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles

W2  Dallas 13
  April 17 – Chicago    E2  Birmingham 10

E1  Chicago 26
   W2  Dallas 31  

Awards

• Most Valuable Player: Lawrence Phillips, RB, Birmingham Bolts
  • Coach of the Year: Ron Criner, Las Vegas Outlaws

Passing Leaders:

1. Mark Grieb(LV): 2256 yards, 13 TDs, 2. Sherdrick Bonner(ORL): 2050 yards, 18 TDs, 3. Charlie Batch(CHI): 1759 yards, 13 TDs, 4. Joe Hamilton(SF): 1402 yards, 10 TDs, 5. Quincy Carter(DAL): 1054 yards, 8 TDs.

Rushing Leaders:

1. Lawrence Phillips(BIRM): 1022 yards, 14 TDs, 2. Napoleon Kaufman(MEX): 871 yards, 8 TDs, 3. Robert Edwards(SF): 724 yards, 3 TDs, 4. Rashaan Salaam(MEM): 669 yards, 8 TDs, 5. Najeh Davenport(GB): 635 yards, 4 TDs.

Receiving Leaders:

1. Marcus Nash(LV): 790 yards, 7 TDs, 2. Josh Reed(TOR): 678 yards, 4 TDs, 3. Robert Ferguson(GB): 671 yards, 4 TDs, 4. R. Jay Soward(ORL): 518 yards, 4 TDs, 5. Jermaine Copeland(LA): 470 yards, 5 TDs.

5 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

2002-2003: Off the Field Part 2

For the 2003 season, Vince McMahon announced that roster sizes would be expanded from 38 to 40 but the salary cap would remain the same due to the league expansion, and the formula the Desperados used for such a profit in 2002.

After the signing of Chad Hutchinson, and the improvement of Clint Stoerner, the Dallas Cowboys sent 2002 starting QB Quincy Carter along with RB Michael Wiley, WRs Woodrow Dantzler, Raghib Ismail, Darnay Scott, Ken-Yon Rambo along with 33 other Cowboys to the Desperados for the 2003 season.

Akili Smith signed with the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz, Danny Wuerffel signed with the Toronto Phantoms, Spergon Wynn signed with the San Francisco Demons while Joe Hamilton signed with the Atlanta Havoc and Quinn Gray signed with the Memphis Maniax.

Unfortunately, Hitmen RB Ki-Jana Carter once again blew out his knee in the preseason and decided to retire prior to the season.

2003: On the Field

coming soon

Good job, my friend. You’ve put your heart and soul into this.

Well I realize this is 2002... so considering that logo came out in 2011, I think. Is SF going to go after ASU because they were way ahead of their time or is SF taking the heat? I’m sorry that I’m looking a little in depth on this, I think it sits in the back of my mind because I attend the institute.

9 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Well I realize this is 2002... so considering that logo came out in 2011, I think. Is SF going to go after ASU because they were way ahead of their time or is SF taking the heat? I’m sorry that I’m looking a little in depth on this, I think it sits in the back of my mind because I attend the institute.

We will see what happens in 2011 when ASU tries to use this logo. I do appreciate information like this.  Most of the reason, I do this league is to learn more about these teams and players.

17 hours ago, Gman13 said:

Good job, my friend. You’ve put your heart and soul into this.

Appreciate it.  Keep checking in on me here.  Enjoy the company.

32 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I think @Gman13 has a bit of a thing for @BengalErnst...

Well I’m quite the looker.. so I can’t blame the guy 

12 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

Well I’m quite the looker.. so I can’t blame the guy 

That’s true.

Sorry to ruin the fun, but there are some concerns I have with your concepts. First, why all the inconsistencies with the templates? All the templates don't look like the others.

Also some of these templates seem to be taken from this series:

Your Aztecs logo is a clear recolor of this logo, by @mcrosby

Los Angeles Jaguars

And your Phantoms template is a re-use from this series, specifically the Moskva Saints.

Just... if it isn't yours just give credit or don't use it. This is lazy work. I don't want to feel like a jerk, but so many teams are unoriginal. Half of the expansions are just Arena League teams. If you really want to be original, find a single template, and do your own logos and uniforms. Don't copy, paste, and recolor other people's work, especially without their consent.

You know, I really hate to be that guy, but this is just not smart. I am only here to help, not to just shut you down. I hope you understand.

31 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

Sorry to ruin the fun, but there are some concerns I have with your concepts. First, why all the inconsistencies with the templates? All the templates don't look like the others.

Also some of these templates seem to be taken from this series:

Your Aztecs logo is a clear recolor of this logo, by @mcrosby

Los Angeles Jaguars

And your Phantoms template is a re-use from this series, specifically the Moskva Saints.

Just... if it isn't yours just give credit or don't use it. This is lazy work. I don't want to feel like a jerk, but so many teams are unoriginal. Half of the expansions are just Arena League teams. If you really want to be original, find a single template, and do your own logos and uniforms. Don't copy, paste, and recolor other people's work, especially without their consent.

You know, I really hate to be that guy, but this is just not smart. I am only here to help, not to just shut you down. I hope you understand.

I apologize if this “alternate universe” is stepping on any toes or anything like that. I’ve stated multiple times that none of these concepts are mine, I don’t have the ability to make my own logos but I do definitely understand that I probably should have given credit to the artist for their work.  All of the logos in this league will be taken from somewhere, likely recolored or reimagined a hair and then re-presented. I absolutely love all of these football logos and would hate to disrespect any of them or their artists.

Hence, there is a reason I posted this in the subsection of Sports Fan Fiction rather than as a concept of my own doing. 

new thread title:

What if.... @BengalErnst just stole logos and said that he doesn't have the ability to make his own so that makes it okay to take others and not give proper credit or ask if he can use them?? 

1 minute ago, mcrosby said:

new thread title:

What if.... @BengalErnst just stole logos and said that he doesn't have the ability to make his own so that makes it okay to take others and not give proper credit or ask if he can use them?? 

I do apologize, I guess I never saw it as stealing your work. I saw it as me creating an “alternate XFL” with alternate logos that I have really respected and loved over the years. 

Guess it's probably time to remove it and the other artists work you've used without permission. 

1 minute ago, mcrosby said:

Guess it's probably time to remove it and the other artists work you've used without permission. 

Understandable. Do I go about doing this, or will a moderator shut down this thread?