bkknight95

The 1972 Project: Colorado State Rams

On 10/11/2018 at 3:58 PM, bkknight95 said:

Took a little longer than I wanted to, but I'm not going away with this anytime soon 😁

K2jR4sU.png

igeSHmk.png xAWiMuG.jpg

jwXmmji.png rmw7ahC.png

I believe the "chopped up" looking Ram horn is referred to as the "bone horns". I could be wrong about that but I could have sworn I saw it called that. Either way. I freaking love it! There's not a whole lot of different ways to do a Rams identity, but having a different style of Ram horn certainly helps. 

Football - the most recent uniform release for CSU has itty bitty ram horns on the sleeves and that just doesn't look good to me. So to fix that, we're going bone horns across the board. On the green helmet, gold and white horns, and the white helmet is the obvious inverse of that with green and gold horns. For the home and away uniforms, bone horns that wrap around the shoulder and finish on the sleeve caps. I like the new font for CSU so I kept it on the chest and as the number font. Pants have a bone horn inspired pants stripe that tapers toward the back of the leg. in the interest of space, I didn't include white pants, but they would have them and they will be on the uniform picker site. Now for the alternates, i never liked the look of CSU in a gold jersey. So the Ag Day orange alt sticks around with the addition of a Northwestern stripe on the sleeves. And I really liked the State Pride unis they unveiled last year so I kept those around too with a slightly different helmet. 

Hockey - I gotta say that the CSU club hockey teams have really good uniforms, which can't be said for a fair bit of ACHA teams. Okay that said, the hockey Rams adapt to the new look which isn't a huge deal. Ram horns on the shoulders, adapted bone stripe on the socks and the sleeves/hems. Cam the Ram front and center. they also get an Ag Day uniform, with Aggies done in a Rangers' style treatment, with the Block A on the shoulders. Also they get a state pride uniform where everything is white, minus the pants. the Leafs Stadium Series uniforms showed why that remains a bad idea. 

Baseball - Baseball is also a club sport and is stuck in logo limbo, using much of the older iconography from the pre-UA days. There wasn't much I could salvage from that, so it's a pretty new look overall. One hat, green/gold with Cam the Ram front and center. I like the font but not for the use on baseball uniforms, so it's smaller Cam the Ram and a number on the front. Pants have the adapted bone stripe. Ag Day uniform has NW stripes on the sleeves. I could have sworn there was a scripty logo that UA puts on apparel for the Rams for Ag Day, but I couldn't find it so I built one. State Pride uniforms are all white with the same flag elements. 

Basketball - Basketball sees a slight deviation. with the way the arm holes work, I wasn't going to be able to put the bone horn on the jerseys. so I did the adapted bone stripe around the arm holes and did the horns on the sides of the shorts. Colored in the waist bands on the home and away with CSU on the front of those. There is an Ag day alternate with the bone stripes on the jerseys. I used the new scripty font on the front of the jersey. State Pride uniform as well, with a chest stripe on the jersey

C&C welcome! I'll try not to be so long between teams next time

Thanks for following through! These are solid designs as usual! Love the helmets for the state pride set.

Colorado State looks amazing! I love the use of the unique horn style and the incorporation of the Aggies alternates, I wouldn't change a thing!

What does the left side of the CSU state pride helmet look like? Is it a backwards C?

On 10/11/2018 at 4:49 PM, stumpygremlin said:

So random question for CSU. Are you going to do a state pride thing for CU? If so, would it be materially different from CSU?

Honestly not sure. I don't think CU has ever done something like that uniformwise, outside a patch or anything. I'm not sure at the moment where CU falls on my list of teams, so I'll have some time to consider how that would work for the Buffaloes or if I even want to attempt that route with them. 

On 10/13/2018 at 12:18 PM, Htown1141 said:

What does the left side of the CSU state pride helmet look like? Is it a backwards C?

I hadn't considered that when I designed them, mostly because I didn't think I'd add them at all BUT here we are presented with this problem. 

5Fkd7m9.png

Ignore the front and back views for now, I didn't change a thing on them yet.

First helmet has a backwards C, which I can tell you I don't like just by looking at it. 

Second has the flag colored Cam the Ram logo on the side, same size as the flag C

Third has a red/yellow colored number on the other side. 

21 minutes ago, bkknight95 said:

Honestly not sure. I don't think CU has ever done something like that uniformwise, outside a patch or anything. I'm not sure at the moment where CU falls on my list of teams, so I'll have some time to consider how that would work for the Buffaloes or if I even want to attempt that route with them. 

I hadn't considered that when I designed them, mostly because I didn't think I'd add them at all BUT here we are presented with this problem. 

5Fkd7m9.png

Ignore the front and back views for now, I didn't change a thing on them yet.

First helmet has a backwards C, which I can tell you I don't like just by looking at it. 

Second has the flag colored Cam the Ram logo on the side, same size as the flag C

Third has a red/yellow colored number on the other side. 

For the rear facing C, I'd add a white outline to break them up and keep the lines on the helmet. Otherwise, I'd go with the rams head. I'm not a fan of the numbers. 

On 10/15/2018 at 1:11 PM, MJWalker45 said:

For the rear facing C, I'd add a white outline to break them up and keep the lines on the helmet. Otherwise, I'd go with the rams head. I'm not a fan of the numbers. 

CQtaWBl.png

Okay, scratched off the numbers helmet idea. 

First helmet has one change: both C's have a white outline now. I figured if one had it, the other probably should. 

Second just has the now outlined C. both the fronts now have the state flag on the front bumper and the back of the Ram helmet no longer has Cam the Ram. 

Option 1 is the way to go. 

While I'm here, great series so far. Solid updates across the board. It's impressive how you're able to maintain a consistent identity across all the sports.

Virginia Football, ASU Baseball (absolutely gorgeous), Ducks Hoops & Football, and the Candy-stripe IU alts for Hockey and Basketball are some of my personal favorites.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to your takes on UCLA, Syracuse, Michigan, and Iowa, to name a few.